• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

US vs UK

this is called a fanny pack
https://www.mychildrenfashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fanny-pack.jpg

fanny means something else in the UK i think :winkwink:

this is called a fanny pack
https://www.mychildrenfashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fanny-pack.jpg

fanny means something else in the UK i think :winkwink:

OMG!!! Do y'all still WEAR THOSE!!!??? :rofl: Those were BIG in the 80's and 90's here! LOL If you wear them now, you will be made fun of in the States! LOL

what you call a 'fanny pack' is a 'bum bag' here!!
lol
x

:haha: i love this thread & Jade ur like me :winkwink: from the south living in the midlands, thought i'd share soz for OTness!

Ok, so someone explain to me about tea or what not in the UK. Like a special time of day or something? :blush:

I don't know if I am making sense or not!

Tea time is when you have dinner, the main meal of the day. Around 6pm ish xx

canada is better :haha:

A very good contribution to the thread :haha:
What makes canada different from america? Aside from it being a different country obvs lol but isn't it practically the same? xxx

french and english are our official languages
we have less people.
we have free health care
we have tim hortons (a coffee shops) everywhere
https://www.directoryofhamilton.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/tim_hortons_store.jpg
hockey, we love it.
we are only 143 yrs old
and we like maple syrup.
we say eh? alot too
we have provinces not states
prime minster not a president
are money is pretty coloured, and worth less lol
we have loonies and twoonies (2 dollar and 1 dollar coins)
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ShWR57e9BlI/RwJVdYY_PvI/AAAAAAAAA24/X5qlloSbpw0/s400/loonie+copy.jpg

And you have Marine Land!!! LOL We used to go there every year before my brothers joined the military and weren't allowed in anymore :haha:
There are a lot of Tim Horton's around here, they're becoming just as popular as Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts.

oh some more words that are british that americans don't say is

boot of a car = trunk
fag = cigarette
serviette = table napkin
wellies = rubber rain boots
skint = no money $$$

haha!! a few words my parents have taught me to say, i sound like such a weirdo!

OMgosh you don't have WELLIES?! Rubber rain boots so doesn't have the same ring to it :haha: And do people call gay people fags there? Some people do here a little bit but I think we got it from you guys!

:haha: i love this thread & Jade ur like me :winkwink: from the south living in the midlands, thought i'd share soz for OTness!

Ooo where you from and where do you live now? I'm from Kent and now I live in Lincolnshire :)

lol no we don't :p
but fanny means vagina in the UK . lol

Haha the word fanny makes me laugh.. so does willy. I don't know why, it's just my inner child :haha: I can't say either of them seriously!

Also you could have 'tea time' as in a time around mid-morning where ladies would sit together and have tea (the drink) and suitable little snacks like scones and teacakes. Not really done anymore though but that's what it used to be.

Hahaha Em should have never taught me to multi-quote!!! xx

Ooo where you from and where do you live now? I'm from Kent and now I live in Lincolnshire

from kent, living in wolverhampton :) xx

oh some more words that are british that americans don't say is

boot of a car = trunk
fag = cigarette
serviette = table napkin
wellies = rubber rain boots
skint = no money $$$

haha!! a few words my parents have taught me to say, i sound like such a weirdo!

OMgosh you don't have WELLIES?! Rubber rain boots so doesn't have the same ring to it :haha: And do people call gay people fags there? Some people do here a little bit but I think we got it from you guys!

Ooo where you from and where do you live now? I'm from Kent and now I live in Lincolnshire :)

lol no we don't :p
but fanny means vagina in the UK . lol

Haha the word fanny makes me laugh.. so does willy. I don't know why, it's just my inner child :haha: I can't say either of them seriously!

Also you could have 'tea time' as in a time around mid-morning where ladies would sit together and have tea (the drink) and suitable little snacks like scones and teacakes. Not really done anymore though but that's what it used to be.

Hahaha Em should have never taught me to multi-quote!!! xx

lol yeah! they don't call them wellies here & they're not that popular. i know that in high school if someone wore them they would get made fun of! lol yeah, some people call gay guys fags, but it's really mean to call them a fag to their face so.. it's something thats only said behind their backs!! :flower:

ooooooo where abouts in Kent?? How exciting lol. I'm moving back there too asap! I was born in Maidstone, grew up in Wrotham which is sort of like near Sevenoaks/Brans Hatch :) x

Sorry to go O/T girlys.. just carry on going around this little convo :haha: x

lol yeah! they don't call them wellies here & they're not that popular. i know that in high school if someone wore them they would get made fun of! lol yeah, some people call gay guys fags, but it's really mean to call them a fag to their face so.. it's something thats only said behind their backs!! :flower:

Haha you would get made fun of if you wore them to school or just out here too! We only have them for.. muddy farm places and kids wear them more cos they like to jump in puddles. They've only really got cool again cos of all the music festivals that are always in muddy fields so you need em :thumbup:
Haha like how you say that like it's not mean if it's behind their back :rofl: jk it's mean to say it here too, although it's sorta not mean to call someone it if they're not actually gay.. ifkwim? x

this thread is brilliant! canadian coins are so pretty, another thing i remember from america is that the cars are HUGE! i could start talking about the differences in Ireland but that might get even more confusing :haha:

this thread is brilliant! canadian coins are so pretty, another thing i remember from america is that the cars are HUGE! i could start talking about the differences in Ireland but that might get even more confusing :haha:

DO IT! What's different about ireland and uk? xxx

I have seen House Hunters International and in UK it seems the houses are much smaller, and your washer/dryer is in the kitchen?

How big is a typical house in the UK? sq ft. wise

@ Jade, i was born in all saints hospital :lol: where was you born? grew up in chatham/rochester/isle of sheppey :lol: i want to move back to kentttt x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->