water births?

kazer395

Reaction score
how would i go about it?
do i ask on the day or do i have to phone in advance to tell them i wnt one?

Have you sorted your birthing plan with your midwife? You can request one then and the midwives will see it in your notes when you go in and do their best to arrange it for you.

Alternatively, you can ask them when you go if they have any birthing pools available.

I wanted one but apparently the weight limit is 15 stone and although I was 11 stone something when I got pregnant, I have gained about four stone so can't have one. :(

Discuss it with your MW when you have your birth plan appt. They then book you into either delivery suite or midwife-led unit depending on which you choose and whether you're low risk. It'll all be in your notes. If you mention it when you phone the ward/unit when in labour they will let you know when you arrive if the pool is available.

My friend was booked in for a water birth but didn't get chance as she progressed very quickly and apparently the pools take about half hour just to fill.

As the others say it is something you discuss at your birth plan appointment at 36 weeks although you can obviously always change your mind on the day to not go in, or to give it a go, they don't reserve the pools so it's usually just a case of luck as to whether it's available. I had casually mentioned it as a form of pain relief but wouldn't have pushed it on the day, but thankfully a lovely MW (who hadn't even seen my plan yet) asked if I wanted to get in, best thing I did. Doing it at home this time hopefully to get a close as I can to a "guaranteed" (in terms of availability at least!)

I asked the midwife this yesterday. Depending on how my 36+3 growth scan goes on Friday, I need to see what the consultant says on the 9th and if they say I'm all well and fine and baby is all well and fine; they will sign the forms and apparently that's it. I was told though that if my BMI was under 18 at the booking appointment, I wouldn't be able to have a water birth. Luckily, it was 18.

im also going to have to hope that my LO turns from breach position fist lol :) thnkyou for your replies

Fingers crossed get bouncing on a bouncy ball lol :)

Fingers crossed get bouncing on a bouncy ball lol :)

i dont have one :( been scrubbing the floors and my mum suggeste hanging upside down from the edge of my be lol but im not tall enough to reach the floor :p

Lol, I think walking up and down stairs is supposed to help?

i havent hear that one, i knew it helped speed labour along, does that work with the same sort of princable?

i havent hear that one, i knew it helped speed labour along, does that work with the same sort of princable?

Well I might be putting the two together lol, but it makes sense to me that being mobile would help gravity to try and get baby head down as baby's head is obviously the heavy thing, I think I remember walking lots is supposed to help, I think generally being active is meant to be good all around. I remember my MW saying slouching in the sofa was bad for trying to get baby down the right way which I think is why the ball can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->