What BC do you reccomend while BF?

Phantom710

Momx1, Surrogate #2
Reaction score
I already have a really low supply, so I'm trying not to make it any worse. Am hoping to get on a prescription at my 6 week check. I'm also supposed to have decided on a birth control.

I do need a hormonal BC because I have really crazy periods/cramps/etc. if not.

I was on Ortho TriCyclen Lo pre-preg and it worked awesome. I got pregnant just 3mos after starting it.

Important To Me:
*ability to resume fertility soon after removal
*doesn't alter breastfeeding
*no rediculous amounts of side effects.

Please vote which you recommend and also why. Or why not to use a particular one.

Thanks!

:flower:

I would be careful with pills/shots in general. The mini pill MUST be takenin at the same time EVERYDAY (I believe within an hour or two to be effective). I've also heard with ANY hormone related BC, there is a chance of it effecting your supply. But, I believe the mini pill is the most recommended, as it contains no estrogen... which other BC do. You may be surprised that after having a child, your periods (when you do get them back) may be completely different then before you were pregnant. I had horrible cramps before I had my DS... after he was born, I had no cramps what so ever. There's an interesting article on Kellymom.com about fertility and BF. You may find you don't get your period back while you BF. HTH :flower:

I had the injection when LO was 8 weeks and it's made me sooooo emotional. I cry at anything and I wasn't this bad until about 5 weeks after I had it. LO is 17 weeks now.

I am convinced it has affected my supply, I used to be able to express loads, so much do I thought about donating but now I'm not convinced my LO is getting enough (but that's another thread!).

And I have gained 3kg but I think that's because I have felt like I am due on for about 4 weeks now and can't stop eating!

Also I had a 10 day period not long after I had it.

I am not having it again. I want to go back the combined pill I used up take so we are just going to use condoms until I stop breast feeding.

Not everyone will have the same reaction but my experience has not been good!

Condoms work great for me - dont want any more darn hormones lol!!

I had a IUD and loved it and I breastfeed for 13 months with it.

condoms here too im afraid, had the injection and the mini pill, both of which left me crap, and constant bleeding

I'm considering getting a diaphragm, just haven't got round to it yet. Don't want to pollute the water supplies with oestrogen, and I don't deal well with hormones!

I'm considering getting a diaphragm, just haven't got round to it yet. Don't want to pollute the water supplies with oestrogen, and I don't deal well with hormones!

Ditto. Do you think diaphragms are regarded as old fashioned by GP's? I need to look into it more. Im nearly 28 and I have never taken hormonal bc!

Ditto. Do you think diaphragms are regarded as old fashioned by GP's? I need to look into it more. Im nearly 28 and I have never taken hormonal bc!

I don't know about old fashioned, but they are a bit unusual to most people. I think having to firk around up there weirds people out (although I'm a mooncup user, nothing phases me!) I've threatened to book to see the nurse for a fitting ooodles of times, just haven't ever done it. Really should-condoms are expensive!!

I didnt know what you meant by moon cup but just looked it up! So do you mind me asking if it leaks? Sounds interesting! :thumbup:

I didnt know what you meant by moon cup but just looked it up! So do you mind me asking if it leaks? Sounds interesting! :thumbup:

I love mine! Been using it for 6 years (obviously with a pregnancy and BFing period gap) and I wouldn't use anything else! There are a couple of threads about them around the site, which I usually pop up on :) I'd really recommend anyone give them a go for a few months and see how you go. It takes a couple of months to master, but it's worth it! :)

I've found it really doesn't leak much-certainly no more than tampons! You just have to get the seal right, and you're away.

I'm another one using condoms here - I don't want to go on anything hormonal whilst I'm BF. I don't want to worry about low supply cause of the hormones.

I will be going straight back on the patch though once LO weans. :thumbup:

Thanks ladies :) It's a lot to think about isn't it, and I only have a few days to decide :(

Well my 6 week appointment is on Tuesday and doc wants me to have an idea about what I'd like to go on. DH prefers to use two forms. BC and Condoms.

Well my 6 week appointment is on Tuesday and doc wants me to have an idea about what I'd like to go on. DH prefers to use two forms. BC and Condoms.

Your doctor can want you to have an idea but whether you do or not is a different matter all together!

You don't have to rush and choose - take your time. You can always use condoms for the time being :thumbup:

So your DH doesn't want anymore babies just yet then! :haha:

haha no, we've had a bit of a rough go with this one, we're fairly sure he has Reflux. he screams, pukes, eats. Repeat. :(

And apparently I am super fertile so.. we're taking no chances!! haha

I'm really terrified of hormonal methods of BC after I was on two different types of pill when younger and both made me bleed for months on end and develop a cervical erosion/ectropion which still flares up to this day, I do have a slight hormone imbalance though a scan of my ovaries was clear and hormonal BC just cocks everything up further. Thankfully though with my wacky hormones, most of the time I'd consider myself to be pretty 'sub-fertile' anyway, although my first three are quite close in age, I was TTC with my ex for three years and nada and also was TTC for in total almost three years before this LO, atm I wish my period would come back properly (I've had a couple of very short, light periods not like my usual at all and only 2 weeks apart) and I wouldn't mind if I got pregnant now because LO will be closer to 2 by the time the new baby is born and I am not getting any younger :D xx

I just got the mirena put in about 6 weeks ago (just had my follow up appt) and its been great. I've had some spotting since I got it and now it seems my cycle is a little messed up because I've had a 2 week period with a 1 week break. I'm willing to ride this out because I could go without periods after a while with it. Also my midwife told me that she knows a woman who must have conceived the night after she had it removed. I used to be on ortho-tricyclen for many years prior to this LO and I'm very sensitive to changes in BC pill hormones. The small amount of hormones in the mirena haven't affected me at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->