Weaning from BF with lemon juice?

KarenLV

Reaction score
I was told by an acquaintance that she weaned her toddler from BF by rubbing a lemon on her nipples before every feed? Anyone tried this?

Ummm.... Knowing how much my LO just loves booby juice, I would say that this is cruel and unusual punishment!! I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. There are much better ways of weaning out there.

Poppy would lick it off and carry on regardless :D

Noooooooo

That sounds truely horrible. Poor bubs!

aww poor baby. i HATE LemonJuice like ew it makes me shudder and im 19!! poor baby :(

Whoa ladies, its just a little lemon juice! Although I gotta say I don't think its the route I would take.

I imagine the theory behind this method of weaning is that instead of letting baby think it is being rejected, its making it the baby's "choice".
Its probably not the most sound route, but I think calling it cruel and mean is pretty extreme.
Not looking to argue, just saying. :hugs:
EDIT: And the op was talking about a toddler, not a small baby.

i dont think i would like it either not only that but doing it to a baby may mess up there tummy! im sure there are other ways

I imagine the theory behind this method of weaning is that instead of letting baby think it is being rejected, its making it the baby's "choice".
Its probably not the most sound route, but I think calling it cruel and mean is pretty extreme.
Not looking to argue, just saying. :hugs:
EDIT: And the op was talking about a toddler, not a small baby.

I agree, altho maybe not the best way, I dont think its as bad as all that xx

Agreed. She did state toddler so obviously it's a last resort sort of thing. :shrug: I wouldn't do it but it doesn't sound like it's the worst idea in the world. I've definately heard of worse things.

Yes, she definitely said toddler. This is not a small baby we're talking about. I've heard of women doing this as a last resort to get their baby to wean from nursing. Have you tried most other weaning approaches? I know it was difficult with Valerie to wean her. I think we finally succeeded around 13-14 months old. I would try every other approach first and then as a last resort, use the lemon juice. Good luck!!!

I nursed until Hayden was a toddler and I think it's just as bad as doing it to a baby, they were born and have nursed until example 18mo, every day, it's comfort plus nutrition to suddenly make it where it tastes disgusting and taking that comfort away in that way to me is wrong. There are other ways of weaning without doing it that way. Plus a toddler you can talk and reason with even more and explain things to them. Yeah I don't agree with it...sorry

i've never heard of it to wean a baby from the breast, but i have heard of it as a way of getting a toddler to give up the use of a pacifier/dummy/soother & also as a\way of getting older children to stop biting their nails, lol.
each to their own i say....

I think it is really rude and harsh for all of you to sit here and judge Karen. Her son is well old enough to get his nutrition without nursing and she has a new baby arriving very shortly.

If conventional ways of weaning arn't working I dont think this is cruel by any means. Trying to wean an older toddler from nursing and co-sleeping just gets harder and harder the older they get.

Your boobs arn't what comforts your child. The bond and loving relationship you have with them is their comfort.

btw you should feel proud of bf for 18 months almost. There is no shame in wanting to wean if thats what you wish and I hope you dont let anyone make you feel guilty for your choices.

I actually am appalled at the lack of support your getting from your bfing peers. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->