Very strange BBT this morning... Thoughts?

joyalan

Reaction score
Good morning!

So, I woke up around 7am, popped the thermometer under my tongue (half asleep at this point) and took a reading. Came up with a 98.4.

Just for grins, I decided to take another reading at 7:30. Keep in mind that I did not get up, use the restroom, talk, or drink anything, and I barely moved. I was a little more awake, and I think I may have put the thermometer under my tongue a little further. I came up with a 98.7....

So I was happy to see the 98.7, but I became concerned about the difference here, and is it just an issue of positioning of the therm?

So, I tried it once more, again before I got out of bed, no talking, etc. I am wide awake at this point, and I really shove that therm under the squishy part of my tongue (not causing pain, just discomfort) - and I came up with a 98.9!!!!

Ok, anyone have any thoughts on this???!

I have never took multiple readings before, so I wonder if all of my BBT's are questionable... I generally take my temp between 7:10am and 7:40am. Any number I get between those times I consider accurate for purposes of the chart.

My final question is, which one would you count?? 98.4, 98.7, or 98.9? My thoughts on this is that the highest temp is the most accurate, because that was truly the temp under my tongue. The lower temps were also temps in my mouth, but not the highest temp taken at the best point to accurately measure my body temp. (Obviously I'd like to keep the 98.9 for my own selfish charting reasons :winkwink: )

One more thing, it is really scary that our temps can fluctuate that much. I always thought that taking my BBT within about a 30 min period (7:10 to 7:40) would be fine, but now I'm starting to wonder...

Thanks for reading!

Hi Joyalan,
I am also wondering the same thing
https://www.medhelp.org/user_trackers/show/104907?personal_page_id=863234

My chart is all over the place. Though I have to admit I am not as rigid in time as you are I have noticed readings taken on the same day, around the same time are different. I am not sure I am taking the readings right. I do know taking the reading from the mouth is the least accurate of the three (caginal or Anal) but I have not done the other two.

It will be interesting to see what the other ladies say. I have not had a post OV rise but my CBFM and CM all indicate that I OV'd back on CD17. I am 4dpo at the moment.

Hope we figure this out as it is the only reliable method telling us we have ov rather than we are about to ov. I had a weird CBFM reading last month and think it may have been an annovulatory cycle hence taking on BBT this month. However, it has made things very confusing:wacko:

I had the same thing this morning, I tested and got a 97.7 then I did it 2 more times and it was 96.9 then 97.0 Finally I decided to take it one more time and I got another 97.0.
I wish it was 97.7. How many DPO r you? Im 19 dpo, cd 29 on a 33 day cycle.

Thanks for the input Minimin and samola.. I am 7 DPO, and as much as I want to hope that this temp spike is my chart going triphasic, I'm just not sure... /sigh.

Samola - where was your thermometer? Did you shift it to different locations under your tongue? How many mins apart were the readings? Honestly, if your first reading was a 97.7, I would say that is the most accurate - since that was the "freshest" read from sleep. Also, it is the highest, and seems like it would be the most accurate to your body temp. It seems like to me, that if you have a higher and lower temp, close in time, take the higher one. The rationale in my head is that the lower temp is more inaccurate because it was caused by faulty placement of the thermometer, or breathing through your mouth, etc... Anyone else feel me on this?

That makes sense joyalan. They were right after each other with no time between. I would just restart the thermometer and put it back in. I thought I put it in the same place everytime but who knows I was half asleep and really not wanting to go to work...

That's actually quite common. :lol: I've done it before and know other ladies that do, too. Believe it or not, just a bit of time between and you thinking about it... starting to wake up (even not moving and stuff) gets your mind going just enough to make your body think it is wake up time. Which then starts things going and raises your temp a bit.

Go with your fist temp. :thumbup: Don't start to question all of them. :)

ID agree with TIgerlady in that a higher temp cant really be faked or wrong. I think it makes a difference as soon as we start to think we need to take BBT- and getting thermometer form the bedside etc. I am sure that is what is making readings all over the place.
Take the first one. I am going to do the same for my next cycle. At least it will be consistent all the way through. It is easy to skew the results with what we want :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->