• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

US vs UK

Maidstone General Hospital.. apparently it's got a really bad reputation now! LOL
I've aaaaalwaaaays wanted to move back and I'm so glad we're finally doing it!! xxx

So stupid question but are benefits in the UK like our welfare system, food stamps, section 8 and all that?? And what's council housing? :blush:

I think council housing would be like your section 8 housing? Government built houses that are cheaper rent than normal. We don't have food stamps, our welfare basically gives people a certain amount to live on a week, free prescriptions, opticians, dentists, school meals.

lol i think they need this post all over BnB i love it.

and just to throw the boot in about the whole walmart thing. in a way we do have walmarts here cos asda is now apart of the walmart brand!!!!

We say lift - america says elevator

and i did have a really long list but now my mind has gone completely blank, baby brain hitting me hard today! xx

When I was in the UK last summer, the whole cookie/biscuit, fry/chip, cookie/biscuit, chip/crisp, jelly/jam, jello/jelly thing really threw me off. I thought I was going to starve because I couldn't ever get the food names right! :rofl:

Council houses are like government owned. Like where I live there is Dundee City Council and they own some houses/flats. They are usually cheaper than private owned houses. Some people can qualify to get the rent paid for them too.

I wish the UK had things like the U.S has, like a Taco Bell, or a 24 hour diner. I would LOVE that. Also i was watching Man vs Food the other night and somewhere in America had a Voodoo Doughnut, the UK (or atleast where I live) have nothing like a Doughnut diner. I love doughnuts.

our football is soccer in america, there football is a bit like rugby for us apart from they wear alot of padding and we dont.
a compact car in america is like the size of a golf here which to us is a medium sized car and a compact car is a fiat sceinto (dont know the spelling!) or one of those diddy two seater smart cars. everything is just massive in america!
our large at macdonalds is americas small!!! (got that one from my sisters friend who used to travel there all the time!)

Council houses are like government owned. Like where I live there is Dundee City Council and they own some houses/flats. They are usually cheaper than private owned houses. Some people can qualify to get the rent paid for them too.

I wish the UK had things like the U.S has, like a Taco Bell, or a 24 hour diner. I would LOVE that. Also i was watching Man vs Food the other night and somewhere in America had a Voodoo Doughnut, the UK (or atleast where I live) have nothing like a Doughnut diner. I love doughnuts.

We have doughnut shops everywhere where I live! Krispy Kreme is the most popular for traditional doughnuts, but we also have Cafe du Monde for beignets! I've eaten my weight in beignets since I've been pregnant.

:haha: Is there also 24 hour diners where you live? I'm calling them diners cause I don't know what the UK word for diner would be, even tho I live and was born in the UK :haha: 24 hour resturants just don't have the same ring to it :haha:

Trolleys - shopping carts, is that right?
Shop/supermarket - store
Nappies - diapers

x

:haha: Is there also 24 hour diners where you live? I'm calling them diners cause I don't know what the UK word for diner would be, even tho I live and was born in the UK :haha: 24 hour resturants just don't have the same ring to it :haha:

Trolleys - shopping carts, is that right?
Shop/supermarket - store
Nappies - diapers

x

Some of our McDonald's and Krystal's stay open 24 hours, and so do our Waffle Houses and IHOPs. I don't know if you have Waffle House in the UK, but they primarily serve breakfast, although you can get hamburgers and chicken and stuff there, too. IHOP is pretty much pancakes. I'm not sure what else they serve, though. I rarely go. And I know our main Cafe du Monde here in New Orleans is open 24 hours, too. So beignets any time of the day or night! Then, we also have a few restaurant/bars that stay open all night, too.

I think a diner here might be a little like a cafe? Cos they do breakfasts and coffee and stuff right? And they don't have like our 'cafes' in US hey? xx

This is fantastic!! I'm usually pretty good about figuring out what you guys are saying over there. Probably because almost my entire hometown are Irish immigrants. Best part? When I talk you can hear the Irish a little bit even though I was born and raised in the USA! lol

I noticed this one...
"pissed" means drunk over there but when an American is pissed they are really f-ing angry. Also, we use "mad" as angry and, more recently, like "very" (ex: I just made mad money) ...but it's not proper at all. Very slang.

Edited to add a note from my fiancé. "Tell them they're spelling "tire" wrong!" lol We also dropped the u out of a lot of words too. (favorite, color, etc...)

Ihop has pancakes, waffles, omelets, sandwiches, burgers, chicken fried steaks, t-bone sreaks, etc... Lotsa different stuff! Lol I love me some Ihop! Lol. Denny's is a 24 hour diner as well. They serve stuff like Ihop too but not as many options.

Ah that's pretty much what section 8 is. And Voodoo donuts is in Oregon, my aunt lives there and they're suppose to be the best.
No Taco Bell or 24 hr diners? I'd die :haha: I've eaten so much Taco Bell since i got pregnant and my friends and I are always making late night trips to the diner!

ohhh! you know what. i love those two old ladies that clean houses, kim & aggy?? and i looooooove that lady whose on the show 'you are what you eat'! or whatever. lol my parents have BBC America on 24/7!

I think a diner here might be a little like a cafe? Cos they do breakfasts and coffee and stuff right? And they don't have like our 'cafes' in US hey? xx

Cafe's here are like coffee shops, but not usually open 24 hours. They serve like fancy coffee drinks and sometimes pastries. Diners are really laid back restaurants and serve just about anything depending on the diner for pretty cheap :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->