Wealthy Council Tenants could lose homes

But rent to a council house is still benefits lol its paid for by tax because the country owns the house someone still have to pay the repairs, the cost of the build etc the reason more council house are not being built is because each council only X amount a year and most if not all goes on the cheaper rent. Anything cheaper is paid for by tax lol

Actualy no, I pay a cheaper rent because that is their buisness and profit to rent out.
I pay an additional 2080 a year towards comunial charges which covers repaires as well how is anyone else paying towards my rent? its not like they rented it from someone else for £1000 then rented it to me for £500 and someone has to pay the differance.

Because if its a government owned property - there is a big pot of money that everyone pays into and the government share the money out to different departments, one of which is housing.

At the end of the day the council is still a business, housing rent is part of their profit the same as a private landlord, repaires and such are taken out of profits of rent.

If I was to give up this place and rent privatly id have to claim benafits that still comes out of the councils budgets and lowering the amount they can spend out on council properties so it is just a big circle.
Me having a cheaper rent has nothing to do with what others have to pay out tax wise so it is not a benafit, if they where rent from someone else then renting to me at a loss then yes it would be but thats not how it works.

But rent to a council house is still benefits lol its paid for by tax because the country owns the house someone still have to pay the repairs, the cost of the build etc the reason more council house are not being built is because each council only X amount a year and most if not all goes on the cheaper rent. Anything cheaper is paid for by tax lol

Actualy no, I pay a cheaper rent because that is their buisness and profit to rent out.
I pay an additional 2080 a year towards comunial charges which covers repaires as well how is anyone else paying towards my rent? its not like they rented it from someone else for £1000 then rented it to me for £500 and someone has to pay the differance.

Because if its a government owned property - there is a big pot of money that everyone pays into and the government share the money out to different departments, one of which is housing.

Maybe I am just not getting this today but surely council housing is subsidised housing? Council rents are a lot less (usually) that private rents so somewhere down the line somebody is subsidising the difference? Also, they are responsible for repairs etc which you would have to pay yourself if you were a homeowner.

I'm not really sure you can class a council as a business as at the end of the year their aim is not to have made a net profit but to have provided services. Housing is just one of their many services.

Maybe I am just not getting this today but surely council housing is subsidised housing? Council rents are a lot less (usually) that private rents so somewhere down the line somebody is subsidising the difference? Also, they are responsible for repairs etc which you would have to pay yourself if you were a homeowner.

I'm not really sure you can class a council as a business as at the end of the year their aim is not to have made a net profit but to have provided services. Housing is just one of their many services.

I think you can class it as a business as council houses are rarely up to the same standard a private let has to be,therefore they can charge lower rents.xx

At the end of the day the council is still a business, housing rent is part of their profit the same as a private landlord, repaires and such are taken out of profits of rent.

If I was to give up this place and rent privatly id have to claim benafits that still comes out of the councils budgets and lowering the amount they can spend out on council properties so it is just a big circle.
Me having a cheaper rent has nothing to do with what others have to pay out tax wise so it is not a benafit, if they where rent from someone else then renting to me at a loss then yes it would be but thats not how it works.

Do you really believe that the council can make a substantial if any profit from rental ? When you calculate the cost of purchasing/building the home along with its expected income following any deductions for maintenance etc I suspect they would break even at best. The rent is at a reduced amount, way below the market trend - hence it being called affordable housing. It is subsidised for that reason.

I think you can class it as a business as council houses are rarely up to the same standard a private let has to be,therefore they can charge lower rents.xx

This is not the case in my experience (I work alongside the council tenancy officer) all new build homes offer a percentage to affordable housing and they are often furnished to a very high standard. Many of the homes on the estate I work on are much better equipped than my own home! Also, any repairs etc taken care of by the council.

ETA for example, if a council tenant has their door kicked in by police, the council foot the bill for securing the premises and then fitting a brand new front door, at no cost to the tenant :)

This is not the case in my experience (I work alongside the council tenancy officer) all new build homes offer a percentage to affordable housing and they are often furnished to a very high standard. Many of the homes on the estate I work on are much better equipped than my own home! Also, any repairs etc taken care of by the council.

ETA for example, if a council tenant has their door kicked in by police, the council foot the bill for securing the premises and then fitting a brand new front door, at no cost to the tenant :)

Our council would charge us....it says in our tenancy agreement that if we lose keys or something then we get charged :flower: xx

if we broke the door by our fault or something then we have to pay too! If it was not our fault then we wouldnt x

We would NEVER get new carpets from the council though, they dont do that here, we had to do all the floors ourself!

Council dont provide carpets anymore under health and hygien laws.
Our old place was one of the last ones to get them and we had to sign a contract saying they where now our responsability to replace and we hade to remove them or be charged when we moved out.

The new place was a state and we had to carpet it all before moving in, apparently the old tennants hadnt bothered putting carpet down in all the years they had been here (something else that breaks tennancy agreements)

And yes any damage cause buy your own fault such as door being kicked in by the police has to be paid for by the tennant, repaires such as our extracter fan not working (something they still havent blooming fixed)is fixed by them but the cost is covered in our comunial charge along with costs of cleaning the stairway and ground maintenance.

I should add though that our place is housing association not actual council, they are still employed by the council to deal with the housing because not many councils actualy deal with housing direct anymore so some rule are different but its mostly all the same.
It was the council that nominated us for a place with the housing association when we applied with the council and the woman dealing with us actualy said it was a nice change to have tennants that worked and paid their own rent it saved them money having to pay for it.

I think council housing should be for those that truly need it. It is very cheap for a reason because the people that live in then NEED low rent due to low income. Whether that be due to a low paid job or whatever the reason they live there is because they cannot physically afford to rent or buy.

There is a huge shortage of council housing, families are living in cramped conditions or are in hostels, BnB's with children because they haven't got a house available and they haven't got the money to get a deposit for a private landlord because every penny they have is being used. Someone earning a large income like 80,000 plus a year does not need a council house.

I am currently living in council housing, yes I have decorated it to a nice standard but I am not going to spend a fortune on it because I don't intend to stay here. When I finish University I will be on a comfortable wage and I will rent via a private landlord whilst saving to get a mortgage. Why? Because I won't need cheap housing and I don't see myself in need to be in houses for people that need that extra help. I have been in a hostel with no where to turn and no money to find a place to live with a young baby., Banging all hours of the night and finding dirty needles in the hallway. I would not wish that on anyone and when I can pay more money for a house I will. Giving people in the situation I have been in a chance of a home that is safe to bring a family up in. xx

I think council housing should be for those that truly need it. It is very cheap for a reason because the people that live in then NEED low rent due to low income. Whether that be due to a low paid job or whatever the reason they live there is because they cannot physically afford to rent or buy.

There is a huge shortage of council housing, families are living in cramped conditions or are in hostels, BnB's with children because they haven't got a house available and they haven't got the money to get a deposit for a private landlord because every penny they have is being used. Someone earning a large income like 80,000 plus a year does not need a council house.

I am currently living in council housing, yes I have decorated it to a nice standard but I am not going to spend a fortune on it because I don't intend to stay here. When I finish University I will be on a comfortable wage and I will rent via a private landlord whilst saving to get a mortgage. Why? Because I won't need cheap housing and I don't see myself in need to be in houses for people that need that extra help. I have been in a hostel with no where to turn and no money to find a place to live with a young baby., Banging all hours of the night and finding dirty needles in the hallway. I would not wish that on anyone and when I can pay more money for a house I will. Giving people in the situation I have been in a chance of a home that is safe to bring a family up in. xx

Sorry, thanking wasn't enough just wanted to say I agree with this whole heartedly and I think you're pretty wonderful. :thumbup: That's the exact same reason why if me and BF ended up in a council house (I don't think we will as can't wait any longer now LO is getting active it's not safe here, going to try and scrape by on our loans privately renting) we would have left it as soon as we got jobs the other side.

Sorry, thanking wasn't enough just wanted to say I agree with this whole heartedly and I think you're pretty wonderful. :thumbup: That's the exact same reason why if me and BF ended up in a council house (I don't think we will as can't wait any longer now LO is getting active it's not safe here, going to try and scrape by on our loans privately renting) we would have left it as soon as we got jobs the other side.

:thumbup:

I hope you get a house soon hun :hugs: x

With the desperate shortage of social housing these days, what the f*** are people like that doing getting a house like that in the first place?! FFS. The system is totally and utterly screwed!

There are over 1.7 million households currently on waiting lists for social housing at present so even if this proposal went ahead it's worthless.(imo obviously) What gets me aswell is that even on the report it states that the wealthy tenants could be offered the chance to pay the market rate of rent, rather than the subsidised council rate, and "stay in their home".
Is it just me that thinks that completely defeats the object of this proposal?? I thought the purpose was free up much needed homes, reduce waiting times and give the housing to the people that need it most ..

Or have I missed something :shrug:

x

What if some people moved in when they were poor and then got rich? Why should they be turfed out of their home? What about those who have spent a lot of money on doing the place up, nicely tiled bathrooms and what not then to be asked to leave? Some people like to settle in the one house :shrug:

Tonnes of people abuse the system anyway. What about those who have kids just to get a house? Wouldn't you be a bit miffed if you were turfed out of your home just to house someone like that?

(No disrespect to those who need it for valid reasons) but not everyone is like that.

Haha. If you think it works that someone pops out a baby and gets handed a flat then you read too many tabloids. I have a baby, the 3 of us live in one cramped bedroom at BF's dad's house and yet we'd have at least a 2 year wait. Don't believe everything you read.

And yes these families or even single mums who are squashed in with family or friends, with nowhere else to go need these houses!!! I know people like to settle in one place, but council housing, in my opinion should NOT be that permanent. It should be a stop gap for those who really need it, for the period until their on their feet, at which a time people should be gracious enough to realise other people need it more and MOVE THEMSELVES!!!! If they don't then yes their ungrateful asses should be tossed out!!!

Maybe you're right. I shouldn't believe everything I read.

Not everyone can afford to move out of council housing though they might be looked at to be fairly wealthy in comparison to others. Take my Dad for example, he works tonnes of overtime and lives in a council house. So others may say well he's fairly well off because he has plenty in savings, but that money is supporting me through uni, fees, accommodation, living money, the lot. By the time he's paid his bills and what not, he hasn't got much left. But yet because of his income he'd be considered fairly comfortable :shrug: just because someone is earning a fair amount does not in anyway mean they can afford private, to get a mortgage or afford to move on.

I get the whole 100k thing but you don't know what bills they're having to pay. How do you know their not funding their kids through university or private school or something? In which case they may not be able to afford to move on.

i'm sorry but IMO if your dad can afford to fund you through uni, he shouldn't be living in a council property. if i was living in a council property i could afford to do loads of stuff, but i don't and so i can't. why is it fair that your dad has his rent subsidised and lots of us don't? it isn't.

So because he wants to support his children he should move out and rent privately and then still not be able to support them?
Maybe he can afford to support them because he works hard.

Why has this all suddenly become "if I cant get somthing why should you"

because it is a "them" and "us" situation. those that are in a position to rent privately, and those that aren't. if you are in a position to rent privately but choose to stay in council properties, then someone who NEEDS it is missing out.

Ok so im a council tenant, not the typical type alot of you think most of us are though. I pay my rent, my partner works part time ( even with having a disability) and I look after my 3 children one of which has disabilties.

I got a council flat in the first instance after renting for years and suddenly woke up to find a "for sale" board outside.
I was homeless for 6 months living in a bed and breakfast until I was given a 2 bed flat. I eventually had 2 more children and my youngest son has alot of health problems where the flat we lived in was no longer suitable, we had single glazing windows where it actually got wet inside and condensation everyday, there was no way we could afford private renting.

After 8 years of being in a flat we have been given a 3 bed bungalow which I look after to the highest standard and I will look upon it as my home.
There was 1 bloke who lived in this house before us his whole life (55 years) with his parents but he agreed to downsize and I would do the same when my children leave home because then I can work full time and I wont need a 3 bed but until then I consider it home.

100k is alot of money to be on and have a council house so I agree with this but I dont feel people should be forced out of homes they have lived in all their lives.

the sad thing is people will always get round the council and get a place, although those who are really in need wait forever.
My old flat I use to live in obviously was given to someone else who had the keys to the flat yet took 8 weeks to move in as they felt the need to decorate it ALL before they moved in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! were they in desperate need??? NO...but sadly this happens and people get round the system.

What pees me off most is people who get disabled accessible properties/properties with adaptations already done just because they are top of the list, but the council won't rehouse us into a house that isn't accessible for Tegan. If that's the case, why don't they save the disabled ones for people who really need them? There are some people who genuinely DO need a council place - us included - because otherwise we won't be able to get the stuff Tegan needs. You can't get them done in private housing. If you own your own house, the council refuses to help

I totally agree with the above tegans mama. reading back through I find it disgusting you havnt been helped out.
We was told our bungalow had the adapations that were needed for my partners and sons and possibly my daughters needs, we was told the doors had been widended for possible wheelchair access and we had a shower because of my husbands disabilties..we didnt get any of this and was told if we wanted it we would have to apply for housing adaptions and pay for it ourselves and go on a waiting list of upto 2 years!!!!! SHOCKING!

I refuse to repeat myself again. Twice i've explained, I give up.

At the end of the day, every one of you ladies would do the best for your child I should think if you were in the position to do so, so why criticise the decisions of others who are only trying to be good parents as well?

Oh and some people don't want to live on benefits. Its to do with pride and embarrassment. I think some would rather pay full rent in a council house than part rent and claim benefits for private (if thats what you mean).

This is precisely the point I made earlier. I want what is best for my children which is why I would not want to bring them up in a hostel/b&b/high rise in a dangerous area which unfortunately is happening to many families because of the lack of suitable houses available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->