What and when is the glucose test?

DivaMommy2Be

Reaction score
Just wondering. Do we get it in the UK?

I wasnt all there at my 24 week and can't remember if she mentioned it. My next appointment will be 28 weeks at the end of October. Do I get it then? I've heard you need to get tested an hour later, in sure she didn't mention that. Also what happens exactly?

In uk we only get tested if we have an identifiable risk ie high bmi close relatives with diabetes I have to have it Cos my mums got type 2 diabetes, last preg mum didn't have it but I had the test because I had a really high bmi, they want u not eat breakfast day of test have blood test stuck around drink some lucozade then after an hr have another blood test, I think it's around 28 weeks but I have forgotten wen to be exact

You will only be offered a glucose tolerence test if you have a high bmi, have had a previous large baby, have had gestational diabetes before or have a family history of diabetes.
If you need one it will be done at 26-28 weeks. You need to fast from 12pm the night before your test, (you are only allowed to drink water after this time) and it will be done early morning. The nurse/midwife will take a sample of blood from you then will give you a very sweet sugary drink which you must drink all of as it is measured. They send you back to the waiting room for an hour then take more blood and again an hour after that. It is not unusual to feel slightly unwell during this time and if you do feel a bit ill make sure you tell one of the staff. I think that your blood glucose level on the last result needs to be under 7.8 for you to pass.

I always go to Mcdonalds after I have had a GTT and treat myself!!!

If you don't hear back from them within a few days then it normally means that everything is ok but when I had Gestational diabetes last time they rung me and I had to go and see the diabetes midwife who will go through how to use your blood glucose monitor and diet.

Good luck. I didn't have it done this time as I was diagnosed at 16 weeks with GD as I had it with my previous baby. Really, really craving a piece of cake or chocolate right now!!!

The other ladies have already summed it up.
The drink I had with dd3 was gross, holding it down in front of a waiting room of pregnant ladies yet to go in was hard! But if you are sick you have to do it again.
It's severely boring so take stuff to keep you busy. When I went last time I was allowed a short walk but not too much as it uses up the glucose they're trying to monitor.

Definitely treat yourself after though, you deserve it.

I was also wondering this so looked in my notes and it says at 28 weeks and if you are at risk! So in my midwife appointment on Friday I am going to ask about it :thumbup:

My OBGYN (and everyone in the area) does it to everyone, regardless of risk/bmi/whatever. It wasn't a big deal, you just drink some sweet soda (mine was orange flavored), sit for an hour then they do a blood test.

if you fail the first blood test but by a small margin they might do the more sensitive one
that involves
blood test 1 - to show fasting levels
drinking sweet drink
2nd time - taking blood after 1 hour
3rd time - taking after 2 hours
4th time - taking after 3 hours

sometimes they put an IV in so they arent constantly sticking you with needles

here in mexico they do it to everyone, but skip the simple test and go straight to the 3 hour one, it sucks! ive already had one as they found protein in my urine but i think theyre going to make me do it again at 28 weeks. bleugh!

if you fail the first blood test but by a small margin they might do the more sensitive one
that involves
blood test 1 - to show fasting levels
drinking sweet drink
2nd time - taking blood after 1 hour
3rd time - taking after 2 hours
4th time - taking after 3 hours

sometimes they put an IV in so they arent constantly sticking you with needles

here in mexico they do it to everyone, but skip the simple test and go straight to the 3 hour one, it sucks! ive already had one as they found protein in my urine but i think theyre going to make me do it again at 28 weeks. bleugh!

That blows - and even that test produces false positives. I don't get the test in Canada, midwife sees no reason to do it.

I'm in Canada too and its standard here in Newfoundland...I'm getting mine done next week at 26 Weeks.

I have to have the stupid test because of my PCOS.
So it's not just High bmi & family history ;)

However I have a bmi of 33 and my grandad is diabetic :haha: there's no escape for me!!

Here in the US Im pretty sure they do it for everyone.. I didn't know you have to get stuck a ton of times though! I have ONE okay vein, they can normally get.. but heck 4 times.. idk about that.. yikes

I always find it weird how some of us have such different tests or types of care depending on where we live.

I always find it weird how some of us have such different tests or types of care depending on where we live.

I think it's weird too... You'd think something like pregnancy would be treated the same, I mean I'm no different than someone in England. But really even in the US the area you live in seems to change what happens when.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->