What are your opinions on bringing a child up vegan?

EternalRose

Reaction score
So as the title says......opinions please?

I have recently just turned vegan. I have been a meat eater for 24 years, so this has been a big change for me. The transition has taken about two months, as I made some mistakes. There is dairy in literally EVERYTHING! :dohh: I am not really an animal rights activist as such, but after spending so much time researching the benefits of having a whole foods, plant based diet, reading the 'China Study' speaking to doctors and healthcare professionals I have decided to become a dietary vegan. The transition has not been easy at all! But, ever since making this change, as well as doing a detox the pounds have literally dropped off!

Now, before I started enlightening myself on this sort of lifestyle, I had the opinion that it should be up to the child to decide, and veggie or vegan parents should not force their attitudes on there child as it is really unfair. However, now that I have found out some of the things I have, I realise this may be quite a narrowminded view, or maybe not?

I am hoping to God this doesnt turn into an arguement, as I really would like to know other people's views. My fiance is a meat eater e.t.c, but thinks that we should bring up Abigail Vegan since I have told him all about my research. He is very supportive, but since I had that old 'view' before I am wondering whether I am doing the right thing, even though the evidence suggests that it is?

What do you all think?

EternalRose

I say, as long as she has a perfectly balanced diet then i don't see the issue and as long as when she is old enough, if she wants to try meat/dairy products she is given the change, then again i don't see the issue

Im not sure....Im a meat eater!

I guess there is nothing wrong with bringng them up as vegan/veggie, but giving the option to try the meats other foods if they desire. Then when old enough explain why you chose the diet you have.

I guess with you OH being a meat eater, you Lo will come in contact with foods you dont eat and be curious anyway.

Either way, you can bring her up as vegan, and still let her chose her way way she is older...she's not forced to live like that forever :D

Speaking with a child who has had long difficulties with weaning, I wouldnt, I'd rather my child have a huge range of foods because i can reeeeally see her being picky, like me.

But its absolutley a personal thing and you've done so much research babe. :)

I would say as long as she is gaining weight, receiving all her vits and minerals then go for it.

V xxxx

I personally think that dairy is an extremely important part of a young child's diet. You would have to be very careful to ensure that she was getting all the minerals and vitamins she needs.

I say, as long as she has a perfectly balanced diet then i don't see the issue and as long as when she is old enough, if she wants to try meat/dairy products she is given the change, then again i don't see the issue

Yeah, I said to my fiance if she wanted to try meat, dairy e.t.c I would let her. I would never refuse her anything but I just wouldnt buy it for the house if you know what I mean.

My friend is a vegetarian (so not as strict on food stuffs) and she raised her son to be vegetarian as well. He's 11 and aside from being skinny, although I think that's just him... not his diet tbh) he's perfectly healthy.

I tease her in that his big rebellion is going to be coming home with a burger and threatening to eat it. :haha:

I think it's completely up to Mummy :)
If you'd like to raise her as a vegan, go for it!

I dont know tbh hun, not really thought about it, i think id feed her whatever then when she's old enough to decide she can go with whatever she wants

My partner is very interested in becoming a veggie, vegan and experimenting with the raw foodist diet. Since I have been on my detox, and transitioned my partner has done the same and lost 2 stone and felt so much healthier. So, he now realises how important the benefits are. As a result of my research, my partner is now very against dairy products too.

sorry just curious but milk and dairy is really important in toddlers diets how do vegans replace this?

Well the official line I believe is that a veggie diet is fine for a young child but a vegan diet is not. Maybe you could ask to speak to a dietician.
If a diet is providing all the nutrients a child needs, then I couldn't care less which foods the nutrients come from, iykwim. But I don't agree with a parent denying a child necessary nutrients whatever the reason may be.

I would think it's fine in the early stages but when she is old enough to decide she wants to, if it happens, then she's not denied the oppertunity. I don't see a problem with it as long as Abigail's healthy with whatever she is given xx

sorry just curious but milk and dairy is really important in toddlers diets how do vegans replace this?

Its a myth that calcium can only come from cows milk. Saying that there is soy milk, rice milk, almond milk alternatives. If you ensure that it is B12 fortified, (there is an ongoing debate about this supplement) then it should be OK. Rice milk does have less protein then Soy Milk though. Soy milk seems to be the better option as it is has no cholesteral and less fat but it is very comparable to cows milk. Also, eating plenty of green leafy vegetables will ensure that the calcium need is met. From what I have read, having a diet high in animal protein does cause calcium losses anyway.

ETA: https://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.htm

Well the official line I believe is that a veggie diet is fine for a young child but a vegan diet is not. Maybe you could ask to speak to a dietician.
If a diet is providing all the nutrients a child needs, then I couldn't care less which foods the nutrients come from, iykwim. But I don't agree with a parent denying a child necessary nutrients whatever the reason may be.

What nutrients will I be denying my daughter if I give her a plant based diet? I have spoken to a dietician as well.

I did for the first 6 weeks but unfortunately I had to stop due to medical reasons so she will be on formula for still some time yet. I just want people to know I have no intention of denying my daughter any nutrients. I just plan to *swap* products for other products if you know what I mean.

well if it was me i'd wait and let my LO decide for himself when hes older

but as long as your daughters getting everything she needs then its your choice

the food standards people dont recomend a vegan diet for babies though as they say the 'replacements' aren't as good as the primary sources

if you look at the make up of the human body, we aren't actually 'built' to be meat eaters

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->