Weaning 3 year old from NG tube?

purplerat

Mum of 3
Reaction score
Hi, my son is 3 in January and has recently had a kidney transplant. He's slowly starting to eat more food but he doesn't drink. He might hold fluid in his mouth and then it dribbles out. Has anyone got any tips or experiences they can share with weaning toddlers off ng tubes? He only got the tube in May, and he used to drink well from a bottle but got the tube as his intake got lower and lower.

Obviously I don't want to give him a bottle, though that was the only thing he'd drink out of pre tube. I've tried so many cups and sippy cups, even syringes (that's worked best but still not great)

Also, I want to help him to try new foods so we can build up a nutritional diet, as his current tube feed has it all so what ever else he eats is extra. Since transplant he's started eating pizza, mashed potato and spag Bol as well as things he ate pre like crisps, bread, biscuits, yoghurts, chips and chocolate,

I should also mention he used to eat those foods in tiny doses, he's now got an appetite which is great but just seems to want to eat those same things. Sometimes if he tries something more chewy like a chicken nugget, he'll chew and chew but just spit it out. I'm not sure if there's a way to encourage swallowing. I know it's going to take time to get him to eat and drink normally but the hospital haven't been very helpful so far and im not sure where to start!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->