Weaning special needs baby

lj2245

Reaction score
My baby turns 6 months old next week and her SALT and HV are keen for me to press on with weaning. My sons were so easy, both could sit unassisted at 5 months old and were so keen to start weaning. My eldest was weaned at 4 months and my youngest son at 5 months. My girl is showing zero signs of being ready and I'm having to express milk and give it to her in a bottle because she doesn't open her mouth in anticipation of food (which made breastfeeding impossible). She doesn't bring anything to her mouth (she barely holds anything except her bib) and she can't sit up at all.

Does anyone have any experience of weaning a baby with a brain injury and could possibly offer any advice? We've been told to start with puréed veg which I'm fine with, it's just getting it in her mouth that's going to be the problem. I don't want her to end up with a feeding tube again (she had one for the first month) so I'm so nervous about it being a success.

No experience but didn't want to read and run. Could you try the reuseable pouches with the attaché able spoons on like these initially https://www.tesco.com/direct/fill-n-squeeze-reusable-baby-food-pouches-10-x-150ml/429-8984.prd

I don't have any experience but if she is doing well and growing on breastmilk, I don't see why it would be necessary to rush weaning. Babies don't NEED anything else before one, it's just about the experience of trying new foods, but if she's not developmentally ready for solids, staying on BM might be the best thing for her. Especially if she may have swallowing issues and such.

I follow a blog of a lady who has 8 month twins, one of whom has Downs Syndrome (along with several other health issues). He was really struggling just with formula and on some special expensive forumla and then recently she decided to try breat milk with him and he's doing so much better. I'm sure she will let you know when she's ready.

I'm sorry but I disagree with the above post and you should press on as advised by the health professionals.

My son has brain issues and takes longer to pick things up shall we say. It's slow going but I just weaned as normal and he was in stage 1 stuff for 6m but practice practice practice is the only way to do it I'm afraid. It's frustrating and messy and slow going but you'll get there. Good luck.

Ps
I mainly used Yoghurts and Ella's kitchen pouches for ease (spoon feeding)

Thanks. I'm definitely going to go with the professional advice and push on with solids. It's easy to say she will let me know when she's ready when you have no experience of a child with a brain injury. She may never show traditional signs of being ready and she's certainly not capable of doing so now. In any case, I completely disagree that babies don't need solids until 1.

Re the spoon and pouch, I have some of those from when my 2yo was little but she can't hold anything so I'm thinking normal spoons may be easier but I'll definitely try everything.

I've bought some baby porridge and I'm all geared up for a home cooking/pureeing/freezing session. She aspirates a lot due to muscle tone problems so we have always added a thickener to her breast milk. I'm hoping the puréed food won't be too big a leap for her.

:hugs: my worry would be chocking and if you already thicken her milk then I think keeping a thicker food would be a good start. Love the idea of thick yoghurt sand when you do the vegetables etc keep them a bit thicker too?

I agree slow and steady, even just a spoon a day building up :thumbup:

My son has brain damage too....tho ours was a different ball game as acquired just after 12 months so we weaned ok then had to re learn but a lot of the building blocks were still there somewhere. X

:hugs: my worry would be chocking and if you already thicken her milk then I think keeping a thicker food would be a good start. Love the idea of thick yoghurt sand when you do the vegetables etc keep them a bit thicker too?

I agree slow and steady, even just a spoon a day building up :thumbup:

My son has brain damage too....tho ours was a different ball game as acquired just after 12 months so we weaned ok then had to re learn but a lot of the building blocks were still there somewhere. X

Thank you. We have been giving her baby porridge once a day for a couple of weeks now and it's hard work but she enjoys it. The very reason I use the porridge is because it can be made thick :) The worry of her aspirating anything thinner is a very real one!

The biggest problem, apart from getting the food in her mouth and keeping it there, is knowing when she is full. Its difficult to judge with a baby who doesn't open her mouth! I didn't anticipate that so we are having to just give very little amounts.

I never knew when my son was full, he never even really expressed hunger and at this time as best as I know he was an average baby! They eat a lot les than people think they should. Did they not give any tips on things for weaning as it's such a worry with thinner foods. You could add flavours and blended fruit to the porridge too so diff a great place to start x

I never knew when my son was full, he never even really expressed hunger and at this time as best as I know he was an average baby! They eat a lot les than people think they should. Did they not give any tips on things for weaning as it's such a worry with thinner foods. You could add flavours and blended fruit to the porridge too so diff a great place to start x

We got a new SALT a couple of months ago and she's been to see us once and is impossible to get hold of. We are managing fine though, she's growing and happy so I must be doing something right :) she's taking small amounts of solids twice a day now and is still taking the same amount of breastmilk as she was before she had solids.

Not sure if of any use but we use a lot of chew stixx as he sensory seeks but they can be used to improve oral skills for eating? Glad she's doing well :hugs: also glad that salt bein Mia isn't just a thing we notice :growlmad:

I'll google sensory stixx and look at them but phoebes oral problems are sensory, she doesn't seem to realise her mouth is there! I'll try anything though. At the moment I let her play with a spare plastic tube from my breast pump as it's very light and she's fascinated by it. She *almost* looked like she brought it to her mouth yesterday. I guess all I can do is continue to encourage her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->