Watch age??????

clb1982

Reaction score
What age was your little one ready to be weaned?

Im worried because I think my little girl is showing signs that she is ready but its too early yet.

Just need to know when you started

5 months, 5 and a half months properly

3 months = growth spurt. Could it be that?

Well I have some litterature from a baby formula manufacturer who also make baby foods who say you can shart weaning from 17 weeks.

She is 13 weeks but was 2 weeks late and very advanced for her age.

She has dropped a feed at night as she used to have an 11pm feed and go through till 7am but about 2 weeks ago she went to sleep about 8.30 - 9pmish and would not wake till 7-8am the next day, meaning she only has 4x6oz feeds as apposed to the recommended 5 feeds.

I have tried giving an extra oz or two but it often gets wasted as she does not want it.

She seems to be chewing her fists alot, getting impatient for her next feed waking from her naps still tired and unhappy and this week for some reason she has been waking at 5 am instead of 7-8am.

But is that because she is teething or due to her having one less feed.

Oh im so confused :hissy:

Maybe you could bring her feeds closer together. I was told 20 weeks for food although I'm sure 17 isn't far enough off for it to be a problem. I know alot of girls on here started baby rice at 3 months, but I honestly don't think she's having enough milk to move onto food.

(All in my opinion, of course everyones opinions differ.)

Well she was 2 weeks late and weighed 8lb when she was born, so not sure if that makes a difference. But she was holding up her head and sleeping through the night from an early age.

baby rice was all i was thinking of giving when i do start though

It's not really to do with any of that it's to do with kidney developement etc, and what they can handle

Oh i see.

Well Im gonna get some more advice before i even think about it and i have posted a new thread to see how other girls who started baby rice at 3 months found it.

Thanks for your help :)

As I said in the other thread Colton started at 9/10 weeks (so alittle over 2mo). But like toria said, it's about if they are really ready and can handle it.
Colton was fine, but if she starts getting really fussy, or her bowel movements change drastically; it's best to stop and wait until later.

I know a girl who started giving her baby rice at 2 WEEKS because she said formula "wasn't cutting it for him" (he was only eating 3oz of formula at the time). He ended up screaming all the time after she started. So after about 2 weeks she stopped. I didn't say anything to her, but the poor boy couldn't even hold his head up! :( I think she just wanted him to sleep through the night (he was still waking up every 2-3 hours). So, you just have to watch for signs that it might not be settling right with her, and if you notice anything different then I would stop immediately.

my opinions have changed a lot lately but I think if you try it and it's not right you'll know. Alasdair grabs the spoon and pulls it towards him. He gets excited when he sees the food. I was watching a Mum feed her baby (who's just turned 6 months) and he was arching his back trying to get away from the spoon and ended up screaming. I didn't want our experience to be like that and it's not. If it's right, your baby will take to it. Do be careful with what you give them though. Things say suitable for 4-6 months but aren't. Plum do a baby porridge made with quinoa which is great because it's gluten free and Ally loves it as a change from baby rice. We've just started giving him pureed veg as well which he loves :)

Well she was 2 weeks late and weighed 8lb when she was born, so not sure if that makes a difference. But she was holding up her head and sleeping through the night from an early age.

baby rice was all i was thinking of giving when i do start though

Sam was 8lb 13oz at birth and 11 days late - and I started weaning him at 5 months (and only small amounts until he was nearly 6 months). Even when you do start weaning milk is still the most important thing nutritionally, and if she's having less milk now it might be worth bringing her feeds a bit closer together during the day (especially if she's getting impatient waiting for her next feeds) to make sure that she's getting a bit more milk. Once you start on food, milk intake generally decreases. The chewing could be down to teething. I agree with bethanylee that if you do try it you'll know whether or not she's ready for it - but I'd still suggest trying to get her to take more milk rather than food first if she's dropped a feed x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->