Voting to stay or leave EU. Confused!

I read an article from Sir David Attenborough. Genuinely concerned for our environment. I wonder if anyone thought about this because all i hear is 'british jobs for british people'. Its making me sick. What is wrong with the best person for the job whether they are Polish, Scottish, English or Romanian!

And anyway.....whats wrong with our laws as they are.

I kept telling people about this :( animal rights amd environment. Appauling.

Now, this is going to cost us more money, as if it will be made glamourous to leave!

Honestly. Mind boggling.

So disappointed.

I signed the petition as its clear a lot of the Leave voters really regret their vote, and voted without understanding the issues so a second referendum might actually be based on facts rather than campaign lies.

The immigration voters will when france does not give us a choice on Calais. How can people not see this would happen :(

Because they didn't bother to do an ounce of research or listen to anyone tell them the truth, they just wanted to believe nice sounding soundbites.

I'm glad I'm out of the UK but have the utmost sympathy for you all. And am afraid of the consequences this will spread throughout Europe - dread a Finnish referendum though I hope our government isn't so fucking stupid.

I agree with you hayz on a second referendum. Its a shame people regret their vote but maybe they will think on more in future

Saw this on FB and thought it was an interesting angle:-

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

I agree with you hayz on a second referendum. Its a shame people regret their vote but maybe they will think on more in future

I can't understand why some people didn't take this referendum seriously?

My oh told me he might not vote as he wasn't sure, I told him he needed to do some research and make up his mind as it was too dam important for him not to vote just because.. He voted

Saw this on FB and thought it was an interesting angle:-

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

That was a very interesting PoV, thanks for posting. Really made me see it from another side and makes a lot of sense.

Reading this back in my head it sounded sarcastic.. It isn't!!! :flower:

Really interesting Lindsey. Makes sense too.

It sure does make sense. Interesting times ahead. I still feel saddened by the result though.

Looks like the Government dont have a clue whats going on. Who voted for this x

I have just seen something saying that it is likely that Boris will take on the challenge of PM. Negotiate with the EU and call a second referendum based on the new negotiations. If he was to win he would delight in the fact he fought both sides of it and won.

I have just seen something saying that it is likely that Boris will take on the challenge of PM. Negotiate with the EU and call a second referendum based on the new negotiations. If he was to win he would delight in the fact he fought both sides of it and won.

...The country will rejoice and we will forever know him as King boris the great.

I do believe they will try an renegotiate and take it to a second referendum.

Would a general election be called for if new terms are negotiated?

From what I've read it's likely that once a new Tory leader is chosen (not elected.. But let's not go there!) then they may call a general election to help decide who should lead the country through this. But they don't HAVE to call for a GE so they may not...

I think they may whilst the Labour Party is almost in turmoil. It's nothing to do with who should steer us through and everything to do with them thinking they'll win at this point and thus they'll remain in power until 2021

King Boris the great did make me laugh though

Ah Boris Johnson a man who managed to pull of a great victory and lose at the same time. He wants never wanted leave to win in my opinion he wanted a close run thing so he could become Prime Minister. Now Daivd Cameron has gone I am not doing the Article 50 I am going and leaves a real mess behind.

That is my issue with leave, its not the leaving per se just the fact that no one I think knows how leaving will work.

The remain campaign was just too negative too lets keep the status quo rather than challenging the leave campaign that is why they lost. Too many politicians worried about their own personal gain rather than the good of the country

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->