Waterbirth Information, FAQ's and MORE.....

KandyKinz

Longtime Mama
Reaction score
Been seeing alot of waterbirth threads lately and since I am planning on having my first waterbirth and have been spending ALOT of time reading up on it I thought I'd compile what I've got so far into one thread. I'd love for others to contribute your words of wisdom as well and let me know if there's any errors or anything I should add.

Benefits

* Pain management
-Increased buoyonacy (less pressure on muscles and joints)
-Weightlessness (easier to get comfortable)
-Vasodilation (decreased oxygen flow to muscles causes increased pain, vasodilation increases blood flow throughout the body)
-Hydrostatic pressure (reduces edema,swelling and the discomfort caused by those)

* Decreased incidence and severity of tearing

* Decreased incidence of neonatal infection, specifically GBS (due to dilution/washout effect)

* Decreased need for interventions (augmentation to speed up labour, episiotomies, pharmaceutical pain relief)

Risks

*Dehydration
-Can be avoided by ensuring adequate fluid intake
-It is VERY important to keep hydrated regardless of where you are labouring, but it ESPECIALLY important to drink lots while labouring in water.

*Water aspiration
-Hypoxia (oxygen deprivation) during labour can stimulate the baby's “gasping reflex” which can cause water aspiration at the time of birth. If oxygen deprivation is an issue for the baby heart rate abnromalities would be detected and the midwife would recommend that you leave the pool.

*Problems associated with temperature extremes
-Extremely hot water could result in maternal hyperthermia which could potentially result in fetal brain damage. The water would have to be very very very hot for this to be an issue.
-Very cold water could stimulate the baby to breathe underwater
-Both of these can be avoided by using common sense and checking the water's temperature.

*Estimating blood loss can be difficult (some practitioners may recommend that you deliver the placenta out of the pool for this reason).

*Anecdotal reports of increased “snapped cords” as a result of mothers/midwives rushing to bring baby out of the water. There has been no research to verify this and more often then not if a cord is "snapped" the process in which the cord in elongated and stretched will cause the blood vessels to constrict which alleviates the risks of extensive bleeding from the baby as is what often happens naturally in the wild during the birth of animals.

Contraindications for Waterbirth (may vary depending on care provider and location)
*Situations where continuous electronic fetal monitoring is indicated
(eg induction involving oxytocin, abnormal fetal heart rate)
*Suspected amnionitis or maternal infections
(eg maternal fever is present)
*Thick meconium stained amniotic fluid
*Excessive vaginal bleeding
*Epidural anesthesia
*Active genital herpes
*Hepatitis or HIV positive
*High BMI (certain places in the UK)
*GBS (certain places in the UK)
*Hospital birth (majority of the places in Canada :dohh:)

NOTE: It is very common for the baseline fetal heartrate to increase up to 30bpm (which may make it appear tachycardic) after getting into the pool. This should go back to normal within 20 minutes and should not be deemed as a reason to get back out.

Birth Pools, Supplies and the Technical Aspects of Having a Waterbirth

Birth Pool Comparison link: https://www.yourwaterbirth.com/editorfiles/file/Pool Comparison Chart 2-11.pdf

Supplies (Many are nice to haves but not essentials)

*Fish net for floaties just in case :blush:

*Hose
-Drinking water quality is preferable
-Shortest length that gets from the sink to the pool is preferable.
-Aquarium hoses tend to be both short and of drinking water quality.
-They can be purchased at pet stores for $10-20.

*Faucet Adapter
-Allows the hose to hook up to the faucet
-Plastic ones are labelled “G” and metal ones are labelled “F”
-These tend to be cheap and are only a couple of dollars

*Waterproof thermometer

*Tarp for underneath the pool

*Comforter/blanket for underneath the pool to make the bottom softer. (Birth pools more often then not have inflatable bottoms which accomplish this)

*Underwater mirror

Air pump
-Electronic air pumps are definitly preferable and much faster then manual ones.
-Generally costs between $10-$15

Pool liner
-Makes clean up easier
-Is more hygienic if you are planning to share the pool

Test Run: It can be very beneficial to do a test run prior to the actual birth to see how long it takes to inflate the pool, fill the pool and to ensure there are no defects with your pump or holes in the pool, etc etc.

Inflating Pool: Time it takes varies. Many recommended inflating it at term 37 weeks and keeping it inflated and ready until the birth.

Filling the Pool: Time it takes varies. Can take 30 minutes to several hours. May be a good idea to turn up the hot water heater beforehand. Water can be heated on the stove if you do run out of hot water.

Recommended Temperature: 95-100.9F or 36-38C (body temp)
Temperature should be checked hourly
(Some recommend covering the pool with a shower curtain and quilt/blanket if you take a break from the pool to help keep the water warm. Some birth pools come with covers)

Emptying the Pool

Bucket Method
-Can take A LONG time
-Cheap, any pail/pot would work

Water pump
-Empties the pool very quickly!
-Expensive

Python fill and drain pump
-Fairly cheap
-Attaches faucet to hose and will drain the pool when the faucet is turned on.
(I have no clue how it actually accomplishes that! :shrug:)

Interesting Waterbirth Studies

Waterbirth & GBS
https://www.springerlink.com/content/313mv1n3m8610140/

Good Waterbirth Websites
????

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Won't the baby drown?
Babies are born with the "diving reflex" which prevents them from trying to breath underwater. It's controlled by the primitive cerebral structures in the brain as well as nerve and chemoreceptors in the face and larynx. When they receptors are exposed to water the brain automatically responds by causing bardycardia (lowered heartrate, apnea (cessation of breathing) and peripheral vasoconstriction (which restricts the blood flow to the limbs and other non-essential body parts). This ensures that the vital organs continue to receive adequate amounts of oxygen. Once the facial receptors encounter air this reflex is inactivated and the baby takes a breath. This reflex is strongest at birth and gradually weakens overtime.

At what stage would you suggest OH start filling up the pool?
I got hubby to start filling the pool once my contractions were every 5 minutes (pimento1979)

How full should you fill the tub? All the way up to the marker or a little less to allow for top ups?Filling to the minimum line should allow adequate room for more hot water to be added later. If necessary, someone can take a few buckets of water out before putting new hot water in to avoid overflow. If your partner will be coming in with you, you'll need less water then if it will be just you.

When should I get into the pool?
It is recommended that you wait until you are in established active labour before getting in the pool because the comfort of it can slow down progress if labour is still in it's early stages. The exact recommendations vary, some midwives say 4cm, some say 5cm, some say 6cm and some say hold out for as long as possible and only get in when the contractions start becoming too intense to deal with on land in order to maximize the pain relief experienced by the water. It has been suggested that the first two hours of being in the water provides women with the greatest amount of pain relief and that the benefits gradually reduce after that making periodic breaks away from the pool beneficial. Some women stay in the water throughout their entire labour with no issues at all.

Can getting into water in early/prodromal/latent labour ever be a good thing?
YES! If you've been having lots and lots of early labour contractions and are having difficulties coping with the pain and are exhausted water therapy can be very beneficial. Not only can it help alleviate some of the pain caused by the contractions but it can cause those pre-labour contractions to space out enough that you can rest/sleep (make sure someone's there to watch you to ensure you don't drown!). Often, once a woman is rested her body will either take a rest from contracting for awhile until it is actually ready to go into labour or she will enter straight into active labour and feel energerized enough to sail through it.

How messy will I be when I get out of the tub? My supply list says to have old towels?
You'll likely be less messy/bloody then someone who was labouring/birthing on land but you will be wet and there is a definitly a chance you'll get some birth goo on whatever it is you use to dry yourself off with so old towels are definitly handy.

Same with baby? Should I have old towels or a nice soft cozy one?
It can be a good idea to have a few old towels or some receiving blankets your not too fond of on hand initially. Again, baby will likely be cleaner then a baby who was born on land but there is certainly still the potential of getting birth goo onto whatever it is that is used to initially dry the baby.

Can and should my partner get in the pool with me?
This is highly individual. If they want to get in with you and you want them to it's a perfectly reasonable for them to do so. Some birth pools are better suited to fit two people then others.

Can vaginal exams be done in the water?
Yes

Could I use a kiddie pool?
You can.... Birth pools are designed to be very strong and can withstand alot of weight being supported by the walls. They have inflatable soft floors which helps ensure the woman's comfort. They are also deep enough (generally up to the mothers breasts) to provide +++ pain relief plus the increased depth makes it easier to deliver the baby completely underwater. If the water is too shallow, there is a risk of bringing baby's head up out of the water and then having it drop back down under during the birth which increases the risk of the baby swallowing fluid. Once the baby is out it should stay out. There are definitly kiddie pools out there that do fit the above criteria though sometimes it can take some searching. The “fishy” (Intex Aquarium) pool has become a very popular choice. And if you do intend on purchasing a kiddie pool do try to get one during the summer as they are much much cheaper the end of August then they are mid March!

Can I use a regular bathtub?
Very large speciality tubs tend to be just find for waterbirths though most standard sized tubs are inadequate in comparison to birth pools. As mentioned above depth of the tub is an important consideration. Also, standard tubs tend to be fairly narrow which can limit a woman's ability to spread her legs and open her pelvis during the pushing stage which can impede the progress. This can also make pushing out the shoulders more difficult and should there be an issue with the shoulders after the birth of the head the midwife may require you to get out of the tub to open up your pelvis more so the rest of the baby can be born. However, if a birth pool is not an option for you labouring in your standard size tubs still holds many benefits and should definitly be utilized if it appeals to you.

Do you have to get out of the pool to deliver the placenta?
You don't necessarily have to though some midwives prefer if you do so they can better monitor the amount of blood lost.

Waterbirth Reviews
(I'd LOVE it if some of you girls who have already had a waterbirth or have laboured in water could write a review of your experience)
-Did you plan to birth in the water?
-Were you in home, hospital, or birth center?
-What type of pool did you use? (was it good, bad, how long did it take to fill up, did it keep the water warm? etc)
-What were you favorite things about being in water?
-What things did you not like?
-If you could do something different next time what would you do?
-Waterbirth pics or videos would be lovely as well

Love this! :thumbup:

I did my test run the other night - blowing up pool was really quick, filling up took AGES due to slow flow and running out of hot water at one point, and emptying wasnt too bad using the pump thing plus OH used bucket at the same time...(pool was right next to patio doors leading directly on to garden!)

Ive got a few questions if thats ok:

At what stage would you suggest OH start filling up pool?
How full should it be? All the way to marker or a little less so can be topped up?
When can I get in it?
How messy will I be on getting out of pool? (obviously it kind of depends but my list says I need old towels so wasnt sure if I would be in a complete state or whether its being cautious!) Same with baby - should I have old towel ready or nice new cosy one?

and off topic - dont you think its odd that my pool's supplied sieve is from a cook shop - yuck! lol

Waterbirth Reviews
(I'd LOVE it if some of you girls who have already had a waterbirth or have laboured in water could write a review of your experience)
-Did you plan to birth in the water?
-Were you in home, hospital, or birth center?
-What type of pool did you use? (was it good, bad, how long did it take to fill up, did it keep the water warm? etc)
-What were you favorite things about being in water?
-What things did you not like?
-If you could do something different next time what would you do?
-Waterbirth pics or videos would be lovely as well

Yes, I planned to birth in the water but I didn't (I transferred to hospital in the end). I was at home in the pool from beginning of contractions to about 7cm. I used a Birth Pool in a Box Regular. It was fab. Easy to get ready. It took about 30 minutes to inflate and 30 minutes to fill to minimum line. We had to top it up with hot water every so often but it wasn't onerous at all. I liked labouring in the water because it was easy to move around. I guess the most annoying part was getting in and out of it to go and pee (although at the end I said F*** it and I peed in the water anyway!), but I think it was good too because everytime I got out of the pool, I had a contraction from the movement. Also, I puked in the pool so I highly recommend that at the slightest inclination of needing to puke, to either go over the edge or ask for a bowl!

As an aside, most midwives would like water at 37 degrees C (98.6 degrees F) for when baby arrives. My water was usually around 34 degrees C, which was just fine, any warmer and I think I would have been too hot!

At what stage would you suggest OH start filling up pool?
How full should it be? All the way to marker or a little less so can be topped up?
When can I get in it?
How messy will I be on getting out of pool? (obviously it kind of depends but my list says I need old towels so wasnt sure if I would be in a complete state or whether its being cautious!) Same with baby - should I have old towel ready or nice new cosy one?

I got hubby to start filling the pool once my contractions were every 5 minutes. But the pool was already blown up. In terms of when can you get in, if you are at home, get in whenever you want! But some people think that getting in too early might stop/slow down your labour. FYI, I got in at 10pm, and at 1:30am I was 4cm, so I was probably very little dilated when I first got in. We filled it into the minimum line so that DH could get in with me and so that we could top up with hot water without having to empty it. Getting out of the pool is not messy at all. I got in and out at least 10 times and I think I used 2 towels max (although my doula did put the towel on the radiator between me getting out/in so they were dry-ish). I bought cheap towels mostly in case for afterwards (blood, etc) but as I didn't get that far at home, I didn't really need them. As for baby, a nice cosy one wouldn't go amiss- the midwife will probably want to warm it for baby to get nice and cuddly in it.

Attachments

• DSC01272 SMALL.jpg
    DSC01272 SMALL.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 22
This is great - thank you!
I was wondering how to empty it after it's all over and done with. Was just going to leave it to OH while I cuddled up with baby... :blush:

To those that had the La Bassine pool - how long did it take to fill?

The place I hired my pool from included a pump to empty it, which made it super easy :)

I added your question blue and it was great getting your imput pimento!

And I have a concern about using the water pumps. My husband picked up a submersible one. It says it has to be completely submerged in water yadda yadda yada and it has to be plugged in. Now this certainly isn't my area of expertise but the thought of plugging something in while the device is in water scares the sh*t out of me. Hubby's not going to become electrocuted will he? How safe are those things?

Yup, ours was submersible and electric and it was fine :)

Thank you for posting this! I'm looking to do a waterbirth (although, in the birth center it's already set up and we don't have to do the work) and am surprised that more women don't chose this option. It just seems so beautiful and peaceful and natural :)

HAHA yeah we sat for ages willing ourselves to put the pump in the water saying the same thing but we are still here! As I think I said, my OH used a bucket at the same time for emptying and it only took about 10 minutes (but thats because the pool is right next to the door so he just filled and threw without having to walk anywhere (the pump was good but slow for us - same filling up)

We have the la Bassine - it took us about an hour to fill, maybe slightly more with the hot water running out - but I think it will be ok for the birth as I can bounce on my ball in the meantime and get the contractions properly going while he messes around!

HAHA yeah we sat for ages willing ourselves to put the pump in the water saying the same thing but we are still here!

:haha:

We want to test ours out but have so far lacked the courage. It'll definitly be hubby's job to do the plugging and unplugging though! I'll just stand back with a long wooden stick just in case....

HAHA yeah we sat for ages willing ourselves to put the pump in the water saying the same thing but we are still here!

:haha:

We want to test ours out but have so far lacked the courage. It'll definitly be hubby's job to do the plugging and unplugging though! I'll just stand back with a long wooden stick just in case....

This is totally from a different angle.. but just think about the pumps and filtration systems in fish tanks and ponds, exactly the same :) (I used to have to clean these things out in a previous job when working with animals/fish).

Although I don't know about you but I quite like the idea of getting DH to empty the pool and doing his fair share of hard work after all I've done! :happydance: :winkwink:

This is great Kandy!

:lol: at you ladies afraid of the water pump, the electrics are protected and naturally it will need to be in the water to drain the water! Kandy I can tell you how the tap attachments works: basically the running water from the tap creates a suction on the adjacent tube as it flows past which draws water up it (ie from the pool) and out. I would've thought it must be possible to use a short hose to drain through simple capillary action - suck on one end until the water starts to come (might need to be brave! :lol:) and then it draws water along by itself. This is the same way people empty fuel from car tanks (usually illegally!).

I happened upon this site the other day, it includes guidance for writing a waterbirth plan:
https://www.thegoodbirth.co.uk/preparing_for_a_waterbirth

This is great Kandy!

:lol: at you ladies afraid of the water pump, the electrics are protected and naturally it will need to be in the water to drain the water! Kandy I can tell you how the tap attachments works: basically the running water from the tap creates a suction on the adjacent tube as it flows past which draws water up it (ie from the pool) and out. I would've thought it must be possible to use a short hose to drain through simple capillary action - suck on one end until the water starts to come (might need to be brave! :lol:) and then it draws water along by itself. This is the same way people empty fuel from car tanks (usually illegally!).

My hubby would DEFINITLY choose possible electrocution over the thought of having to siphon out the birth pool water :haha: He's very squeamish when it comes to such things!

Siphon! That's the word. Stupid pregnancy brain. Struggling with words at the moment.

Got to say I'd rather siphon our birth juices than petrol!

I was talking to my midwife about waterbirths and she said she's perfectly fine with me delivering the placenta in the water (I really didn't have a preference) but then she stated afterwards she had recently read that some were suggesting that delivering the placenta in the water increased the risk of pulmonary embolism. (Pulmonary embolisms scare the sh*t out of me :shock: ).

Anyways, has anyone else heard of this association?

Hi

Im not even pregnant yet so forgive my craziness >< I am ttc tho, and starting to think about how id like to give birth if i ever get pregnant. I would love a water birth, but I am overweight - 36 BMI at the moment. Is there anywhere I can look to see if I meet the criteria for a water birth in my area (Bristol)? I just cannot ask my GP yet as Im not even preg, theyd laugh me away. If I only need to lose a bit then Id like to know now so I could do that before I get preg.

Many thanks

Helen

They can't refuse you a home water birth cranberry but they will probably try to make it seem like you can't have one. They can also be iffy about you having a hospital water birth incase you became unconcious and they couldn't lift you out.

However they will say it's "better" for you to go to hospital because you have a BMI of 36. They are usually happy with BMI either under 35 or under 30, depends on the area. You could still try losing weight before hand though as it might help your chances of getting pregnant and plus you would be healthier during pregnancy as well :)

I was talking to my midwife about waterbirths and she said she's perfectly fine with me delivering the placenta in the water (I really didn't have a preference) but then she stated afterwards she had recently read that some were suggesting that delivering the placenta in the water increased the risk of pulmonary embolism. (Pulmonary embolisms scare the sh*t out of me :shock: ).

Anyways, has anyone else heard of this association?

never heard of an assoication with pulmonary embolism it makes no sense do you mean PE or amniotic fluid embolism? if AFE then Yes I have, it is listed in my training hospitals policy on waterbirths, however it is only a theoretical risk as far as I am aware there are no documented cases of this. Found this: Maude, R. and Caplice, S. (2006). Using water for labour and birth. In: Pairman, S., Pincombe, J., Thorogood, C. and Tracy, S. Midwifery Preparation for Practice.

Third stage and blood loss
There have been no documented cases of complications in relation to the third stage being conducted in the bath. In 1983, Odent proposed a theory that water embolism could be a risk factor. when he wrote that 1983 article, the outcomes were so good that he was asked to put more medical risks in it. So, he made up the whole "water embolism" thing. This has now been largely dismissed, and Odent himself has withdrawn the hypothesis, admitting that it was unfounded and a mythical concept.

In fact AFE it statisically documented that you are more likely to suffer an AFE 1.8 times more likely if you are induced! bet that risk isn't mentioned when discussing IOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->