weaning question

pcsoph2890

Reaction score
My just 5 months old daughter now has a big bowl of porridge in the morning. She now no longer has any milk (her choice not mine) until about 11am ish.

Obviously I cannot force milk down her if she doesn't want any, but if they have a hearty meal do they not wAnt their milk anymore??

I was always told before 6months always offer bottle before food and after 6months bottle after food.
Its so they still fill up on the calorific milk first as food is just to taste before 6months. Do u make up your dd's porridge with formula milk still? If so I would try and remember how many oz you use to make it as still counts towards her milk intake :thumbup:

What happens if you offer her milk first thing in the morning before she has her porridge? Up to about a year or close to it (at least 9-10 months), it's recommended to offer milk first and food second. I'd try offering her milk when she gets up and then her porridge an hour or two later. If she refuses any milk at all before breakfast, then I'd say it's fine. Just make sure she gets plenty later in the day, even if you need to cut back on solids to squeeze it in. You might even try offering her milk at the time she'd normally have breakfast (say, 8am) and then porridge only as a snack at say 10am. At only 5 months, milk is more important than solids and you can always add solids back in later when she's a little older and has a bigger appetite.

Like said previously, before a year breast milk/formula should come first and food second. The milk should be the main source of nutrition. I don't give my almost 7 month old food until an hour or two after her she finishes her first bottle. If I gave her food first there is no way she would get enough formula throughout the day. My little girl has 4 bottles a day so I fit in 3 meals between the bottles. This is our day:

8:00am bottle
10:00 breakfast
12:00 bottle
2:00 lunch
4:00 bottle
6:00 dinner
8:00pm bottle

She's not wanting her milk because you're filling her up with porridge, the milk is much more nutritious, I know it can be hard to believe a liquid offers more good than a heartier solid meal but honestly they get a lot more from the milk so offer that first and if you want to carry on with solids offer after the milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->