Want Natural Birth, Need Support Pleeeease!

LockandKey

Reaction score
I am currently pregnant with my first, and I really really want an all natural birth, but I am now overdue at 40 weeks and 1 day :(

I understand I still have plenty of time to let things happen, and it seems like my body is doing what it should to get prepared, I.E. irregular cramping, effacing and 2cm dilated, but I'm seriously starting to worry that induction might be inevitable :cry:

I'm aware of all the natural ways to help jump start labor, and I've tried nipple stimulation, intercourse, walking, and even eating pineapple multiple times since I hit full term, none of which has worked yet, but I still plan on trying then regardless.

I am just so fearful all of a sudden, can anyone share some advice or shed some positive light please? I could really use it right about now

Hun you arent over due yet!

Remember a pregnancy is still normal at 42 weeks, its only after then that you are really over due, your EDD is an estimate not an expiry date so don't fret about it.

You can refuse an induction until you are ready, try not to feel pressured by family/friends (haven't you had that baby yet??!!) or medical professional (its dangerous to go over 42 weeks!!)

IF and IF you go over 42 weeks you can be monitored to check baby is ok, but it is highly likely you will pop soon, it sounds like everything is moving in the right direction!

Hold tight and baby will make their entrance when they are ready!

Fear is normal, but try to relax your body wont labour until baby is ready and you are ready. All will be well - believe in yourself to be able to be strong enough to wait.

If all else fails request a stretch and sweep!

thank you, I did have both a stretch and sweep, and that hasn't worked so I was considering asking for another soon

They'll only work if things are ready, and they can take around 48 hours to kick in. Best thing to do is rest, eat and drink well and enjoy the final few days of having baby all to yourself!

You are far from overdue honey! My advice to you is relax. All the adrenalin running round your body because you are anxious about induction is probably EXACTLY what it stopping your labour from starting! Your hormones are telling your body it's not 'safe' to give birth just yet because adrenalin is the fear and stress hormone. It will cancel out the labour hormone oxytocin just as it would in an animal who was worried about being attacked while giving birth. It's instinctive. Once you relax and let the happy chilled hormones flow your primitive brain will say 'ah! Now it's safe to give birth because she doesn't feel threatened.'.

The minute you surrender and stop trying you will labour. I mean TRULY surrender. Induction is NOT inevitable but having your baby is! No one was ever pregnant forever so trust that your baby knows when to be born.

X

My friend just had a baby in France and over there they consider that pregnancy is 41 weeks! It just goes to show that the EDD really is just an estimate and you have plenty of time before you need to consider induction, in all likelihood the baby will make its appearance of its own accord before that becomes necessary :flower:

The OP is in the USA...and even though a pregnancy isnt considered postdated until 42 weeks, docs are rediculous with inductions here and start pushing an induction the day your "overdue"...maybe even the few days before :wacko:

I just want you to know that i went 41 weeks and 5 days overdue with my son. They wanted to induce and they were not happy with my declining, but i did opt for fetal monitoring and non stress test. Like you, i did EVERYTHING under the sun to induce labor naturally and it never happened :nope: not even the sweep!

You have rights! you are allowed to refuse an induction. Do NOT do it if you dont want to! Docs will often throw scare tactics your way, but dont give in. My stance was, if there is a medical reason (and being "overdue" is NOT a medical reason no matter how much they scare you), but anyways, if they could prove somethign was wrong with my baby (that my placenta was detoriating, that i had low fluid levels) then i would agree to be induced, but every time i had scans and fetal monitoring, everything was perfect! I had no problems and my baby was fine and dandy! i am so glad i waited!!!

Docs are just way too pushy and impatient. No one stays pregnant forever!

Also, just so you know, the average first time mother goes one week and one day over her EDD!

Thanks everyone, I feel better :D

I will remain hopeful that everything will go my way

You are far from overdue honey! My advice to you is relax. All the adrenalin running round your body because you are anxious about induction is probably EXACTLY what it stopping your labour from starting! Your hormones are telling your body it's not 'safe' to give birth just yet because adrenalin is the fear and stress hormone. It will cancel out the labour hormone oxytocin just as it would in an animal who was worried about being attacked while giving birth. It's instinctive. Once you relax and let the happy chilled hormones flow your primitive brain will say 'ah! Now it's safe to give birth because she doesn't feel threatened.'.

The minute you surrender and stop trying you will labour. I mean TRULY surrender. Induction is NOT inevitable but having your baby is! No one was ever pregnant forever so trust that your baby knows when to be born.

X

I totally agree - I was going to say the same thing. Don't be pressured, maybe try some kind of relaxation technique, maybe get a massage or accupuncture? Stay strong and don't let the buggers get you down!

I totally understand lockandkey :hugs: i really do. USA docs are make this a VERY stressfull time...as do so many other people asking about "why havn't you had that baby yet" because they expect ya to get induced because to american women "its normal" for as sad as that is, its true...it is very hard to relax in those circumstance.

labor dust to you hun :dust: xxx

Yea, I know, but my doctor had been bringing up induction at week 39, that doesn't help at all. Like Guppy said, here in the USA they doctors are way pushy and more ready to get the baby out than the mothers, and when you hear things like that from a professional, it becomes a bit overwhelming.

I've been trying my best to relax, which I guess helped to get me to 2cms

haha, oh yea, the comments don't help either, I've been getting those since week 37. I'm about to go into hiding until I have her

Yeah thats how i was too! I have decided that my next pregnancy, i will not be telling anyone besides dh, medical providers, BnB friends, and my mom (she lives far away) what my EDD is. Anyone else, I will tell them the baby will be here by X month. That way i dont get bothered. I cried a lot because of the induction talk. Its never ending :(

If you ever need to talk about your rights and all as a patient, let me know! i am a wealth of resource being that i was in the situation of refusing an induction and that i am a doula as well as a natural child birth educator :D you can do it hun :hugs:

Good idea Guppy not telling anyone. It's mostly my DH's family hounding me, I am seriously wishing I had done that now, oh well live and learn. If I have a second one I will keep that in mind. I took a couple lamaze classes so I feel prepared, just waiting for it to start is all.

Thank you for all the advice ladies :) I think as long as there is nothing wrong with my LO I will be refusing an induction for as long as possible and just tell everyone "she will get here when she gets here."

Thanks again for the support, it really makes me feel 100 times better :happydance:

So glad to help!Always here for ya hun!

Let us see pictures of that sweet baby when she does arrive :cloud9: i can't wait to hear all about it and i am sure everything will go smoothly :friends:

Don't worry about being overdue. Your baby will come out when it's ready! Yes, you can decline an induction. I don't know why the U.S. pushes inductions so much, that really will be a hindrance to a natural labor. I've been asked several times by different people if I was 'going to be induced'. I'm only 38 weeks now. Wtf? I'm like I'm not even made it to my due date and people are rushing me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->