weaning off bottle

A_Z

Reaction score
We've been trying to begin weaning my 13mo off her bottle, with very limited success. Since she was around 11 months she's been VERY attached to it and uses it as a comfort object. After she finishes drinking one she likes to carry it around with her, and will often cry if we take it away. With most habits like this we've been really good at avoiding them in the first place, but this just really snuck up on us.

She is perfectly capable of using a sippy cup, but refuses to drink her milk/formula from one (she'll drink water, smoothies, etc. without trouble). She'll take a sip, realize it's milk, and spit it out.

At this point she uses the bottle to fall asleep at night also. We give her a clean, empty one, so it's not rotting her teeth or anything, but she's just so dependent on it.

Any ideas? I've been reading online, and it says that for truly attached toddlers you should explain that you're taking the bottle away, but I don't know if she'd understand yet.

My mother had a "ceremony" with my youngest brother who had issues like that. I still laugh about it. "Good bye bottle, hello cup" She threw the bottle in the trash or something like that and made a huge fuss about it and I guess that worked.

Do you know how old your brother was? I'm just worried she wouldn't understand.

we dropped a bottle after 2 yo. She only had one before bed time. Wasn't worth the trouble. She screamed for a couple days and went through all cabinets and drawers looking for it :) Even now if she sees it (I am trying to get LO to drink from a bottle), she still asks for it. I think some babies just have a very strong sucking reflex so taking it away is very traumatic. I wouldn't push it now, just keep trying taking it away and if doesn't work, try again in a month etc..

I think he was about 16 months or so but I will call my mom to ask. It may have been sooner. My mother seemed to do everything super early with most of us. 5 of her 6 kids were potty trained by 14 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->