Weaning routine for a 5 month old baby?

blue.bird

Reaction score
No idea what I am supposed to be doing :shrug:

All the books say give 1-2 teaspoons, then up it to 3-4 teaspoons over a week or so but Tabs happily wolfs down 3-4 tablespoons and more in the right mood (or with the right flavour :haha:)

I wanted to share our weaning routine to see if any experienced - or just more confident! - mums can check it is ok and would also love to have a peep and see what anyone else is doing for their 5 month old. Thank you in advance :flower:

8.00 AM - 6oz milk
8.30 AM - yogurt or enough mashed fruit to fill a petit filous sized pot
12.00 AM - 6oz milk and 1/3 baby jar
4.00 PM - 6oz milk and 1/3 baby jar
8.00 PM - 7oz milk with 3 milk scoops baby rice

Ive just started weaning my son Monday but ive just started off with 1 spoon or 1 and half at dinner time just to try and get him used to spoon first. Reason i only give him that is because i dont want him to drop too much milk. At his age he should be on 24-28 oz at least. If shes taking her milk though then she should be fine hun. Just try and stick to plain things best you can until 6 months then you can introduce meats and stuff. Also they say to give one food per every 4 days as then if they have a reaction you know what it is. my lo would wolf down the whole pot but hes already dropped a couple of oz a day so i dont want to give him too much. Once she is 6 months on 3 meals a day you can reduce her milk as long as shes getting between 18-21oz x

my aim is to try and do it slowly until hes more near the 6 month mark and by then im hoping for 3 meals per day so if he does drop his milk then it should be fine and hes getting enough solids and milk x

We've just started at five months this week. So far he's taking two tbs of rice cereal mid day an hour after his bottle. He is drinking about 35-40 oz a day in six bottles.

Thank you for your time ladies! :flower:

Do you think I should up her milk and lessen the food a bit? I notice your boys are drinking more then she is, so maybe I should be doing 4 7oz bottles a day instead? And can I just 'change' the routine like that without upsetting her too much?

x

ive just looked hun and your lo is having approx 25 oz which is fine. If she does start to drop milk though i would cut back on the 3 meals per day and possibly just start at one for a couple of weeks then on to 2 then on 3 etc. At her age milk is her main source of food. They do say once they are on 3 meals per day they can have 18-21oz on average but thats from a 6 month guideline. Best thing to do is not rush.

It shouldnt hurt to keep doing what your doing to be honest. My lo has 5 x 7oz bottles a day but usually only drinks 6oz on about 3 of them....reason hes not on less is that i only give him 1-2 tsp of puree max at about 12 dinnertime x

My LO is 5 months and we have just reached the end of our 2nd week weaning. This is our routine (roughly) atm

8.30 Baby rice & fruit (about 5 spoons) plus 7oz milk (some of this milk used for rice)
12.30 7oz Bottle
4.30 Couple spoons of veg (carrot, swede, potato.....something like this) & 7oz bottle
8pm 7oz bottle

Works for us at the mo although he likes his breakfast and takes most of it, so has dropped a couple oz in the morn (past 2 days). However he seems to have compensated for this by waking in the night. Am thinking of introducing lunch soon.

Hiya - i would start slowly and build up so she doesn't cut back on milk but if she is fine then go for it.
This is ours at the mo - we started just before 5 months due to poor weight gain and reflux - at first i gave him just a teaspoon of babyrice at 11am then added some fruite and gradually increased - moved the babyrice to teatime and intoduced a cube of veg and again gradually increased it. He is now just about 6 months, loves his food and feeds:

7am breast feed (plus 4oz top up as i have v. low supply)
11:00ish 7oz bottle
11:30-12ish 6 cubes of veg puree
2:30-3:00ish 7oz bottle
5:30ish 5 teaspons of baby rice and 2 cubes of fruit puree
6:30 7oz bottle

Sometimes he wakes in the early hours for a feed (give him 4 oz) but sometimes not. He very rarely leaves any milk and until he is sleeping through consistently or drops a feed himself i will keep it as it is. I will start to introduce protein now that he is 6 months so this may change his milk needs too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->