Using Terry Nappies - Please help

LuckySalem

2 daughters
Reaction score
Mum and dad bought me a start up pack of terry nappies after I expressed an interest in wanting to use cloth nappies.
In my pack I have about 15 cloths and 2 plastic pants, some pins and a couple of grippa thingies. I've since bought a pack of disposable inserts.

I'm a complete novice and although mum showed me how to put them on, I know nothing else.
How do I wash them? Should they go through a 90 degree wash?
Do you use them at night as it's been suggested that I use the last of my 100 disposables for the night and while washing the cloth nappies.
How many more do I need to get?

Is there any other easier nappies as cheap?

Thanks all

you can get much better nappies than terries hun, i use my terries as inserts for my pocket nappies or for if all of my nappies are in the wash, i deffo wouldnt use them as night nappies as they are nowhere near as absorbant as needed for overnight :wacko:

x

Is there some cheap but good ones then cos I just can't afford to pay alot of money at the mo, I just do not have it.

you can get pockets off ebay or i make pretty cheap ones, night nappies are generally more expensive but i use popins which are not too bad (about £15 incl the night booster) but take a good while to dry since they cant go in the dryer, i have never had a leak with them but they are starting to get a tiny bit too small now at just over 20lbs, they still fit but not sure how much longer for, i think quite a few people have popins for sale preloved so have a look in cloth swap and sell, other than that you can use normal day nappies with something like a bamboo booster (which i also sell btw lol) to add more absorbancy for overnight use :)

x

OK im gonna sound really dense but NONE of that made sense to me! lol
I have no idea where to look or what to look for.

sorry for being so thick

sorry lol, right pocket nappies are basically a shell of nappy that you add inserts to, i have plenty of microfibre inserts and i also use folded up terries inside, the shell is usually pul one side and fleece the other side, mine are fleece both sides

popins are just a type of nappy, they are made by close parent

a bamboo booster is just another type of insert, i sell bamboo inserts so i use them in my nappies overnight, you just put it into the pocket aswell as the usual stuffing, or on top of the nappy, under a fleece liner, which is basically a piece of fleece that goes next to the babys bum so they dont get wet (the fleece lets water pass right through and stays dry so it keeps babys bum dry)

x

I actually really like my prefolds...they are the same as terrys I believe? Especially for when they are younger, they need to be changed more often and they are just so easy to wash. When Hayden got more mobile I never could get a fit that didn't come loose so I stopped using them as much. The only thing that was kind of a pain was having to prep them, they need to be washed a lot before they are absorbent enough. But then I found out you can boil them instead of washing over and over and that is sooo much quicker.

There are some of the plastic pants I really don't like, but I love Thirsties covers, they are by far my favorites and then I always use snappis, I couldn't get the hang of pins.

But like the others said there are lots more available out there, pockets and fitteds are my favorites now.

sorry lol, right pocket nappies are basically a shell of nappy that you add inserts to, i have plenty of microfibre inserts and i also use folded up terries inside, the shell is usually pul one side and fleece the other side, mine are fleece both sides

popins are just a type of nappy, they are made by close parent

a bamboo booster is just another type of insert, i sell bamboo inserts so i use them in my nappies overnight, you just put it into the pocket aswell as the usual stuffing, or on top of the nappy, under a fleece liner, which is basically a piece of fleece that goes next to the babys bum so they dont get wet (the fleece lets water pass right through and stays dry so it keeps babys bum dry)

x

Right ok - so pockets are they kinda like the plastic things that go over the top of Terries? Look like oversized underpants?

They sound like something I could cope with if so. I understand the bamboo bit now too - had visions of splinters for a second! lol

you'll figure it out eventually, there is soooo many types, fabrics makes and models its all a bit over whelming at first.. and that without entering the world of 'pretty' fluff.

If you look in the Cloth Swap & Sell thread on page 402, Kota and Jetters have some bargain pocket nappies for sale. With pocket nappies, there's a pocket in the back to add inserts to - some of them they have for sale have inserts already but some don't - you could use the terries you already have for them, or as extra boosters if needed. They're waterproof already so no need for plastic pants/wraps.

I think Kota has three pocket nappies for £10.

Jetters has loads but the ones I think might be good for you are (prices include postage):
4 x white Naughty Baby nappies, £2.50 each
2 x blue ebay cheapie pockets, £1.50 each (don't have inserts with these so use your terries)
and a Mother Ease one size for £2.00. You need a wrap with this - you should be able to use the plastic pants you already have. If you wanted a few, I bet she'd be able to reduce the postage a little too :)

mine are now sold but jetters still has heaps of bargins available.

I still have a couple of coolababy pockets available.

if you look in my siggy there are a couple of links to some nappy articles i have written that will help you get used to some of the different types and a FAQ article which should help you with some of the other Q's you might have :)

Firstly I have to say that I am new to this and have my nappies but am yet to use them as my baby will not be here for 9 more days! It sounds like you are a bit confused by all the different types which I can defiantly understand since I found it all so overwhelming when I started out looking into it all. Here is a link to help you understand the different types of nappies...

https://www.goreal.org.uk/which

The type of nappy that you feel most comfortable using will probably be a personal decision. Most people would consider terry nappies to be the least easy to use and they are the more traditional/old fashioned type of real nappies but are generally the cheapest. If you look at the link above it will give you a better idea of the more modern (easier to get on with) types of nappies. To get nappies cheaper then pre-loved can be a great way to go if you don't mind using them. I would say look on the cloth swap and sell thread, some of the many sites selling pre-loved nappies and e-bay. I personally have got some fantastic deals on e-bay both pre-loved and totsbots factory seconds (including seeing many people selling large amounts of new nappies that they never got round to using). Like someone else said there are so many options and that is before you even start to think about the pretty nappies. Of course some people do like to use terry nappies so you could use them if you wanted to. I personally found terry nappies really unappealing and have some terry squares to use more like muslin squares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->