Weird cycles after coming off birth control...anyone else??

MrsBenz

Reaction score
I stopped using bc in Sept. I was on the nuvaring. I know it's normal to have irregular cycles after stopping bc but I was hoping it would become more regular by now!

The lengths of my cycles have been between 30-35 days. I've had so much brown discharge and spotting though that it has been hard to tell what was supposed to be my period.

Last month my cycle was 35 days, with positive opk on cd 24 and 25. I spotted 3 days later and got another positive opk on cd 34 - just 2 days before I got AF. Anyone know why that would be?? I got a regular period on cd 36 (3days of light bleeding, which is typical for me). I realize this means I have a rather short luteal phase too :(

Since last month I have had metallic taste in my mouth every once and while, more brown discharge, and a couple days ago my nipples were so sensitive just rubbing on my shirt was nearly unbearable. I've also had numbness/ tingling in my legs and hands. I am currently on cd 9. What the heck is going on?? I've read it is possible to still be pregnant after having a period but I feel like I'm just grasping at straws. Anyone have anything similar or have any advice for me?? It's getting really frustrating!

Birth control (of any kind) can interfere with TTC for up to a year after stopping. :( Sorry to be a debbie downer, but that's what my doc said - and I've been off BC for 15 months.

How sure are you about your OPK's? False positives do happen, especially if you check the test more than 15 or 20 minutes after taking it; I get a STRONG positive around CD12-14, and then not-quite-positives for a few days after. I'm TTC through a fertility clinic using IUI so I have to have blood tests 7 days after a positive OPK to confirm ovulation - but my first 2 cycles tracking I kept using them till AF so I'd know for sure what it looked like.

As far as the sensitivity goes, I'd guess that's part of your hormones finally re-regulating - sounds like spikes in E to me! That's a good thing as it means your cycle should start to settle down really soon. :) Good luck!

I've heard 3-6 months after bc until your body gets back to somewhat normal...but I haven't heard a year! :( ugh...I really hope it doesn't take that long!

I use the clearblue digital opk so I pretty certain about when I'm O'ing-although I do know that just because I'm getting positive opks it's doesn't mean that I'm actually O'ing...that I just have high levels of the hormone. I'm guessing that the positive opk on cd 34 though was a false positive. It's all so frustrating and confusing!

Thanks for the response :) guess I will just keep on trying and waiting!

I came off BCP in April and then we used condoms until June. I was hoping to get normal 28 day cycles back but it never happened. Mine were all over the place roughly 50-60 days. I was so depressed about it as i never thought we'd conceive. However, we obviously did on our first cycle of TTC and got out BFP out of the blue!! There is hope.

Thank you!! That makes me feel better :) :)

I'm the same way, I stopped taking the bc in Oct 13 and I still have crazy cycles. Some months it's 35-40 sometimes longer. I kinda wish I knew ahead of time how long it would take to get regular so I wouldn't get discouraged.

Last month my cycle was 35 days, with positive opk on cd 24 and 25. I spotted 3 days later and got another positive opk on cd 34 - just 2 days before I got AF. Anyone know why that would be?!

I wish I had an answer but I had the same issue with what seemed to be false positives after already ovulating (in my case, got positive opks and a 'peak' on fertility monitor on cycle day 22 and 23, then more positive opks on day 26 and 27!) It's so frustrating-my cycles babe been 46 and 42 since coming off in September, and this one is equally irregular from the looks of things.

Do you chart temps as well? Mine are like the Rocky Mountains and I wondered if that was to do with coming off the pill as well!

I came off my depot injection in July after having just one shot and my cycles are all over the place! I had what I think was a withdrawal bleed in the July and then I think my cycle started up again the 2nd October and that lasted 46 days! My next one started 17th November and lasted 25 days. I started my recent cycle on 12th December so now I am on cycle day 22/23. If my last cycle was 25 days long I am hoping it was just me regulating. I've got pregnancy symptoms such as vivid dreams, dry retching A LOT (was sick a few times). Sore breasts and really rubbish sleep! I will feel really hungry, like I want to eat EVERYTHING, make a nice sized meal and leave half of it. It ain't like me. I like eating a lot. JustI am taking my symptoms with a pinch of salt because the cycle before last, I was convinced u was pregnant but I wasn't. Just a waiting game Mrsbenz. Women react in different ways to contraception so different for everyone! I hope everyone cycles go back to normal soon!☺😊

I came off microgynon after 9 years on it, I had my usual period, then the next month didn't have one, the month after that I was a little later than expected but then I went back to normal. It can vary for everyone so don't be put off by people's stories, there is definitely hope.

Fingers crossed! Xx

i came off the mini pill dec had few days of spotting a wk later then af came last night hoping it doesnt take to long to regulate forgot how much i hate af not had one in nearly 3yrs mini pill stopped them

I feel your pain. Ive been off of mine for 12 months now. When I went to a Dr after 6 months of ttc, he told me it can easily take up to 12 months for your body to get back to being used to producing and managing your hormones. Some ladies can miss one pill and get preggers, others it takes a while. My husband and I have been ttc for 12 months and my body is still not on a normal cycle. I have only had two periods in the last year. I was normal before I started taking bc, and here we are. :( I hope yours gets back to normal soon! FX!

I been off bcp for over a year now and my cycles are different every month, first couple of months they would range from 24-32 days and I would have brown discharge for couple days in the middle of the cycle, now they range anything from 35 days to 40
My last cycle was 40 days and the moment I'm on day cycle day 30 and no sign so prob end up being another 40 day one :/

Before bcp I used to have the perfect 28 day cycle

I guess i will just have to find some patience and keep waiting for things to settle down. I suppose I should just be happy I'm getting a period each month at somewhat the same time :( it could be worse. It's just so frustrating because your whole life you try so hard NOT to get pregnant that you don't expect it to be so hard when you actually want to be!

Thanks for all your input ladies :)

I guess i will just have to find some patience and keep waiting for things to settle down. I suppose I should just be happy I'm getting a period each month at somewhat the same time :( it could be worse. It's just so frustrating because your whole life you try so hard NOT to get pregnant that you don't expect it to be so hard when you actually want to be!

I am very rubbish with patience so I know how hard it is! I think everyone that desperately wants their rainbow just wants them now. It will happen, even if it takes longer than expected because the precious gift at the end of it will be so worth it!😀

If i were you i'd be quite encouraged by the fact your are getting your period at some point in a sort of regular long cycle sort of way like i did as most of the time it does mean your ovulating. Maybe try the cheap ovulation strip tests your can get on ebay? I used these and they were really good to figure out when you might be ovulating. Saying that, the month we conceived we were on holiday and I forgot the ovulation tests. I has a CBFM and I could definitely NOT recommend it. I have friends who have regular cycles and it didn't really work for them and then it also told me i was ovulating when I was already pregnant and told me I wasn't ovulating when I obviously was. Check CM regularly and really try to get in tune with your body - most of all have sex every other day and hopefully you'll catch your ovulation. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->