using baby carrier and bus the first day from hospital

In the UK you can use a taxi for a short journey without one.

Oof, not worth it IMHO. Newborns have such delicate little necks.

I believe many infant seats can be strapped in with a seatbelt without the base - if you do a search for 'best car seats for taxis' there are review sites that can help figure out which models would be easier/harder to manage.

ETA: here's a link that might help :) https://thecarseatlady.com/taxi-videos/

I wouldn't do it myself but I was just stating that you can do it. Personally I'd feel safer in a taxi without a car seat than on a bus which stops suddenly and is full of the general public who in my experience cant keep their gross hands off a baby.

Many people on the buy and sell pages on facebook give them away free.

I hear you loeylo, not trying to argue with you at all just want to point out for others reading/thinking about this that transfer of momentum in an accident is very different on a bus vs in a car because the bus is so much heavier, so it transfers most of its momentum to the other vehicle (hence why you don't need a seatbelt on the bus). However in a car the momentum transfer between the two vehicles is more equal which is why people get launched through the windshield etc.

Again loeylo this is not directed at you by any means. I just feel compelled to talk physics when this comes up. Sorry for the derail OP.

It isn't always about physics though. Between the hospital and my home is all 30mph residential zones and the roads are pretty much straight one-way streets. Chances of a collision are virtually nil. The bus route has stops every few hundred metres and the bus stops at moat stops. When it stops the momentum has thrown me out of my seat before, even when not holding a baby. I was never comfortable sitting down when babywearing (I'm pretty short) so the bus journey would have been spent standing. I honestly couldn't have stood for a bus journey - even in the car I had to stop en route as I was so uncomfortable, and it is only a 10 minute journey (although we got stuck in football traffic and it took far longer than it should have!)

Makes sense! I guess it really depends on your specific situation. Thanks for hearing me out. :)

I got a taxi home, took the car seat to the hospital and kept it in the corner while I laboured then just strapped it in to the car. Honestly the nurses couldn't have cared less, they just told me I could go then left me to it, so I ended up with a newborn in a car seat, a wheelie suitcase and myself with a 2nd degree tear and stitches trying to negotiate through loads of doors that no one held open down to the front of the hospital.

But worrying from a safety/security standpoint about the hospital but I managed and got us home which was the goal.

I wouldn't have done as well walking to the bus stop, waiting around then bumping and stopping frequently so I would recommend a taxi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->