Wealthy Council Tenants could lose homes

by the way just wanted to add we survive on £8000 a year.

If we didnt have our council house (well its HA, But through council, thats how it works here) we could not afford to live in this area. Simple. Its a VERY expensive are and there is no way I would uproot my kids from school etc. I dont think thats my problem to be honest, as harsh as it sounds. I got given my house fair and square, I didnt lie and I didnt cheat.

If we were earning enough to rent privately then that would be fab but to be honest, we wouldnt unless we could get a mortgage as I can not be doing with moving and uprooting every few years! Plus it is very very likely that we will only ever have one full term wage coming in to our family.

I know its wrong that in some places the system needs reviving but people like my "friend" make me mad. She moved in a 2 bed having 2 children and has since gone one to have 2 more, while STILL in her 2 bed and she whines at me because I have a bigger house. WTF. Its not my fault, she knew her situation before she had more children?

I dont know, I just dont think you can force people to move without a good reason!

by the way just wanted to add we survive on £8000 a year.

£8k a year wouldnt even get you a garage here, seriously I tried to get one to keep the car in and the rent is £700 a month

I'd say the fact he can support you through uni would count as a huge luxury that not many could afford. How different is it to spending out on a luxurious car? I know the two are not the same? But money is money, right?

Also if it came to where he couldn't afford to pay his rent then he could claim housing benifit if he is privately renting? :shrug:

Its true, it is a luxury. But when he got that house he was earning next to nothing, he's made it a home for himself and is settled. I fail to see why he should move. It's not like he can afford it straight out, thats money he has saved up over many years, why should he have to blow it on a load of rent for a private place when he could put it to better use - a debt free future for me!

I'm sorry but all of you who have a problem with it, you can't tell me you wouldn't put your own child(ren) first.

Also, I think he pays £320 or something per month to live in a 2bed house. For a 2bed pokey little flat it would cost around £400. Why would anyone make that change if it would make them worse off? To put others first? Unfortunately, in this world you have to look after no1 (as you all know).

I'd say the fact he can support you through uni would count as a huge luxury that not many could afford. How different is it to spending out on a luxurious car? I know the two are not the same? But money is money, right?

Also if it came to where he couldn't afford to pay his rent then he could claim housing benifit if he is privately renting? :shrug:

So the the alternative to working hard and paying your rent is to move and claim benafits and expect others to pay for you?

And no if he was to keep working the way he was then he wouldnt be intitled to any housing benafit, hed only get that if he gave up some or all of his work and claimed

Thats why there are so many problems to begine with.

So the the alternative to working hard and paying your rent is to move and claim benafits and expect others to pay for you?

And no if he was to keep working the way he was then he wouldnt be intitled to any housing benafit, hed only get that if he gave up some or all of his work and claimed

Thats why there are so many problems to begine with.

I really don't think that moomoo was suggesting that he should give up his home and claim benefits, from what I gather, the point being made was that there is assistance there for people who do privately rent but can't manage the full rental amount on their income. Unfortunately, there are so many problems because people have to apply for housing benefit for their privately rented homes as they are unable to get into council properties where rent is a lot more affordable. Which has kind of brought us back to the original point of this thread.

Tbh i kind of agree if he can afford £3,000 fee's and your housing etc while your a student he could private rent or have a deposit to buy a small 1/2bed flat/house.. If he was working and could not afford the council would help pay part of his rent leaving a 2bed for a family who need it who cannot afford to save or get a deposit together.

But if your earning over a certain amount then your not entitled to HB so its realy all about picking the lesser of 2 evils.

If I was to privatly rent id have to either go back to work full time and never see my son much and end up losing the extra wages on child care anyway or give up work because I couldnt afford the travle or current child care and end up claiming benafits that others have to pay for and still be moaned about for using up resources.
How do you win?

It is a set amount of earning though? i know our area when we claimed you could get upto X amount per month so e.g council will pay upto £500 for a 2bedhouse, then they take your income, Deduct how much they say you need to live on, something like £80 per person per week, and see what your left with.. So if you have £1,000 a month coming in and 3 people in your house they would say you need atlest £960 to live off so would pay most of your rent.. Although the figures i am using are totally pulled out my bum lol And Childbenifit cannot be taken into account.. However as i said its been a while since we claimed and figures are different for different areas to allowed to higher costs in some parts of the country

Ok just ran the actual figures for a 2bed in my area lol

Based on bringing home £1,050 a month for 2adults and 1child
the LHA is £475.02 which is the most the our council will pay for a 2bedhouse

Rent basied at £500
Income £1,050
2Adults
1Child
the council would pay £384.76 of the monthly rent

Which would leave you £115.24 to pay per month

But if your earning over a certain amount then your not entitled to HB so its realy all about picking the lesser of 2 evils.

If I was to privatly rent id have to either go back to work full time and never see my son much and end up losing the extra wages on child care anyway or give up work because I couldnt afford the travle or current child care and end up claiming benafits that others have to pay for and still be moaned about for using up resources.
How do you win?

Surely living in subsidised housing is a form of benifit? :shrug:

x

How do you win?

Surely living in subsidised housing is a form of benifit? :shrug:

x

Not realy, its just a cheaper rent that im still paying for, im not having anyone else or tax payers money pay for it for me.

I refuse to repeat myself again. Twice i've explained, I give up.

At the end of the day, every one of you ladies would do the best for your child I should think if you were in the position to do so, so why criticise the decisions of others who are only trying to be good parents as well?

Oh and some people don't want to live on benefits. Its to do with pride and embarrassment. I think some would rather pay full rent in a council house than part rent and claim benefits for private (if thats what you mean).

But rent to a council house is still benefits lol its paid for by tax because the country owns the house someone still have to pay the repairs, the cost of the build etc the reason more council house are not being built is because each council only X amount a year and most if not all goes on the cheaper rent. Anything cheaper is paid for by tax lol

Oh. Well I didn't know that :shrug: my original opinion still stands though.

I refuse to repeat myself again. Twice i've explained, I give up.

At the end of the day, every one of you ladies would do the best for your child I should think if you were in the position to do so, so why criticise the decisions of others who are only trying to be good parents as well?

Oh and some people don't want to live on benefits. Its to do with pride and embarrassment. I think some would rather pay full rent in a council house than part rent and claim benefits for private (if thats what you mean).

Hey I totally agree with people doing the best that they can for their kids, it's the system that's the problem...as you said some people won't leave because it's not in their interests to, so the question is should they be made to so that others in more need can use the housing? As you say each individual is only going to look after them and their own, but it is the job of the welfare state to look after those who are in need, not everyone.

Personally though I think people are being a bit harsh to your dad's situation. it's not as if he's on a high, stable income. You say he works overtime and there's no way to know whether that overtime could suddenly be stopped easily. And as you said, savings don't last and they're not a sustainable source of income he can live on for years.

Rent basied at £500
Income £1,050
2Adults
1Child

How do you fnd out how much the council would pay?

Rent basied at £500
Income £1,050
2Adults
1Child

How do you fnd out how much the council would pay?

I just typed in LHA peterborough and got sent straight to my city councils page.. Where do you live hun ill have a look see if i can find it

EDIT::

just seen surrey lol

https://www.surreyheath.gov.uk/ctbenefits/benefits/LHA.htm

Basied on a 4week month for a 2bed the Max your council would pay is £1,160 per month(4week month)

EDIT 2::

cannot find your calculator but heres my councils they should all work the same its just the LHA thats different

https://www.peterborough.gov.uk/housing/housing_benefit/benefit_calculator.aspx

But rent to a council house is still benefits lol its paid for by tax because the country owns the house someone still have to pay the repairs, the cost of the build etc the reason more council house are not being built is because each council only X amount a year and most if not all goes on the cheaper rent. Anything cheaper is paid for by tax lol

Actualy no, I pay a cheaper rent because that is their buisness and profit to rent out.
I pay an additional 2080 a year towards comunial charges which covers repaires as well how is anyone else paying towards my rent? its not like they rented it from someone else for £1000 then rented it to me for £500 and someone has to pay the differance.

Actualy no, I pay a cheaper rent because that is their buisness and profit to rent out.
I pay an additional 2080 a year towards comunial charges which covers repaires as well how is anyone else paying towards my rent? its not like they rented it from someone else for £1000 then rented it to me for £500 and someone has to pay the differance.

I think that must change city to city again then since we dont pay comunial charges here soo confusing this council house lark :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->