Viewed The Special Needs Nursery Today

Poloma

Mum to 3 Little Stars
Reaction score
It was a lovely set up, right next to a mainstream school (they use thier playground)
We went in and Noah was encouraged to take part in the activities. Which he did bless him. Though he spent the first 5 mins sat with his hands over his ears! lol (just one of his "things")
I was plesantly suprised at how well he sat, as current nursery struggle to get him to sit for more than 2 mins! but I think the whole atmosphere was different iygwim?
Each class has a teacher, speech therapist and 2 class room assistants. Class sizes are around ten children, so plenty of people to go around.

So as long as the funding is approved Noah will be starting in Jan 09.

Now I hope this bit doesnt upset anyone....
I did get quite teary on the drive home, I think it was seeing him in that environment with children that have been diagnosed with varying degree's of ASD (a few were quite agressive/disruptive) I kind of felt a bit scared for him, as we have had no diagnosis yet. I think its also partly me accepting the fact that he IS special and not like most other children etc Oh I dont know, just a mix of emotions really xXx

:hug: I know what you mean about seeing him with children "diagnosed". Just remember, even if he is diagnosed with ASD, he is still your son. He won't "change" just because he has been diagnosed. I was worried that if Makena was diagnosed with ASD, she would start flapping her hands. She has never flapped her hands. SHe has other hand mannerisms, but, I was worried the diagnosis would create a different her. It doesn't. They only get a the help they need. :hug: I am crossing my fingers that your funding goes through.

The nursery sounds great, we had an interview for one recently. Yes it is sad seeing all the special kids, and that he would be categorised that way, but my main feeling is relief that there will be somewhere he can belong and be welcome, somewhere he can learn and be challenged, and not just ignored because he doesn't do what the other kids do. My DS is development delayed, not ASD. The people interviewing us were so worried we'd be upset because they have to label him as intellectually delayed for the forms, but we didn't care, we just want him to get in! A label doesn't mean anything, it doesn't change who he is.

Hi glad everything went ok xx try not to feel bad we have all been there xx
Im going to see the special needs playgroup next week and will prob feel the same xxx
Dont worry we are all in the same boat xx

Fingers crossed funding goes through for you x

I too cross my fingers! I know getting diagnosis is a hard road. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh