Weight Gain

SonnyH

Reaction score
So, I started pregnancy at 60kg or about 132 lbs. I'm 5'7 and this puts me smack bang in the middle of a healthy BMI and I'm a size 10ish in clothes. I haven't actually weighed myself since until today and I'm really quite shocked to find I'm now 72kg or 160ish lbs! I appear to have put on about 28 lbs which is right at the top of the weight you should gain! But weirdly, I haven't noticeably put on much weight to look at? I still fit in size 10 tops, my maternity jeans are my usual size 12 quite comfortably and people keep telling me I've been lucky not to put on weight and that I'm mostly bump? My midwife just the other day said I'd been doing well weight wise and looked very healthy in that respect.. so I'm slightly baffled by the weight gain?! Can you gain weight internally and it not show much on the outside? I'm now worrying a bit that I need to try reign it in and not overgain for my own health.. I eat OK, I get pretty hungry so I'm not restricting food particularly but eating healthily overall. I'm very inactive though, I could do more in that respect..!

How's your protein intake? Theoretically the additional weight/extra protein if you've been eating more of it than usual could have promoted some muscle growth, especially if your activity levels have gone up. (despite still being relatively inactive overall) Even your hormones could be promoting a certain amount of extra muscle growth.

Alternatively, there's a good chance you just have more or less of the other stuff your body accumulates during pregnancy. Water is a good guess, though you haven't mentioned any swelling.

You didn't mention how far along you are now? How long has it been since you were 60kgs? As PP said, if you have upped your protein you may be gaining muscle but as with anything weight related, clothes size rather than weight is a better indicator of where you're at.

Depending on how far along you are you have to remember you now have things like a baby, placenta, fluid, milk boobies:haha: etc adding to your weight. I was 73kgs when I started (but am not overweight or look out of proportion for my height - I'm curvy/hourglass shape) and at 16 weeks I weighed 77kgs so I'd put on 4kgs in over 4 months and it doesn't necessarily mean that's 4kg of fat. I am still wearing most of my normal work dresses but pants I'm in maternity size 12-14.

I wouldn't worry too much as long as you are eating healthy most of the time and active at least 2-3 times a week.

The exact same thing is happening to me! And we have a similar due date.

I've gained 20lbs already, and people have told me that I'm all bump.

However my OB is saying to lay off of carbs... :haha:

I'm not too concerned only because I know I have large babies and all of my measurements are normal. (Blood pressure, protein, amniotic fluid, hardly any water retention/swelling)

Hopefully we both level out with weight gain...

I'm 26 weeks.. so a fair few weeks to get through yet! No swelling anywhere as yet, my boobs have grown quite a bit though ha! I've gone from a small B cup to a large C, quite a noticeable difference to me anyway. Weird having boobs that actually look a bit more like I imagine boobs should :) I guess I do eat more protein, I've big fan of egg sandwiches during pregnancy :), but my snacking is mostly carbs/fruit. For example, today I've smacked on a bowl of all bran (for the fibre, iron tablets are killing my digestive system), a banana, 2x digestive biscuits, a slice of cheese and I'll probs have a slice of toast before bed. Fairly average day for me. I counted up my calories in my fitness pal out of interest today and I'm up at about 1,950 which seems reasonable.. Guess I'll just keep trying to make healthy choices and not worry too much. Hopefully it might even out a bit..! I've never wanted to worry about my weight in pregnancy, my wellbeing is more important. If I'm hungry, I'm hungry. But at the same time, I'd like to only put on the recommended amount of weight if possible! Especially as I have tried my best to not eat for two and keep healthy so far!

Hey Sonny, if you happen to know your pre-pregnancy calorie needs to maintain your weight, this can help you analyze how much you should be eating and whether you're overdoing it. Another thing to bear in mind is you can probably drop lower your portion sizes and not notice all that much. I've been eating much the same as pre-pregnancy (OK, kind of, as I was dieting when I got pregnant) and my weight gain is right on track. Not hungry much, though I keep snacks around for when I do feel off.

My ideal was always 1,800 pre-pregnancy for maintaining. My personal trainer friend did some kinda calculation for me! But I did a lot of exercise so I was able to eat over that in compensation! You could be on the right lines with portion size, I'm still eating a similar size portion to when I was exercising 5 times a week. These days, I'm lucky if I feel energetic enough for a 30 minute walk a day!

I do get so hungry though and not like hunger I would usually just ignore and wait for the next meal. I go from nothing to feeling I've not eaten for week in two minutes! It's annoying!

I always say if you make healthy food choices 80% of the time & incorporate some activity into your lifestyle then your body will gain or lose weight as it's supposed to!

In my first pregnancy I gained about 55lbs. 20 of those by 19 weeks. This time I was diagnosed early with GD at 7 weeks and have been on a diet plan since then. At 19 weeks I have only gained 3 lbs but it has been a lot of hard work controlling what I eat.

I weighed myself again this morning sans clothes as I did at the start of my pregnancy and I've gone down to just under 71kg, ha! So I've gone from 132lbs to 156lbs. Gain of 24lbs, which makes me feel a bit better! Still higher than I'd like at 26 weeks but ultimately, I know I'm eating healthily overall, and I certainly don't look overweight in anyway. My colleagues at work yesterday told me to stop being rediculous ha! I'll keep a bit more of track and maybe drop that 3rd biscuits on an afternoon but hopefully I can keep to the 35lb max I'd like to gain!

I'm almost exactly like you! 5'6" weighed 132 n now at 26wks (tmrw) I weigh 158. I feel huge... and every time I go to the doctor I get a speech about portion control and that I'm gaining too much weight. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong as my eating habits are pretty much the same as pre-pregnancy, I just can't stop gaining weight :( I too wanted to stay at a 35lb weight gain tops but it looks like I'll be lucky if it's 45! What's worse is that I've gained weight all over n don't really have a cute round belly. Only two people have noticed I'm pregnant... oh well I guess everyone is different. Good luck though! :) I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->