Voting to stay or leave EU. Confused!

Shocked and appalled and actually quite emotional today. I couldn't sleep last night as saw at 2am the pound drop when leave was in the lead. It's madness.

Mr Cameron had to resign, I never thought i'd see the day I wish he wouldn't though. I think he's the lesser of 3/4 evils. God help us if Gove or Borris become PM.

I feel quite somber, my area voted to leave. Quite a few in the office are happy with the results.
I don't think they realise the impact of what is going to happen in the immediate future. Jobs, the economy.
Yes a contingency is in plan, but the likelyhood is lowering of interest rate and delaying growth which will lead is back into recession.
Oh yes we may be much better off years down the line but that doesn't help someone who has lost their job and needs to put food on the table tonight.
Im nervous, I'm waiting for the dust to settle before overly panicking though. Did anyone see Nigel farage on GMB? Ridiculous!! What a fucking goon, I would Have voted David Cameron over him any day of the week!!

Wasn't convinced he would step down but he has and it was right.

I keep thinking that I'm not convinced we will leave (not until the fat lady sings) there's a chance that we can still renegotiate and go back to another referendum. Although looking less likely.

Need to wait for next week, for article50 and go from there... Not much more we can do..

We will definetly leave now. The article fifty won't start until new prime minister is in place so we are looking at least October. Then two years from there we will leave.

I have seen some interviews, particularly in Wales and in Barnsley where it was pointed out that they receive money from the EU the response was that we want our Country back.

I have also seen (and know off) leave voters who did not really think it through. I dont think the enormity of what it means has really sunk in

I have seen some interviews, particularly in Wales and in Barnsley where it was pointed out that they receive money from the EU the response was that we want our Country back.

I have also seen (and know off) leave voters who did not really think it through. I dont think the enormity of what it means has really sunk in

I've seen signs saying 'we want our country back', what does it mean?! Surely the devil is in the detail when it comes to politics. I didn't vote in the European MPs sure but I didn't vote the conservatives and I'm living under them too!

Someone wrote they are buying a house in January.
Me and oh are currently awaiting a written mortgage offer to conclude missives here in Scotland.
We are now both worried what this will now mean for that?
What it will now mean should we have a child? Oh is 30, he wants at least one child soon we were looking to have a baby once we were in the house and more settled around Christmas time but what now? Yes future may be more beneficial but right now is what we need to focus on for ourselves and now we are querying if we will actually get the mortgage if we should have at least one child now so we have one and if financial constraints mean we need to wait a good few years until we have another (we are lucky as I am 24 in a few months so we have some time)

I hate the we want our country back comments. Makes me feel sick that people are that ignorant.

I dont even understand what it means?

I think it means they get to make their own laws. Immigration aside most of the laws the Eu made were helping workers and consumers. Plus you never get to make your own laws anyway.

A truly awful day.
Some of those I work with voted leave, and things at the office are getting very unpleasant.
I'm beyond upset.

I read an article from Sir David Attenborough. Genuinely concerned for our environment. I wonder if anyone thought about this because all i hear is 'british jobs for british people'. Its making me sick. What is wrong with the best person for the job whether they are Polish, Scottish, English or Romanian!

And anyway.....whats wrong with our laws as they are.

A very very sad day. I still can't believe this has happened.
It is also very worrying, lots of people have voted without realising the immediate and long consequences this will have.
The pound has plummeted, Nissan and many other industries might leave the UK, etc etc. British job for british people? There will not be jobs, full stop.

I'm also very upset about the result, I just can't see this being a positive move. I work in adult education and so much of it is funded by the European social fund, most funded education for adults in work does come from the EU, our govt only fund people who are out of work as a rule. Feels like details like this were missed by leave voters, it worries me that the full picture of what we will lose and what we will gain isn't known.

The result saddens me also. Comments and shares in Facebook further confirm that hardly anyone knew what the hell they wanted but the usual I want my country back pops up.

What a lot of people forget is we have been in the EU (ECC) for 43 years, that for a lot of people is surplus their entire life so the EU membership is all they know. Also EU law only makes up 13% of UK law and like someone else said it's workers rights, safety, climate change and business related matters (open market). WE as people will never be able to make our own laws, it's funny to even think we'll be dictated to any less under UK government.

I'm sick of hearing people blaming immigrants on problems too. immigrants contribute massively to the NHS which without them there would be a major staffing crisis and given the nature of this whole forum is definitely doing us a favour. Immigrants also fill the jobs that British people deem beneath them so they are also helping businesses there too. People also fail to see that immigration from outside the EU is higher than movement through the EU and that is a problem with our own politics, not the EU.

Although I don't like David Cameron for all his failings I'm sad that he has lost his job over this, I wouldn't want to lead the battle that I had just lost either. I feel safer as part of the EU and don't trust a single politician that could represent us.

Actually once I have read I feel more positive about it. I think the problem is that leave was split in two the Vote Leave and Leave EU, one Johnson and Gove the other Farage.

I can be on board with the fact that the European Economic Market went too far and that the idea of a Single Market with free movement of goods and people went into being a bureaucratic nightmare where perhaps too many laws were at a European Union rather than National level. Rejoining the single market and getting more control sounds ok to me - I would like to see the Conservatives appoint Theresa May rather than Boris Johnson.

Now the downsides - immigration is not going to change, at no point have Gove or Johnson (or indeed the COnservative party as a whole) said anything to indicate the Norwegian model of single market without EU membership would not be followed. This means the free movement of people continues, the EU immigration continues. So all those people who voted because of that point are going to find that NOTHING will change.

Those who felt that the EU were taking too much power and becoming a little bit too unwieldly and undemocratic will be happy - but how many Brexit voters voted for that and not due to immigration. This Brexit viewpoint I am fine with and indeed will not effect me who lives in London.

Now the other downside - the areas that will lose EU funds - this is the bit I struggle to comprehend, that areas that take a lot of money from the EU (cornwall,Wales etc) voted out. Yes we will no longer be paying out and the Government will have control over the money but who knows where that will go. If it goes to the NHS as promised, great for me living in Surrey rubbish for those areas that voted out.

It seems to me that the one area in England that strongly voted to remain (London) may be the one area that benefits, Westminister gets more power, the single market is quickly sorted so that the financial and economic sector is sorted, London probably gains a few more powers at the Mayorial level and life goes on.

The areas that voted for Brexit still get immigration coming through (EU sorted by the Single Market agreement all other never covered by it in the first place) and they lose the EU funding that they got.

Its things like the lack of European Social fund as well - things that if you believe the make up of remainers and brexits those who voted to remain probably dont need anyway.

Its madness that this will hit the hardest the people who thought that they wanted it. People like me who wanted to remain in the London suburbs who work in London will ultimately stay the same or benefit.

Im angry at the rightwing press and Nigel Farage who deliberately sold people a vision of something so untrue.

Great post Quartz! I cant add anything at all.

Isn't it a shame that since the uk have voted to leave that the EU sees it fit to address the issues of immigration etc. It's as though the uk has had to fall on the sword to enable discussion to be held that will help the remaining countries. I do believe most of the leave voters had this as the reason for their choice and perhaps they'd have thought differently if the EU had responded earlier to concerns.

Where does everyone stand on the petition for a second referendum.

I voted remain but don't really feel a second referendum is right. It is what it is, we need to take this decision and do the best we can. If new terms were negotiated then a second referendum would be the right thing but right now no.
It's a very costly matter to do again and it would either be we leave (again) which would be a waste of money or we remain.. Then what's to stop leave from requesting the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->