• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Vegetarian Mums and Babies!

I found the Granose stuff more bitty than mushy, it was quite crumbly and weird.

Cool he may well be here for Christmas then! :D

i would like recipes that have no meat substitutes in... the only substiute i really like are quorn sausages

Hi Tezzy!

I have only had the Granose sausage mix. We always got sos-mix but it doesn't seem to exist anymore and H&B only do the Granose now. I found it to be very similar to sos-mix only with less taste. We've tried pouring in tonnes of herbs but it doesn't taste right. Maybe next time we'll just add a load of salt! I miss sos-mix. :( I use to love the bacon sizzle mix they did but that's not been around in years.

Tezzy, other than the souffle recipe somewhere back in this thread I'm not very good with recipes. We tend to have potatoes of some sort with some sort of meat substitute and veg or like pasta or rice with tofu or veg or whatever. I don't like things like pies or stews (pastry makes me ill and I'm not a fan of sloppy food) so my staple is really some sort of carbohydrate with additions.

Normally at christmas my mum makes some kind of filo parcel but now I don't live with her I'm just too lazy! Last year I got some puff pastry squares and put asparagus, tomato, pesto and parmesan on them to have with the roasties which was quite nice so going to do that again this year.

I have a recipe for a parsnip & parmesan gratin and an aubergine and pepper bake thing so going to do those as dinner when the relatives visit.

PB I heard Sosmix was Granose now,or they are one and the same people but with a slightly altered recipe or something...https://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/direct_foods_sosmix.html

Kitten,parsnip and parmesan gratin sounds delish,maybe you want to share the recipe with us ;) xxxxx

^^ That looks like I'm saying a gratin of kittens with parsnip and parmesan sounds delish.
That CLEARLY is not what I'm saying incase you think I eat kittens :sick: x

:rofl: that made me laugh. Gratin of kittens.

We used to have sos-mix when I was little, granose tastes manky in comparison. Shame that you can't get it anymore.

I made some fantastic veggie cornish type pasties last night, I am not the best cook ever but they were fab! :) Didn't make the pastry though, so was cheating a bit. Will make it next time!

If it's a change of recipe it's to take out all taste!

Here you go :D (no kittens!):

Parsnip & Parmesan gratin

Serves 4-6

* 500g parsnips
* 175ml pouring cream, or double cream
* 2 cloves of garlic, crushed, peeled and roughly chopped
* 2 sprigs of thyme, leaves only
* 1 heaped tsp Dijon mustard
* Nutmeg
* 4 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
* Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 200C. Butter a gratin dish.

Peel the parsnips and slice as thinly as possible into rounds. Steam for 5-10 minutes until soft, but still holding their shape (or boil for 4-5 minutes and allow to steam-dry in a colander). Layer roughly in the gratin dish.

Mix together the cream, garlic, thyme, mustard and a good grating of nutmeg. Season generously, particularly with salt. Pour over the parsnips and press down so the liquid oozes through the vegetables. Dot the top with butter and cook in the oven for 35 minutes.

Remove from oven and cap with grated Parmesan. Return to oven for 10 minutes, until golden and bubbly.

They gave him fish pie at nursery today! :growlmad: I'm so angry! I got home and checked out his book and it said fishermans pie and I thought it there anyway that's not fish and then he cried after bumping his head and has fishy breath!!!

Put a rocket up them tomorrow! That's disgraceful! #1 doesn't go to nursery, but this kind of thing would be my nightmare if she did go. I'm really sorry this has happened.
Abi x

They didn't give me the terry wipes back either so I've got to call in for them tomorrow. Not looking forward to complaining about the fish. :(

That's disgraceful. Would they do it to a Muslim or whatever? That's always my argument and the answer is no because they'd be done for racial/religious discrimination!!

Im so sorry to hear that happened, so many people think fish is OK in a veggie diet. When he gets school age its sweeties that are a battle, friends handing the jellie sweets around, drives me completely nuts, thankfully my kids are all aware of why we are veggie and actually seem to agree so they police it themselves, Im lucky in that respect.
I know complaining is not nice, I dont like it but they may do it again if you dont, my eldest was once given a ham sandwich at school, I complained about that, they were very very apologetic and he has never had any more issues, I think you need to hammer the message home sometimes, good luck.

I went in the next day and politely asked about it. They said it was an error in his book, I guess that everyone else had the fish pie and they write all the books in one go so I can see how that might happen. They went to check with the kitchen and said he'd actually had veg casserole. They also said there is a board they write on with dietary requirements that is there to prevent things like this happening. So I guess I have to trust them and assume I smelt fishy breath because I was sensitised already (I have a very strong and occasionally subjective sense of smell!). I can't help harbouring a little fear that they have just lied to me but in fairness it didn't seem that way. At least they will make sure next time.

Hey everyone!!

I've been away from B&B for a couple of months (moving countries) so I've missed this whole exciting group you've put together! :D

As some of you might know, I'm a vegan mum with a vegan 14-month-old Aatos, who is doing super well on his healthy diet. In the past couple of months, he's grown so much in both height and weight and now actually is above average for both when he used to always rank in the lowest percentiles for weight before. I tell you it's all those chickpeas and lentils he keeps stuffing himself with!!

I haven't had chance to read back all the posts yet but will do so in a bit. Just wanted to say hi to everyone first, so glad to have a place to share with all of you. :)

Just gone through all the posts, how brilliant to have all these kids who have the chance to start their lives on a veggie diet. What an amazing present to give them :)

Just some ideas about what Aatos loves to eat that has extra protein and iron:
Pasta --- with anything. This is a great place to put in some lentils or mashed beans, as they go down so easily with the pasta.
Lentils with Indian spices.
Soup with pureed veg and beans/lentils.
Stir fried tofu & veg
Store-bought tofu patties
Veggie sausages
Almond or peanut butter on bread/crackers/rice cakes
Soy yogurt
Dried apricots/prunes

....and lots of other things but gets too much to write it all down. He does love a biscuit if I let him have one....

And I must be the luckiest veggie mamma in the world, as when I recently started working, I found a vegan nanny for Aatos, who not only cooks really nice meals for him but also brings me vegan brownies to take to work with me!!! :D

Hiya Ani! Aatos is gorgeous!

How great that you found a vegan cooking nanny! Wish I had one of those :blush:.

Thanks for the food ideas - I am not so keen on tofu myself, but it would be lovely if Freya liked it, I'm looking forward to giving her stuff like that.

:)

I went in the next day and politely asked about it. They said it was an error in his book, I guess that everyone else had the fish pie and they write all the books in one go so I can see how that might happen. They went to check with the kitchen and said he'd actually had veg casserole. They also said there is a board they write on with dietary requirements that is there to prevent things like this happening. So I guess I have to trust them and assume I smelt fishy breath because I was sensitised already (I have a very strong and occasionally subjective sense of smell!). I can't help harbouring a little fear that they have just lied to me but in fairness it didn't seem that way. At least they will make sure next time.

That's a relief, PeanutBean. I know what you mean about harbouring a little fear, but I think you're right in trusting them. Short of raiding the kitchen every day, or sending in meals for him, what choice do you have?
Abi x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->