weaning tips needed :)

bumpsmum

Mummy to Matthew & Daniel
Reaction score
morning giries,

On advice of Paediatrician we have to start introducing solids to Matthew to try and get his weight up (7 weeks prem) he's 26 weeks (19 corrected), I have a few questions I was hoping some lovely ladies ould answer for me......

1. Do I introduce solids with a formula feed i.e Mathew gets his second fee d at 11.30am thought that would be best place to start, he had a 2 baby spoons of baby rice yest and loved it but im sure I read somewhere to introduce foods outwith feeds is this correct? ie in-between feeds

2. Roughly how long do I stick with one meal was thinking a few days on 2 spoon fulls then gradually increase it when he's happily taking that for 2 weeks or so trying diferent foods maybe introduce pureed veg or fruit at say tea time (his feed is a 3.30 then 7.30 so was thinking 5.30pm for solids?)

3. When do I start introducing things like butter and cheese to purees etc to introduce small amounts of fat etc obv its too soon now but when is a good time?

Sorry for the long post I rather clueless :blush: x

Hi! :D We started bwith baby riceafter her morning milk feed. Did this for about a week and then introduced a lunchtime meal of fruit/ pureed veg, and the after another week or so added in her 3rd meal at tea time. Whilst its still new to you I'd say just give the meals whenever works for you. We soon settled into a routine and now she has. Morning milk feed about 7am, Brekkie 7.30-8, Late morning milk feed 11-11.30 am, Lunch 12.30-1, Late afternoon milk feed between 3-4, Dinner about 5-6 and then Milk at 7. This routine just kinda happened after a few weeks.

As for fats etc, my Hv said from 6 months they can pretty much have anything, meat, fat, whole milk in food etc. Obviously Im not guna start her on pork chops or anything lol but have made her spag bol and given her a bit of ham etc too. Also grated cheese mixed in with vegetable purees. I'd reccomend Annabel Karmel top 100 baby purees for ideas! Got some nice recipes in! xxx

thanks Plumfairy

Thats very helpful was not sure if you give food before or after bottle but after makes sense at this stage as its supplementing milk and dont want him to not finish his bottle after solids.

This weeks plan then is gonna be offer 8oz at 7.30 (he'll prob drink 7oz) then baby rice or baby porridge say 8.30/9am and build up from there. I have heard good things about the Annabel Karmel books so gonna look into that hanks again

PS. Layla is soooo cute x

Aaw thanks hun, Matthew is gorgeous too! :cloud9: Hope it goes well and that he enjoys his grub. :D xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->