Vitamin B6 - Lengthen luteal phase or increase progesterone

Hi Lisaf,

I usually ovulate around day 18 or 19 on an average of 27 day cycle. I bet we've read allthe same books and websites! I know it's either corpus luteum insufficiency or early failure of the uterine lining that's usually the cause.

I've called 2 of the Glasgow fertility clinics - they say for my problem they only offer IVF or IUI. They don't believe in investigating any further than NHS. I suppose it's all the same consultants, just working for a private fee. I asked them about trying clomid or progesterone, they just donned me off with "that's not how we really do things" type of response. I'm assuming this is the way it is in the uk - less emphasis on diagnosis, more emphasis on the big treatments.

It's all pants really. I'm trying to be patient, because I have to be, but with friends and family churning out babies like a human reproduction factory, it's not easy! ;) love them all to bits though.

X

Hi Tampa, I'm so sorry to hear about your nightmare. I'm sorry but I didn't read your earlier posts - are you/have you taken B6 or vitex or any of the other herbs/suggestions for short luteal phases? My dates are exactly the same as you and I did try all those things - unfortunately they didn't work for me and we have our first appointment at a fertility clinic in a weeks time but I was just curious if any of those things had worked for you.

The more I hear the more I really worry that these days IVF seems to be every fertility doctors suggestion and it makes me really worried - I'm sure they ''dish it out'' too easily, but maybe I'm wrong. I hear so many stories of women told ''they'll never conceive naturally'' so they endure IVF (successfully) only to then conceive naturally after... I really really do not want IVF. I honestly think we would rather adopt than do that - if it came to it..

Anyway good luck and well done with the patience!! :)

Hi Alix

I'm taking 100mg B6, in Holland and Barrett's B100 multivitamin.

That's brilliant to hear you got pregnant with progesterone like mine - gives me a wee bit of hope.

CDC - I've also tried AC but it doesn't agree with my IBS. It def worked though - I had an extra 2 days luteal phase. I think B6 stretches it out a little too - maybe a day.

Lisaf - I really really fancy acupuncture. Stress has always been an issue with me, that's why I have no money. I'm only working 1 day a week because I started college full-time to relieve the stress of my job and huge commute! I'm a lot less stressed about work but now stressed about money ;) ! I adore college though.

Maybe I'll talk to my partner about putting money aside for acupuncture - just for a while to try it....

And thanks for all your supportive words. I see you're pregnant - that's fantastic! What worked for you in the end?

X

The quick version for me is that my progesterone did not get high enough (indicated ovulation but was below the 'normal' minimum they like to see to sustain pregnancy... in the US that level is a 10... equivalent to a 30 in the UK). My GYN wouldn't give me more than 50mg of clomid because it made me ovulate and he said that the low progesterone wouldn't interfere and that higher doses of clomid would give me multiples (I had 2 suspected chemical pregnancies though and always started spotting right when the positive test came and AF would follow). He'd put me on the progesterone after a BFP but not before.
I switched to an FS who put me on 100mg clomid... fully monitored the cycle in case my progesterone was still bad so he'd have an idea why and what to try next. I also had an HSG that cycle which showed both tubes clear (HSG can boost fertility for a few months so that might have helped too) I had 4 follicles (a bit more than they like to see). My 7dpo blood test was finally above normal!!! And I got my BFP.

So I'm totally convinced the low progesterone was not preparing my lining adequately for implantation to be successful or my corpus luteum was failing and couldn't recover by the time implantation happened. I had a 12 day lp but spotted for a few days before - basically it was clear my lining was starting to deteriorate, you know?
Its possible the HSG helped the fertilized egg drop down and start implanting earlier before the corpus luteum failed but it just seems too coincidental that I finally got normal progesterone levels and got pregnant.

Thanks again, Lisaf! I wish our consultants were more open-minded in the UK. Maybe that's the advantage of having a privatised medical system? I'm so glad I joined Baby and Bump, I just feel like I'm not alone anymore.

Big thanks again, and all the best for April.

:* xxx

Thanks! Yeah, I know I was lucky that I could shop for a doctor who could help. My GYN was great for putting me on clomid with minimal testing or monitoring as thats what I wanted at the time (couldn't afford the monitoring) but then when things weren't looking so good I had to switch to get the help I needed.

The BIG disadvantage to privatized medical systems is that you have to pay for soooo much of it. If the clomid didn't work, it would have been VERY hard to afford any other treatments and IVF was not even possible for us financially!

Because of the cost concern for us, they aren't always so quick to jump to IVF.. depends on your age though, if you're close to 40 or over it, they do often push for IVF sooner rather than later.

Hi Alix

I'm taking 100mg B6, in Holland and Barrett's B100 multivitamin.

That's brilliant to hear you got pregnant with progesterone like mine - gives me a wee bit of hope.

CDC - I've also tried AC but it doesn't agree with my IBS. It def worked though - I had an extra 2 days luteal phase. I think B6 stretches it out a little too - maybe a day.

How long have you been taking it for? It can take a while to be effective. I know stress isn't good fertillity. I'm sure you've heard that a million times too. But even a small amount of stress can wreck your system! :(

Hi ladies I hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread! My hubby and I have been ttc no 4 for 14months with no luck, (he's had a vasectomy reversal which apparently worked but last sperm sample wasn't good we're awaiting the results of the more recent test).
Anyway, I'm 39, I've been taking soy for 4 cycles and I've started taking vitamin b-complex 50mg this month. My 7dpo progesterone was low 21 and 24 (should be over 30). I do ovulate regularly every month, get loads of EWCM and a smiley face on my opk. My cycles used to be 30-36 days long and ovulation was anywhere from 17-22 the soy has regulated that to 28/29 day cycles with ovulation on Cd 14/15 which is great.
My question is can vitamin B complex 50mg cause symptoms? i've been taking it for 2 weeks and I have a couple of really bad headaches where I have had to leave work and go and lie down. I've also had nausea and diarrhoea for about a week.
Could it be the vit b and if so do you think it will settle as my body gets used to it? another thing is how often do you have to have a break is it every month ir every few months?
Thanks so much in advance
It's a complicated matter making babies!
Here's hoping we all get our :bfp:soon
:dust:
xxx

I've been on and off the b6 for a year or so -about 6 months, before we gave up and took a break, been back on it a couple of months. It gave roughly an extra day, I think.

Stress is a problem, but I think all the ladies on this forum are no strangers to that!
As my FS won't treat me, just got to wait til July/August for the IUI.

Oh, the joys of LTTC!!! :)

Thanks tho x

Hello… my af was due today but didn’t get it. I have cramps, did a pregnancy test this early morning but got a BFN. Got my result of the progesterone on cd 23 (because I have a 30 day cycle) and my progesterone was vvveerrrrry lowwww… also estrogen… what does this indicate? Helllppppppp

CRC- I havent completely quit taking my B vits so dont know if i'd bleeld...but notice that if I forget into later in the evening sometimes I begin feeling crampy....so am always afraid if I stop taking them I will bleed. Which may be nice if I have a late period and quit them and it comes....but yea, Im thinking the vits arent working for me either. I ordered a diff kind on amazon so will try that and see what happens....I also ordered Vitex, Maca root, FertileCM, and basal body thermometer. I've never temped! I am going overboard with vits ladies! Stop me!!

I cant get my progesterone levels high. This cycle I took femara (fertility pills taken to those on whom clomid doesn’t work) and still got even lower level of progesterone… I am seeing my doctor later on this week to see why this is happening…. Do you know of anyone who had the same problem and managed to conceive? Is there anyone out there who got the same problem and if yes what did you use to put levels up? B6 arent working, evening primrose oil neither.. I was never on the pill and always had regular cycles… ultrasounds all ok and my partner is fertile…. What is my problem????? No hsg yet as doctor told me to wait a year (5more months)

omg... i am taking vit b50 complex and AF this cycle was normal. had actual bleeding! cd1 (Jan20) was at night but the next 3 days were bleeding, yesteray was light and today was just spotting. i think AF should be gone today. AF before the vits was extremely light, could wear a pantyliner the whole day and be fine. I will continue taking them and am also taking vitex (400mg) once a day along with prenatals and baby aspirin. based on when I Od and when I got AF this cycle, my LP is 12 days. hoping I get my Valentines :bfp:!

hugs ladies!!! :hugs:

I've been on and off the b6 for a year or so -about 6 months, before we gave up and took a break, been back on it a couple of months. It gave roughly an extra day, I think.

Stress is a problem, but I think all the ladies on this forum are no strangers to that!
As my FS won't treat me, just got to wait til July/August for the IUI.

Oh, the joys of LTTC!!! :)

Thanks tho x

:( Sorry love. I hope July/August comes around quickly for you.. or better still you get a :BFP: before then!! Don't focus on the figures too much, I know that's hard, but my stats were low too and I have a 6 month old bubba! It can happen!!

I cant get my progesterone levels high. This cycle I took femara (fertility pills taken to those on whom clomid doesn’t work) and still got even lower level of progesterone… I am seeing my doctor later on this week to see why this is happening…. Do you know of anyone who had the same problem and managed to conceive? Is there anyone out there who got the same problem and if yes what did you use to put levels up? B6 arent working, evening primrose oil neither.. I was never on the pill and always had regular cycles… ultrasounds all ok and my partner is fertile…. What is my problem????? No hsg yet as doctor told me to wait a year (5more months)

This can happen. Some people just have low progesterone levels. I had to use prescribed progesterone suppositories during my pregnancy, up until 14 weeks, then the placenta makes it own by that time. But I was instructed to use it after O was confirmed. It lengthened my cycles and I was instructed to stop them once the doc confirmed I was not preggo.

I have just noticed that my luteal phase is so off. In december it was LP10 and in january I thought I O'd on cd18 but it was really around cd21 and started my AF on cd29 so it got worse. Not sure what is going on or if it's because I had a miscarriage in october??? so confused so I saw this post this morning and I went out to get some Bcomplex and am excited to start using it. I bought the B-100 though, hope that wont hurt me.

Can you guys look at my chart and see if you think I may have low progesterone levels? I am getting concerned that after the 3 elevated temps it has all been downhill.

Can you guys look at my chart and see if you think I may have low progesterone levels? I am getting concerned that after the 3 elevated temps it has all been downhill.

Your temp is low and doesn't even really indicate ovulation. Have you had your thyroid checked? I think it would be worth having a blood test or two to check our your thyroid (can be done at any point in your cycle) and have your progesterone checked (should be done 7 days after ovulation).

This is your first cycle temping? Its a little tough to jump to any conclusions, especially since this cycle hasn't finished yet. It could be a weird cycle, maybe you haven't ovulated yet and will ovulate soon, maybe you do have something going on with progesterone or thyroid. Its just hard to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->