Vaginal thrush

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by maytobe, Dec 16, 2009.

1. maytobe

maytobe Well-Known Member

I had vaginal thrush in my first trimester and my doctor gave me an ointment, which worked really well. Now the thrush is back again, despite my almost paranoid cleanliness. Can I use the same medication or should I go for a check-up again? I feel stupid to be going to the doctor for every single thing, plus the ointment is Candid and is known to be pretty safe.

I am also worried. Can thrush cause preterm labour? Or is that just bacterial vaginitis? I don't have very severe thrush.

I also drink probiotic drinks but it doesn't seem to be working :shrug:

2. mamato2more

mamato2more Number 9 on the way

I would get some good probiotics, make sure they are refridgerated, and also seriously cut down on the sugars, if you already have not..No pop, candy, etc...candida, which is what a yeast overgrowth is, can manifest itself in many forms, and it can sometimes be hard to get rid of. Have you had alot of antibiotics?

3. Emx

Emx Mum/Cautiously pregnant

Your paranoid cleanliness could actually be what is causing the thrush to come back! Your body needs a certain amount of its own bacteria to fight the candida bacteria (which is why people drink probiotics - to bring your own level of stomach bacteria up).

Thrusah is really common in pregnancy due to the extra surge of hormones - but is easily treatable... I would use what the doctor gave you last time, unless you keep getting it or it gets severe.. you musnt worry about bothering the doctor - any female who has had thrush realises that its on of the most uncomfortable conditions out there!!