• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Washing baby clothes

Kate7590

Reaction score
Iv been told to wash all baby clothes and bedding before baby arrives, so will be getting on it in the next couple weeks.
My question is- do I just wash as I would my clothes? Or do I need to add anything?
I usually use a liquid tab in the drum and some conditioner in the drawer.

Just wash like you would your own clothes, check any labels for special washing instructions

I will buy fairy washing powder (we get a great deal on the massive boxes) and maybe comfort fabric softener. (which smells lovely too!) I got some sample products in my bounty packs and its supposed to be very good for baby clothes as they have sensitive skin

I didn't wash our new stuff before because I just didn't want to take the tags off in the rare case that she wasn't truly a girl and I needed to return the clothes. It was a good thing, too because I ended up returning all her newborn clothes people had purchased for us. She was 9 lbs 4 oz at birth and fit into 0-3 month clothes.

The only thing that I did differently was switch our household detergent over to something with no dyes or scents because they can irritate baby's skin. You never know if you'll get a kiddo with sensitive skin or not and I'd rather wait to find out that they have sensitive skin when they're older than when they're newborn.

I would keep the tags on newborn sizes but wash everything before the baby wears them.

When I was pregnant I switched how I washed clothes in preparation for baby and cloth diapering after reading up on chemicals and toxins.

I wash mine using detergent without dyes or perfumes and then dry them without any dryer sheets or anything else. Like pp said baby could be allergic. Plus the dyes and perfumes aren't that good for anyone anyways.

At first I missed the "clean" smell, but after a few weeks I noticed when I smelled it on other peoples clothes it made me gag because it was so strong and chemically smelling! Now my clothes smell like nothing. I also noticed that the occasional itchiness I would get on my skin disappeared, so I guess I was a bit allergic the whole time, lol.

Agree with the above on keeping tags on, I took all mine off to wash before hand, and ended up using only half the clothing!

I washed all my baby's clothes blankets sheets etc before he was born and just changed from my regular cheapie stuff to fairy non bio which says its recommended for baby's skin, we didn't have any problems with it

Only wash a few clothes and blankets. Just incase you have the opposite gender. I was so itching to start washing clothes and luckily I didn't. Doctors are now confused about gender so returning everything and get gender neutral. I only got a few newborns. mostly onsies. I would switch to a baby sensitive brand. I am still washing my clothes normally but washing babies clothes separate with a different detergent

I washed everything of mine before dd wore them, however midwife then told me I needn't bother. I think this time round I will still pre wash all newborn things & bedding then chance it from 0-3 months perhaps x

When clothes are made, they may have chemicals from the manufacturing process on them, then they are transported, stored etc so I think it's sensible to wash first. Just wash 2/3 sleep suits , vests etc at first and then do the rest once you know what size etc. x

I would still wash. People do not always wash there hands and are touching the clothes to look through them. Boxes are store in wear houses where animals may be running around and could have left feces or urine on the boxes and when they are open, the debris flies in the air and into the box tossing it around while pulling stuff out. When I was in college a research was done and people swab random pieces of clothing that was on shelves or hung up on racks and the study showed that clothes should be wash as human and animal fecal matter was found on the clothing and many viruses were grown in cultures all from clothes that we brand new and were being sold in stores.

Thanks everyone for replies. I decided to wash everything, as i hadn't kept recipes from most things anyway so wouldn't be able to return them.
Everythings airing in my airing cupboard now ready to be packed away in his hospital bag :)

I'd just wash a few bits to last baby the first few days then wash the rest once baby's here and you're sure they are going to be worn.

My daughter is allergic to everything except fairy non-bio and comfort pure fabric softener so I'd recommend you start with those x

I'd just wash a few bits to last baby the first few days then wash the rest once baby's here and you're sure they are going to be worn.

My daughter is allergic to everything except fairy non-bio and comfort pure fabric softener so I'd recommend you start with those x

Those are exactly the ones iv used :D

Those are exactly the ones iv used :D

Lol oh yeah, I've just seen your post saying you've already washed them, silly me!

I bet they will smell lovely when they've been in the airing cupboard! I love the smell of fairy :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->