What are your opinions on bringing a child up vegan?

I havn't really thought about it either. Like others had said I would just give her vegan food when she is very small. But if she ever expresses interest in meat and asks for some then I wouldn't stop her as thats her choice and I don't think as parents we can force all are beliefs on children etc when they are at an age to decided. Good luck hun
xx

the food standards people dont recomend a vegan diet for babies though as they say the 'replacements' aren't as good as the primary sources

Thanks, I am going to look into that. I will say though, I wouldnt trust the FDA as far as you could throw them.

if you look at the make up of the human body, we aren't actually 'built' to be meat eaters

Funny you said that because I was on this vegan forum and someone said something like this that made me think. He said, that if we were meant to eat meat why do we need to cook it. We are the only species that need to have our meat cooked, or we get ill.

Meat-eaters: have claws
Herbivores: no claws
Humans: no claws

Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue
Herbivores: perspire through skin pores
Humans: perspire through skin pores

Meat-eaters: have sharp front teeth for tearing, with no flat molar teeth for grinding
Herbivores: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding
Humans: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly
Herbivores: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.
Humans: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat
Herbivores: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater
Humans: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Meat-eaters: salivary glands in mouth not needed to pre-digest grains and fruits.
Herbivores: well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits
Humans: well-developed salivary glands, which are necessary to pre-digest, grains and fruits

Meat-eaters: have acid saliva with no enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains
Herbivores: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains
Humans: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Just a quick question hun. Will you ever let her eat meat if she asks?
xx

Hey, I was vegan until about half way through my pregnancy. I was intending on bringing up Isaac vegan too, but when I was pregnant I ended up reverting back to being just vegetarian (partly to do with the naggy midwife and partly to do with the epic cheese cravings). So now I'm still just vegetarian (didn't go back to veganism because I find being vegetarian cheaper and easier) and so is Isaac.

I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing up a child vegan, as long as they're getting all the vitamins and nutrients and stuff they need. I also wouldn't force them into it as they get older as I think it should be a personal choice from whenever they're old enough to understand. Like, even though I'm bringing up Isaac vegetarian, when he's old enough to know exactly where meat comes from, I'm not going to stop him from trying meat if he really wants to.

So yeah, go for it! =]

Just a quick question hun. Will you ever let her eat meat if she asks?
xx

Yeah definately, but I am hoping that by educating her about the reasons why we dont eat meat will ensure that she never asks :) Like I said, I am not really an animal rights activist. Its just the evidence about eating meat, and dairy is just too much to ignore. Really reccomend reading the 'China Study' hun especially if your going into nursing.

I wouldn't judge anyone who does bring up their children veggie or vegan but i wouldn't bring my children up, i would let them decide when they are older. I know you can still get all the nutritional values of a meat eater as long as you eat the right food etc but i don't think i would feel comfortable with it IYKWIM? ANd that's not because i eat meat because i used to be vegetarian but i don't like the foods you're supposed to eat so ended up ill!

ooooh *runs off to google*

I will get back to you when I have read it :thumbup:
xx

ooooh *runs off to google*

I will get back to you when I have read it :thumbup:
xx

You can get it off amazon, take your time with it though. It can get very scientific, but thats why I like it. It was not written by an animal rights activist, so there is no agenda, but by two scientists. It is illustrated with diagrams, and graphs. All the evidence is completely factual.

We are meat eaters... although i'd like to think I'm a responsible meat eater, only buying organic British meats. However, Harry is vegetarian... mainly because it's just happened that way. He doesn't like meat. I do offer it occasionally, but he always refuses it. Maybe he'll eat it when he's older, I don't know.

The main thing is that the child is getting all the vitamins and nutrients they require. There are meat-eating children who are incredibly unhealthy... eating meat doesn't equal a healthy upbringing.

personally i would not do it since i believe while his young he should try everything i can let him try and that meat is good for the body idk everything is good for you food wise aslong as you have a balenced diet..

Plus id hate to send him to school when all his mates are eating pizza/fish fingers ect and all he can eat is the veggies and fruit since most schools i no about dont really have a very good veggie/vegan menu.

And about the whole humans are not ment to eat meat ect, I remember from a while back at school we was told that we where ment to eat meat and something about the molers/wisdon teeth being there for that exact reason.. Plus cavemen started to cook the meat who says that over the 100's of years of meat being cooked that now its just our bodys are no longer used to it?

personally i would not do it since i believe while his young he should try everything i can let him try and that meat is good for the body idk everything is good for you food wise aslong as you have a balenced diet..

Plus id hate to send him to school when all his mates are eating pizza/fish fingers ect and all he can eat is the veggies and fruit since most schools i no about dont really have a very good veggie/vegan menu.

And about the whole humans are not ment to eat meat ect, I remember from a while back at school we was told that we where ment to eat meat and something about the molers/wisdon teeth being there for that exact reason.. Plus cavemen started to cook the meat who says that over the 100's of years of meat being cooked that now its just our bodys are no longer used to it?

I wouldnt want my daughter to eat pizza at school anyway. As a treat maybe, but pizza at school does not sound very healthy at all.

i think as long you you swap products with products that are suitable (which you said you will) and you dont deny the choice to try meat then go ahead x

Having read the information on it, I will defianlty be buying. It sounds very interesting and maybe a move forward in medical thinking

Having said that I do love my meat so much :rofl:

I wouldnt want my daughter to eat pizza at school anyway. As a treat maybe, but pizza at school does not sound very healthy at all.

its like a once a month treat at school from what ive heard lol all cooked in the school so all nice freash stuff from what i hear from the kids at the school

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->