Vitamin K Injection

Hi

back on topic; I personally don't have a problem with the injection. I've done my research into it and it seems the main worry about the injection is due to studies done in the early 70s regarding the injection causing an increased risk of a certain rare type of childhood leukemia but it hasn't been backed up since. I am not blindly pro-vaccination/injections; for example I didn't give any of my boys the BCG even though it is recommended for all babies living in the metropolitan area of London and particularly those whose parents/grandparents come from certain countries; but having looked into it the risks outweighed any potential benefits for me. For example I have known babies who developed bone abscesses at the scar site; leading to long term mobility problems in that particular arm. Also I haven't seen any evidence that the change in policy from giving certain teenagers the BCG to widely giving it to babies; has reduced rates of TB infection at all. But with the vitamin K injection I don't see any harm in it; and it prevents a potentially very serious problem that can occur. I don't know anyone personally who has developed cancer in childhood after having the injection either; because these things are extremely rare.

Soph x

We've chosen not to have it. My midwife said she thought almost all babies don't need it anyway and that it was absolutely fine not to have it in any form, she was very supportive. I'm going to ensure that I get a good supply of Vit K myself and then my baby will get it naturally from my milk... Apparently 'the major source of Vitamin K is green, leafy, vegetables - kale, collards, spinach, and turnip greens are the highest.' I'm also going to continue taking Pregnacare while breastfeeding which contains 92% of the recommended daily dose. (Sanatogen mum-to-be contains none at all). I also think that the Pregnacare I'm taking now should mean that my baby has ok Vit K levels at birth.

We've chosen not to have it. My midwife said she thought almost all babies don't need it anyway and that it was absolutely fine not to have it in any form, she was very supportive. I'm going to ensure that I get a good supply of Vit K myself and then my baby will get it naturally from my milk... Apparently 'the major source of Vitamin K is green, leafy, vegetables - kale, collards, spinach, and turnip greens are the highest.' I'm also going to continue taking Pregnacare while breastfeeding which contains 92% of the recommended daily dose. (Sanatogen mum-to-be contains none at all). I also think that the Pregnacare I'm taking now should mean that my baby has ok Vit K levels at birth.

That was really helpful, thanks.

The main source of vitamin K is actually the bacteria that lives in our intestines... It's the synthesizes vitamin K for us.

The main source of vitamin K is actually the bacteria that lives in our intestines... It's the synthesizes vitamin K for us.

Yes, I've read that this could be one of the reasons babies are born next to the anus... they take bacteria to help kick start their own Vitamin K production. My post was indicating the main FOOD sources of Vit K.

im not trying to be mean but it seems to me that you aren't really asking for advice but are just wanting emotional back up (which is fine). Its just you dispute people who disagree with you and thank people for being helpful if they agree.
I think its important to help your child build an immune system but there are some things they will never be immune to no matter what and the diseases are devastating. I too have done the research and have chosen to immunise except my latest son wasn't given his chicken pox shot but i may yet, it's so hard to know what is the right thing to do. Someone earlier said that a midwife told them the vit k isn't necessary but i've heard the opposite said so how do you know? Its one of those things, damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's just a matter of weighing up the risks but one thing to consider...an awful lot of the anti-immunisation information comes from non-reputable sources. The pro-stab (as i call it) comes from doctors and the government. I know the immunisations were linked to autism and that information is jammed down your throat by the anti-stabs but the people who did that research actually retracted it afterwards because they knew it was wrong but not before it was wildly circulated. Scientists have tested and re-tested but can not find a link but yet anti-stabs still say it because it scares mums. All i'm saying is get your info from places you are positive you can trust and weigh up the risks ie. what happens most often the disease or the reaction from the stab and which has the worst affect on bub. Goodluck, loving them soooooo much makes theses decisions a nightmare.

For the record, i'm pro vit k.

No I just thanked the people with informative posts and wrote whatever popped into my head as a question really, I never have been very tactful! A downfall of mine!

Maybe I did want back up, or just to know there where likeminded people. But i've made my decisions now and i'm 100% happy with them, finally!

I wasn't having a go, i do the same thing. I make decisions then it feels good when people agree so i can relax. Well done on making your decision. As i said, it's so hard to know what to do with even the experts disagreeing. We all just want to do the best for our babies and there is no instruction manual. I think the more you worry the more it shows you are a good mum xoxox Goodluck with your next beautiful (obviously very loved) baby :)

I wasn't having a go, i do the same thing. I make decisions then it feels good when people agree so i can relax. Well done on making your decision. As i said, it's so hard to know what to do with even the experts disagreeing. We all just want to do the best for our babies and there is no instruction manual. I think the more you worry the more it shows you are a good mum xoxox Goodluck with your next beautiful (obviously very loved) baby :)

Yeah I realise you weren't having a go. It was just difficult because the babys father and I had made the decision together and then all of a sudden I realised it was down to me. 100% sole responsibilty and it freaked me out!

Thank you and good luck also! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->