Using 'alternative' medicines etc.

Kitten

Mummy to Theakston & Nyah
Reaction score
Does anyone use any homeopathic medicines and the like for their LO's?

I drink echinacea tea every morning to keep my immune system up and apparently some if it will pass to him, and at night I drink "nighttime" tea which has things like chamomile and spearmint in it.

Last night I was a naughty mummy and let him try my nighttime tea. Didn't think he'd do anything as he won't take expressed milk in any form but I held the cup up to his lips and he grabbed at it and dipped his little tongue in!! I only let him dip his tongue in twice and I don't think he actually swallowed any (not that it would harm him if he did) but I started looking into it cos I know some mums give fennel tea for gas? Anyway, I found that I probably shouldn't give him fluids until we start weaning as it can mess up breastfeeding if he drinks enough to fill him up so I'm going to wait til then but I don't know if you have to buy special baby teas or if they can have normal herbal teas?

I also use rescue remedy night mixture to help me sleep and I had a read up and it turns out I can put it behind his ears & on his forehead & lips to help him sleep. He's going through a bad patch at the moment and not sleeping properly during the night so I've put it on tonight to see if it makes a difference.

Has anyone any recommendations? Any tips on what to use or avoid? Have you come across any disapproval with health professionals? I know I've been sneered at for using things on myself before.

Hi lady!

:hi:

I'm one of those "indoctrinated" into homeopathy as my mum swears by it and hence i've seen results.

The most major thing (which sceptics will say would have happened anyway) was at the age of I was diagnosed with Asthma and the doctor gave me an ionhaler as was like "yeap that's pretty much it, she may grow out of it at some later stage" etc.

SO my mum htrew the inhaler away :shock: and took me to the local homeopath. Within six weeks, went back to our doctor (who is LOVELY by the way) and he was really shocked. No more asthma.

Although I've had an eczematic skin condition ever since. :shrug: But i figure its safer to have bad skin than bad lungs. :shrug:

Also my hair started falling out twice in my life (both in my teenage years) and stopped after a few homeopathic remedies.

Theres other more minor examples but I'm all for homeopathy. And I'm pretty sure my mum started as early as possible with me, when i was just a baby. If you have any specific Qs I can ask her for you. :thumbup:

Cheers, I might see if there are any websites or books targeted at treating babies as a lot of the sidenotes on products are quite confusing, it took me a while to get an answer to my bachs remedies query!

I have loads of homeopathic books, I shall find some links to my fave ones in a bit. I have always taken Bryonia for a cough, it works so much better than normal medicine for me. I take arnica for bruising, I used it all through labour and afterwards. I use hypercal cream for cuts and grazes and apis mel for insect stings.

I'm the same, my mum has always used it, so I bought a Neals Yard homeopathic kit a few years ago and use it a lot.

:)

Yes, I'm curious about where to find the best info on all the alternatives I took for granted before pregnancy, and what the thoughts are on using them with LOs.

Pregnancy scared me into avoiding anything that could *possibly* affect *anything* :lol:

I am very interested in this thread.....I hope you find some answers ;) xxxx

Just been looking for a book and there is a good one on Amazon, called: Homeopathy for pregnancy, birth and your babies first year by Miranda Castro ;)

Ooh cheers!

Don't think the rescue remedy did anything except make him sticky, lmao.

I asked the health visitor and nursery nurse at parenting group about teas etc as they were telling us not to wean with juice etc and they thought I was talking about a cup of tea and were basically just clueless *sigh*.

I've been thinking about this, I saw my homeopath last week for advice on remedies to use during labour and after, and he treats babies as well for all sorts of things, but I don't really know enough about it to advise myself!
Helios do a good range of kits, creams etc, and have a babies/families section, I was thinking of getting the family first aid kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->