Wealthy Council Tenants could lose homes

I refuse to repeat myself again. Twice i've explained, I give up.

At the end of the day, every one of you ladies would do the best for your child I should think if you were in the position to do so, so why criticise the decisions of others who are only trying to be good parents as well?

Oh and some people don't want to live on benefits. Its to do with pride and embarrassment. I think some would rather pay full rent in a council house than part rent and claim benefits for private (if thats what you mean).

This is precisely the point I made earlier. I want what is best for my children which is why I would not want to bring them up in a hostel/b&b/high rise in a dangerous area which unfortunately is happening to many families because of the lack of suitable houses available.

And thats fair enough. You want to do whats right by your child by providing a safe environment. Well he wants to do whats right by his and provide her with an education. And like I said before, you'll always put your own kid first than other peoples needs right?

In this world, unfortunately we sometimes have to be selfish. Its just the way it is. Can you not rent privately and get help or something? Move in with a family member for a while rather than living in a hostel or something?

At the end of the day, every one of you ladies would do the best for your child I should think if you were in the position to do so, so why criticise the decisions of others who are only trying to be good parents as well?

Oh and some people don't want to live on benefits. Its to do with pride and embarrassment. I think some would rather pay full rent in a council house than part rent and claim benefits for private (if thats what you mean).

This is precisely the point I made earlier. I want what is best for my children which is why I would not want to bring them up in a hostel/b&b/high rise in a dangerous area which unfortunately is happening to many families because of the lack of suitable houses available.

And thats fair enough. You want to do whats right by your child by providing a safe environment. Well he wants to do whats right by his and provide her with an education. And like I said before, you'll always put your own kid first than other peoples needs right?

Of course you will, although my children are still babies and are unable to fend for themselves.

I did live with a family member for over 2 years and it was unbearable and eventually we managed to find somewhere to rent privately. Its not ideal, the rent is ridiculous and we need to have part paid by the council as its simply too high for us to afford.

Of course you will, although my children are still babies and are unable to fend for themselves.

And i'm sure when they're teenagers you'll still do whats best for them, regardless of whether its seen as right or wrong.

And thats fair enough. You want to do whats right by your child by providing a safe environment. Well he wants to do whats right by his and provide her with an education. And like I said before, you'll always put your own kid first than other peoples needs right
?

I think we will do what is best for our children within our means and within limitations I am at university but my parents are not paying for it because they can't afford too. They are comfortably off but they live in a private rented flat and they have to pay for that. I will pay my fees back when I am working. When Aidan is older if he wants to go to University I will help him if I can afford to. But he will be 18 when he goes to school and if it came between a choice of living in a council house and paying for him to go to uni or paying more rent/mortgage I will always choose paying more for a house. Why? Because I know excalty what it is like to live in a hostel where you can't go to sleep at night because you are petrified of someone coming in. Aidan will be an adult at that point not a vunrable child living in a disgusting, inappropriate and unsafe environment. I'm not saying what your dad is doing is a bad thing at all he is doing what he thinks is best. But I don't think they should be at the expense of other peoples lives and children's start in life xx

I did live with a family member for over 2 years and it was unbearable and eventually we managed to find somewhere to rent privately. Its not ideal, the rent is ridiculous and we need to have part paid by the council as its simply too high for us to afford.

And thats fine but some of us arnt entitled to that help so have no choice

But by living in council accommodation and having reduced rent you are getting help, its whether or not the right people are getting the help they need.

And thats fair enough. You want to do whats right by your child by providing a safe environment. Well he wants to do whats right by his and provide her with an education. And like I said before, you'll always put your own kid first than other peoples needs right
?

I think we will do what is best for our children within our means and within limitations I am at university but my parents are not paying for it because they can't afford too. They are comfortably off but they live in a private rented flat and they have to pay for that. I will pay my fees back when I am working. When Aidan is older if he wants to go to University I will help him if I can afford to. But he will be 18 when he goes to school and if it came between a choice of living in a council house and paying for him to go to uni or paying more rent/mortgage I will always choose paying more for a house. Why? Because I know excalty what it is like to live in a hostel where you can't go to sleep at night because you are petrified of someone coming in. Aidan will be an adult at that point not a vunrable child living in a disgusting, inappropriate and unsafe environment. I'm not saying what your dad is doing is a bad thing at all he is doing what he thinks is best. But I don't think they should be at the expense of other peoples lives and children's start in life xx

And thats fair enough to you if thats your attitude to life :thumbup: but Some people put their own family first even if it is selfish.

But some people when they struggle, they'll do anything not to be put back in that situation if you know what I mean. Say if someone struggled to get a roof over their childs head when they were young, eventually a few years down the line they managed to get things stable and started earning a decent income and there was a chance that they could afford something private. What if they move out of that stable, nicely built home for somewhere else and it doesn't work out? They would have left their home for nothing. So I imagine some people decide to stay because of the security because as you ladies all know, council housing can be hard to come by.

But by living in council accommodation and having reduced rent you are getting help, its whether or not the right people are getting the help they need.

But loads of people who live in council housing aren't bothering to earn a living and pay about £7. And those who are have to pay around £80-£100. Why should someone paying more be turfed out for someone lazy? (Not everyone but in a lot of cases i've seen this seems to be the case)

And really if anyone is going to be bashed, it shouldn't be the hard workers IMO. It should those chavs who pay £4-£7 rent and spend all their JSA allowance on booze and drugs, day in, day out. Those are the ones who should be booted out IMO.

?

And thats fair enough to you if thats your attitude to life :thumbup: but Some people put their own family first even if it is selfish.

But some people when they struggle, they'll do anything not to be put back in that situation if you know what I mean. Say if someone struggled to get a roof over their childs head when they were young, eventually a few years down the line they managed to get things stable and started earning a decent income and there was a chance that they could afford something private. What if they move out of that stable, nicely built home for somewhere else and it doesn't work out? They would have left their home for nothing. So I imagine some people decide to stay because of the security because as you ladies all know, council housing can be hard to come by.

There are a lot of what ifs here - what if they did build up a stable home, earn a decent living, had a comfortable life and it did work out ? Then what ? They are ok so stuff everyone else?

?

Also if you give up a council place for private your classed as volountery homeless as far as the council are concerned and go even further down the list if you have to go back to the council

Realistically, who wouldn't want to rent off the council or housing association for a much lower rate than rent private, or claim benefit to be able to be a SAHM?

?

There are a lot of what ifs here - what if they did build up a stable home, earn a decent living, had a comfortable life and it did work out ? Then what ? They are ok so stuff everyone else?

Yes there are a lot of what ifs, exactly, no security. So its natural that some people would be reluctant to moveon. Like I said before, in this world sometimes you have to be selfish and put your own family first.

Some could argue that asking someone to leave their home they've lived in for 40 years is selfish, but it would be seen as ok because you have a family and need to move in?

But loads of people who live in council housing aren't bothering to earn a living and pay about £7. And those who are have to pay around £80-£100. Why should someone paying more be turfed out for someone lazy? (Not everyone but in a lot of cases i've seen this seems to be the case)

And really if anyone is going to be bashed, it shouldn't be the hard workers IMO. It should those chavs who pay £4-£7 rent and spend all their JSA allowance on booze and drugs, day in, day out. Those are the ones who should be booted out IMO.

Because the point being made is that if you are fortunate enough to be able to private rent or buy your own property then you should do so, as affordable housing should only be made available to those who really need it and by that, I mean families with young children or people who are not able to work.

?

we do earn a decent wage and live a comfertable life but only because we work our butts off, its not even a case of being poor if we rent privately, privatly is off the cards full stop due the price so for now we are living comfertably.
Maybe if one day the prices here arnt stupid then ill rethink it

?

Also if you give up a council place for private your classed as volountery homeless as far as the council are concerned and go even further down the list if you have to go back to the council

Exactly! Why would anyone risk losing that security?

?

I totally see your point and completely understand why people would feel secure in their long standing home. However council housing isn't supposed to be a permanent solution in most cases. Like the people you described they got a council house because they needed it, the system served it's purpose. Protecting the vulnerable and poorer part of the population. But once they are in their feet and they can afford to live comfortably then the system has done it's job, it shouldn't then be abused. If they can afford to they should find somewhere new and let the house be given to people in the very same situation they were in. Yes when I move things may grow wrong and IF that happens I will be back where I started. But if I lived life on what if's I wouldn't step out of my front door.

ETA: Also if someone is financially secure when they move and then suddenly it goes wrong they will be entitled to housing benefit etc. Again the system will then serve it's purpose x

Realistically, who wouldn't want to rent off the council or housing association for a much lower rate than rent private, or claim benefit to be able to be a SAHM?

Not me, as bad as it makes me sound being a sahm would drive me insane, I have the best of both worlds working part time and still spending time with LO and I wouldnt give that up for nothing :)

Because the point being made is that if you are fortunate enough to be able to private rent or buy your own property then you should do so, as affordable housing should only be made available to those who really need it and by that, I mean families with young children or people who are not able to work.

But why should people who can be bothered to earn a living be told how to spend their money? Its an already unfair system as it is. Those who don't work, get benefits so nothing comes out of their pocket. Those who do have to pay for everything. Why on earth should they be told how to spend their money when they're the ones getting up in the morning to earn a living?

I get your point, I do. I can see both sides.

?

I totally see your point and completely understand why people would feel secure in their long standing home. However council housing isn't supposed to be a permanent solution in most cases. Like the people you described they got a council house because they needed it, the system served it's purpose. Protecting the vulnerable and poorer part of the population. But once they are in their feet and they can afford to live comfortably then the system has done it's job, it shouldn't then be abused. If they can afford to they should find somewhere new and let the house be given to people in the very same situation they were in. Yes when I move things may grow wrong and IF that happens I will be back where I started. But if I lived life in what if's I wouldn't step out of my front door.

I know but its not risking getting wet in the rain, should you take an umbrella or not. Giving up a stable home for somewhere with no security is a big step and a big risk. Not everyone is willing to make that risk.

I do completely see your side too though :) unfortunately either way, someone misses out.

someone who is desperate for somewhere to live :shrug: after nearly 3 years on the council list and getting no where, I had no option then to find a house to rent privately. I have lost my place on the list and won't be considered now but I had no alternative - I needed somewhere to live and eventually I found somewhere that would accept us due to the fact that we are claiming part housing benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->