• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

VBAC info/support

The OB/GYN and the hospital I'm supposed to deliver have banned VBACs. They won't do it. I don't know what to do. I feel my dream slipping away. :cry:

The OB/GYN and the hospital I'm supposed to deliver have banned VBACs. They won't do it. I don't know what to do. I feel my dream slipping away. :cry:

Is there any other hospital nearby that would do it?

Look for an ICAN chapter in your area x_amour! I am sure they can point you in the right direction. I am sorry that they have banned them and hope you find somewhere that will allow it.

X-amour i remember you from when I had my DD! I had to go to a hospital nearly an hour and a half away to get the support I wanted. Good luck.

Well yesterday was just awful! :cry:

I put forward my birth plan and was categorically told:

No - I can't labour or deliver in the birthing unit because I'm high risk.
No - I can't use the pool as pain relief.
I MUST have constant monitoring to ensure safety - even though I requested intermittent.
I MUST go straight to hospital at the first sign of labour.
I CANNOT eat or drink (just sips of water) throughout labour!
I MUST have a cannula fitted straight away.

I pushed my points and got the consultant to take my plan to her senior but she came back and said no anyway! I just feel so deflated about the entire thing. I burst into tears 3 times and cried all the way home. :cry:

I feel like MY body is THEIRS! From the moment I get into that hospital I can not longer make my own choices. She even tried to make me feel guilty saying I'm sure I'd never forgive myself if I went against policy and anything happened to baby! :cry:

She even offered me elective sections at 39, 40 and 40+10!! Said all I had to do was call up and it could be arranged!?! :growlmad::nope:

This has totally ruined the end of the pregnancy for me. I'm no longer excited - just scared and frustrated. I just want him out now. Then at least I can claim my body back!!! :cry::cry::cry:

You absolutely do not have to do what they say. In the UK it is up to you. Full stop! Even if it is hospital policy it is not up to them to dictate terms to you and it was wrong of them to do so. I'd be tempted to go back to your MW and explain everything in detail to her (and if it was me, I'd be tempted to tell them in that case you are going to have a HB and watch how quickly they change their tune). It makes me furious that health care professionals take this tone and approach with women. Your body is your body, your birth is your birth.

I'm so sorry they were so rubbish and unforgivable.

xx

You absolutely do not have to do what they say. In the UK it is up to you. Full stop! Even if it is hospital policy it is not up to them to dictate terms to you and it was wrong of them to do so. I'd be tempted to go back to your MW and explain everything in detail to her (and if it was me, I'd be tempted to tell them in that case you are going to have a HB and watch how quickly they change their tune). It makes me furious that health care professionals take this tone and approach with women. Your body is your body, your birth is your birth.

I'm so sorry they were so rubbish and unforgivable.

xx

Thank you for the reply.

It was awful - even when I started crying she didn't offer me a drink, tissue or break just carried on talking AT me. :nope: She asked if I'd read the VBAC leaflet and just written the total opposite in my birth plan! :cry:

I'm going to discuss it with my midwife when I see her again but I'm guessing midwives can't go above consultants in making decisions. :nope::shrug:

Where abouts are you? Is there another local hospital that you could transfer to as they may well have different policies. For example, what you've said is the total opposite of my hospital's policy so might be worth ringing around any local ones and seeing what their policy is?

I'm so sorry you had such a dreadful time though.

xx

Also, I was wondering, if you went into hospital and then refused treatment, what would they do?! (But I'm a bit like that!) After all, they can't put a cannula in you without your permission can they?

Where abouts are you? Is there another local hospital that you could transfer to as they may well have different policies. For example, what you've said is the total opposite of my hospital's policy so might be worth ringing around any local ones and seeing what their policy is?

I'm so sorry you had such a dreadful time though.

xx

Well - I'm done. :cry:

Now my DH has accused me of being childish and stupid and putting baby and I at risk if I go against what the consultant said yesterday. :cry:

I've no support from the hospital, no support at home - half thinking screw it all - I'll just section at 39 weeks and get it over with!??! :cry::nope:

I'm so sorry. Huge :hugs: I don't know what to suggest other than ringing and talking to your MW asap and explaining how you are feeling about everything.

x

Hi Ladies,

we are heading down the VBAC route in March (my due date is March 24th/2014). I have my midwife (I meet her on Tuesday at 12 weeks, yikes) and I got a doula, who is trained midwife, but not working as one.

I can wait i'm excited, and now even more excited to have found this spot.

No - I can't labour or deliver in the birthing unit because I'm high risk.
No - I can't use the pool as pain relief.
I MUST have constant monitoring to ensure safety - even though I requested intermittent.
I MUST go straight to hospital at the first sign of labour.
I CANNOT eat or drink (just sips of water) throughout labour!
I MUST have a cannula fitted straight away.

They can refuse to admit you into the birthing unity and they can refuse you use of the pool. But they cant not force you to have constant monitoring, go straight to hospital, or have a cannula fitted. Despite the way they will word it to use it is a strong recommendation not something they can make you do.

My experience is a little different because I wasn't lucky with my attempted VBAC. I ended up with an induction so had these things and for me they were the things that did save mine and DS2's life but it is extremely rare that this happens. Research shows that having a cannula fitted or having constant over intermittent motoring is not statistically significant, clearly it happens but it's rare. Often even with uterine rupture it is slow and the tear is often not complete so even if the very worst was to happen it would still be rare that those few minutes it takes to fit a cannula would matter (although mine was fast and bad and minutes would have matter in my case but once again this is rare). I can also say from personal experience the constant monitoring will not pick up rupture before the agonising pain and an epidural won't mask it either.

I didnt go in at first sign of labor and wasn't encouraged to. When I went in (though different here) they said I wasn't ready to be there and sent me home. Once I was admitted I did have to have constant monitoring but didn't have to stay in bed. Also had to get tge canula but it took 2bearly hours to get it in because I said they couldnt put it in my hand. There are ways to do what they want but also do what works for you. Dont give up yet. They said if I didnt go into labot by 41 weeks then I had to schedule my section. I went into labor at 39+5. My hisband for weeks before kept saying to just go in and tell them to pop me. Umm no!

I am still planning a vbac as long as Bubs is head down. I just feel like I have no idea what to expect. I have spoken with my doctors so I have a basic idea, but in terms of the labor I feel completely clueless.

My labor started around midnight. I woke up with.contractions that felt different and went pee after each one for 5-6 before I went "oh... hey! This is it!"
Even in the midst of all of it they were never "regular" from how they make it sound like they should be. They were often 5-8 minutes apart and occasionally would reach 12 minutes apart. Right before my DD was born they were pretty quick (I pushed for 3 hours) but right right before she came out they spaced out again to give me a.break. idle if that helps. I had 8 hours of hard labor but from start to finish it was about 24 hours

So strange how it's so different hospital to hospital, anyone delivered in Swansea?

I had previous section as my twins were both breech, I'm unsure of what I want this time, both options hold weight and advantages for me. I had natural with my first so I've experienced both.

I've read through some of this thread with interest, hoping for a VBAC with my next child but the whole uncertainty of it scares the hell out of me. Does anyone know if you can specifically request (If I had to have another section by any chance) to have a general anesthetic instead of an epidural? x

I think they try to avoid it due to more maternal bleeding as well as it takes longer to get you back to your baby. I had GA with my cs and would have tried for it again with my 2nd if I needed to because my epidurals (2) and spinal failed to numb me.

Found out Bobby is head down so hopefully a vbac will happen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->