Was told at 7 weeks of lost a twin but I can find two heartbeats

Jkelmum

Reaction score
Not sure I want to wait until 21st for this scan ... I keep finding two very different heartbeats ... 175 and one at 142 ... Neither are mine ?? Mine sits at 79 Haven't had a scan since 7 weeks which they said one baby had a healthy heartbeat but the other was a empty sac with no fetal pole ... I have a clear bump even though I've lost a stone ...anybody ever been told only one heartbeat but gone to next scan and found two ?

I'm in a similar situation hun except I haven't been tracking the heartbeats. they found 2 sacs and 1 with a heartbeat at my last scan. I will see next week if anything has changed.

I lost a twin early, but my sac was very small compared to the healthy sac. It decreased in size over time. It is possible that maybe it was just delayed or the angle wasn't allowing the tech to get a good shot so it looked empty. My only advice would be to call the gyn and tell them what's going on. At the end of the day, if both twin is are hanging in there it isn't going to change any of how you should be taking care of yourself between now and your next scan but if it were me I would want to know hahah. It could just be angling of the Doppler as well. So in my opinion it is an honest toss up. Excited to hear how it turns out and hoping you get the outcome you want.

I've not got any experience of your situation, but just wanted to say I use a Doppler and pick baby's heartbeat up around 175, I know I'm only expecting one but I can always pick up something else around 140. When I was looking for tips on how to use the Doppler I read a lot about an artery or something that usually shows up around 140, so it may be that you're picking up? It doesn't sound like a baby heartbeat the sound I can hear which shows at 140, not sure if yours does?

I wouldn't get too anxious/excited just yet. Handheld dopplers aren't very accurate for determining heart rate - the readout on the display is really a novelty more than anything. Even an experienced physician with professional-grade equipment would have a difficult time confirming the presence of more than one fetal heartbeat so early on in gestation without an ultrasound. I should also mention that the characteristics of fetal heart tones heard via doppler also depend on where you place the probe. It's possible that you are hearing baby's heart beat and then also the pulse through the placenta

I agree that whether it is one or two babies in there it won't change much about your care between bow and your scan BUT I would also be anxious to know. Perhaps book a private scan if you can't wait till your nhs scan

Blimey Hun!! Must be driving u insane! Maybe call mw and get her to have a listen then see if she can bring ur scan forward? Xx

I used to sometimes pick up ds hb in two places
But numbers used to be the same.
I read that u can pick up hb echo off uterus wall.
Not sure how true but sounded reasonable enough :)
Id def get onto my Dr and ask to be scanned.
Hope ur well hon and not driven completely demented by it.
I know it would upset me
Hugs xx
Hope u get seen soon x

I think in your case I would contact the midwife and try and get a scan asap just because I believe you told us in other thread that the Dr's where not sure how well your body could handle twins? Let us know hope you are ok xx

My midwife is on annual leave and the community midwife says that the home dopplers are not relaible and nothing much will change between now and 21st so to wait for that scan unless I have any bleeding

How can they do that to you?!! I don't understand how they think its ok to leave a poor woman to suffer not knowing for so long like that, could you possibly get a private scan?

How can they do that to you?!! I don't understand how they think its ok to leave a poor woman to suffer not knowing for so long like that, could you possibly get a private scan?

Yes but to pay £99 for the sake of two weeks .. I don't know if I can justify that specially as the children are on school holidays so wanting to use money on days out ect ... I'd feel guilty ... But yeah the mw was quite dismissive grr

Hugs .
U would swear sometimes it was the mw paying for it
U pay for it in taxes!!
Ur family Dr might be able to get u seen if they rang? Xx

Yes but to pay £99 for the sake of two weeks .. I don't know if I can justify that specially as the children are on school holidays so wanting to use money on days out ect ... I'd feel guilty ... But yeah the mw was quite dismissive grr
I know what you mean, are the normal scans really £99 :nope:Bloody cheek.... I thought they were £40 for your bog standard type.

Its not an emergency :shrug: why would they provide an extra scan? Yes its an anxious wait for the next two weeks but it really is just a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things and won't change anything in the mean time.

Um it could cause trouble if left with one unresolved.
Not to worry op, but I would hve though they would need to keep an eye to ensure that if a twin is lost then her body is reacting in the right way.
I know when I've had struggling preg in the past they bring me back for scan every week.
To be sure I don't get infection.
But I'm not sure what they do with twins.
Id get onto my family Dr and see if they could get me seen sooner,
Xx
Hugs
Hope alls well with op xxx

2 weeks seems like forever in this case. I hope it goes by quickly for you.

I hope the next 2 weeks fly by Hun!! Xx

Um it could cause trouble if left with one unresolved.
Not to worry op, but I would hve though they would need to keep an eye to ensure that if a twin is lost then her body is reacting in the right way.
I know when I've had struggling preg in the past they bring me back for scan every week.
To be sure I don't get infection.
But I'm not sure what they do with twins.
Id get onto my family Dr and see if they could get me seen sooner,
Xx
Hugs
Hope alls well with op xxx

Unfortunately a failing twin (or not failing as the case may be) isn't classed as an emergency, ive been there. If its before twelve weeks you are left to your own devices. You will only be offered a scan if there is pain, bleeding or any reason for major concern. And in the OP's case they aren't even sure if it is twins at the moment. A Doppler reading won't be a valid reason. If OP was having any major health concerns obviously they wouldn't make her wait. It really won't make a difference in her care this early on even if the scan was performed earlier. It would drive me crazy though so I hope the next two weeks pass quickly for you! I can totally understand not wanting to shell out for a private scan when you have children at home.

Glad its not unsafe so.
Thanks Maryanne xx

Hope ur ok op
Hurry up two weeks .
Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members