What are your opinions on bringing a child up vegan?

Having read the information on it, I will defianlty be buying. It sounds very interesting and maybe a move forward in medical thinking

Having said that I do love my meat so much :rofl:

Me too hun, but I know that after reading that book I decided against it from now onwards. I also reccomend 'Skinny Bitch' its nowhere near as well written but the message is still the same and I have wondered about the agenda, but they have included all their sources and I have checked them out.

Thanks hun

Due to start uni next month. Is there any goodbooks that will help me through my course. It's childrens nursing
x

Thanks hun

Due to start uni next month. Is there any goodbooks that will help me through my course. It's childrens nursing
x

Dear God woman, I will be here all day if I list them all!! :winkwink:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Common-Foundation-Studies-Nursing-Kenworthy/dp/0443070342

I used this one so much in my first year..

Also,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Textbook-C...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282326893&sr=1-1

^^^^ They will have that one in the nurses library though as it is EXPENSIVE!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drug-Calcu...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282326653&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anatomy-Ph...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282326678&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nurses-Sur...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282326753&sr=1-2

I dont really need the Nurses Survival guide or the Anatomy & Physiology one so I can sell them to you half price if you like. They are in excellent condition xx

Digressing Much....:rofl:

Personally I wouldn't bring a child up vegan. Only because I would want them to have a wide range of foods to choose from so I know they are getting everything they need (I know vegetarians often have bowel problems etc because of their non meat diet) I think I would let them eat all varieties of food until they are old enough to decide whether they want to follow your diet or not. I would have killed my mother if she had made me eat nothing but veg and I'd missed out on ice creams and steaks :haha:

i'd rather wait until she can decide for
herself to be honest

but each to their own :thumbup:

If you are living in a vegan/ veggie household then I don't know why you wouldn't tbh. We all have beliefs that we live with and while our children live with us they are living with these beliefs too- don't think this is any different. I would just look carefully into dairy issues to make sure LO gets all they need.

I personally don't like the idea until the child is old enough to make a choice themselves, but it's your baby you do what's best for your family. Have you thought about baby Led Weaning instead as you offer them a range of food, and they instinctively eat what there body needs?.

I'm wary of Soya products myself as it can affect the working of the Thyroid gland and i would hate my LO to have the same problems as me.

Wow all that reading. I will get back to you on those books hun. Thank you :D
xx

I don't see the problem with it as long she would be allowed to satisfy her curiousity when she's older if she wants to.

I personally don't like the idea until the child is old enough to make a choice themselves, but it's your baby you do what's best for your family. Have you thought about baby Led Weaning instead as you offer them a range of food, and they instinctively eat what there body needs?.

I'm wary of Soya products myself as it can affect the working of the Thyroid gland and i would hate my LO to have the same problems as me.

I didnt know about the controversy surrounding Thyroid and Soy so thanks for bringing this up, I am going to check that out. That still leaves other options open though.

I dont really like the idea of BLW to be honest, I just want to make up decent healthy meals and give them to her. According to Karmel, giving Abigail things that I necessarily wouldnt eat is a must but that doesnt mean I will give her meat and dairy. We really dont need as much protein as we are indoctrinated to think and apart from that, there are 6000 other foods I can choose from to ensure that me and Abigail get the nutrients we need.

I will say though, since I started this thread I am starting to sway against the idea of 'letting children decide' until they are older to make there own decisions. I once shared that view, but I can now see that everyday we make decisions for our children, that may be completely different to how another parent raises their child. With that said, I am not that closed minded that I wouldnt let Abigail make decisions for herself surrounding her diet as she gets older. But evidence, is evidence. Just because the food is out there readily available it doesnt mean its good for us or the people allowing that food to be on those shelves have our best interests at heart. Look at smoking for example, it kills so many people and the government have initiatives for people to stop smoking. Heart-strings adverts with children talking about how they will feel if they lose their parents to cancer. Yet, they still dont take the cigarettes off the shelves. Why? Money.

How many people get the correct daily nutrients that are needed even on a meat/dairy diet? Eating meat and dairy is the norm, but being overweight is slowly becoming the norm too. The majority of weight issues people have all come down to this sort of diet. I didnt want to hear it at first, but it really is the truth and the evidence is overwhelming.

I have looked into raw foodism, because before I didnt know that once you cook food you ruin it .Thats not to say there isnt heat in raw cooking, its just not above a certain temperature. A lot of the enzymes and nutritional content is lost through cooking. Yet, we are indoctrinated to think that having a hot meal is good for us and of course we like it that way. I have just kept an open mind, no one likes change as it threatens everything we once felt comfortable with.

I will get off my soap box now...:haha: I just needed to get that out! :dohh:

You're actually starting to sway me! :)

Oh Gawd, am I? :lol: I tell you what, I loved my chicken, cheese the lot! And after I gave birth I was anemic, so I was eating steak like a mother ( under midwives instructions :dohh:) But I was so so overweight. Since going on my detox, and turning vegan a couple months back, I have lost 5 & 1/2 stone since Abigail was born. My detox is in the health section on this forum, I have a journal but its not for the faint hearted though! :haha: When I am off my detox, I make raw vegan strawberry cheesecake with cream, I make home made veggie samosas, with stirfry, I eat a lot of fruit desserts and I still continue to lose weight. (I was a very big girl at the end of my pregnancy but I really was eating the wrong sorts of food) You do not need to count calories, on a wholesome plant based diet. And if your on a raw vegan diet, you will STRUGGLE to keep weight on whilst eating 'cheesecake' & 'ice-cream'. I am going to buy an excalibur dehydrator so I can start making home made nachos and 'cheese!' Nom, Nom :lol: I am on my detox now, and I have just made myself bloody hungry :dohh:

until she is old enough to make her own mind up, I think its fine to feed her as a vegan (as long as she's getting everything she needs which I am sure she is)

wait for the rebellious teen years tho, she will be wanting Big Macs left right and centre ;)

I've never understood the argument that you should feed meat until they're old enough to decide otherwise. Surely it goes both ways - i.e. don't feed them meat until they're able to decide otherwise.

I didnt know about the controversy surrounding Thyroid and Soy so thanks for bringing this up, I am going to check that out. That still leaves other options open though.

I dont really like the idea of BLW to be honest, I just want to make up decent healthy meals and give them to her. According to Karmel, giving Abigail things that I necessarily wouldnt eat is a must but that doesnt mean I will give her meat and dairy. We really dont need as much protein as we are indoctrinated to think and apart from that, there are 6000 other foods I can choose from to ensure that me and Abigail get the nutrients we need.

I will say though, since I started this thread I am starting to sway against the idea of 'letting children decide' until they are older to make there own decisions. I once shared that view, but I can now see that everyday we make decisions for our children, that may be completely different to how another parent raises their child. With that said, I am not that closed minded that I wouldnt let Abigail make decisions for herself surrounding her diet as she gets older. But evidence, is evidence. Just because the food is out there readily available it doesnt mean its good for us or the people allowing that food to be on those shelves have our best interests at heart. Look at smoking for example, it kills so many people and the government have initiatives for people to stop smoking. Heart-strings adverts with children talking about how they will feel if they lose their parents to cancer. Yet, they still dont take the cigarettes off the shelves. Why? Money.

How many people get the correct daily nutrients that are needed even on a meat/dairy diet? Eating meat and dairy is the norm, but being overweight is slowly becoming the norm too. The majority of weight issues people have all come down to this sort of diet. I didnt want to hear it at first, but it really is the truth and the evidence is overwhelming.

I have looked into raw foodism, because before I didnt know that once you cook food you ruin it .Thats not to say there isnt heat in raw cooking, its just not above a certain temperature. A lot of the enzymes and nutritional content is lost through cooking. Yet, we are indoctrinated to think that having a hot meal is good for us and of course we like it that way. I have just kept an open mind, no one likes change as it threatens everything we once felt comfortable with.

I will get off my soap box now...:haha: I just needed to get that out! :dohh:

I think you have done enough homework and certainly know what your talking about:thumbup: go for it, your not entering into it half heatedly that's the important bit.

I wouldn't call it controversy as such regarding soya/Thyroid, i did a lot of research into Thyroid issues when i was diagnosed with a underactive thyroid. My Step Mother is into everything natural and she thought i could control my problem with diet (couldn't) instead of thyroxine, so off to Google i go and soya products came up time and time again as being a problem for the thyroid gland. How much you have to consume i really don't know, it just scares me for LO does that make sense?.

Interestingly my sister was a vegetarian and brought up my niece (who's 21) on soya/Quorn, both of them have really big issues with the Thyroid now, much bigger problems than me. It could be genetics, it could be what they ate we will never know:nope:

Good luck with whatever you decide:thumbup:

^^^^ Thank you, I am definately going to look into that. I dont think I have thryoid problems in my family, but my fiance was adopted so we dont have a clue about his genetic family history on his side. Its worthwhile being cautious about it though, thanks for your input hun. x

but meat and dairy doesn't make people overweight? huge quantities may do but in proportion its perfectly healthy?

I think children need a varied diet. Whether the protein and iron comes from a steak or tofu and spinach doesn't really matter to me :shrug:

I see nothing wrong with it as long as the child is getting all the nutrition they need AND they get the choice when they're older to make their decision on what they want to eat based on all the facts.

I am a meat eater but only eat free range/organic meat. If my child told me that he/she wanted to be vegan I would fully support him/her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->