What Books do you read again and again?

TattiesMum

Reaction score
Maybe I'm a bit unusual but I hate getting rid of books once I've read them, so I have literally hundreds (5 floor to ceiling bookcases double stacked and boxes in the loft :blush: ) and I often do re-visit them at some point or another ....

But I also have a handful of old favourites - books that I know back to front because I've read them so many times that the pages are coming loose. I kind of think of them as the mental equivalent of comfort food :haha: They are an eclectic mix LOL ....

Wuthering Heights
The Womens Room
Tess of the D'urbervilles
Jilly Cooper's Riders series :blush:
Anne McCaffrey's Pern series

Old, Tatty, as comfy as a pair of old slippers and as comforting as a snuggly blanket and a cuddle at times of stress :cloud9: .... what are your old favourites?

I think I would feel very comfortable in your house! :)
My walls are covered in bookshelves, as well!

Comfort reads:
Hands down, number one: the Complete Works of Jane Austen. I can open that battered old book to any page and fall right into the story, every time.
Seasonally, I like re-reading Tolkien late November/early December, but not every year.
For quick distraction and relaxation, Harry Potter is great.

Lots more - I have to think! :)

Oh goodness - I forgot about Pride and Prejudice :dohh: ... The rest of the Jane Austin's I can take or leave but P&P is another comfort read :thumbup:

It's funny how you associate Tolkien with Autumn/Winter ... I don't tend to have a seasonal cycle but I can kind of judge my mental state by which of my comfort reads I'm drawn to - if I'm getting lost in Pern then I need to watch my depression ... it's a sign that I'm withdrawing from the real world if that makes sense.

Sounds like I'd be comfy in your house too :happydance: ... I always think that a house without books looks bare lol

I would love your house too! Ours is full of books as well.

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
The Harry Potter series
The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
The Diary of Anne Frank
Roots - Alex Haley
The Godfather - Mario Puzo

There are more, but in my sleep-deprived baby haze I can't recall them :dohh: :haha:

Harry potter series
Adrian mole series
A thousand splendid suns
The shopaholic books (guilty pleasure)
Pride and prejudice
Jodi picoult

Harry potter
Jodi picoult
Adele parks

Harry Potters, mine are so worn its unbelievable.

Any James Herbert, I love re-reading them :)

Any Jodi Picoult (She's my favorite author.)
Fried Green Tomatoes
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
To Kill A Mockingbird
And quite a few of the classics; it all depends on my mood.

Pretty much all my books I re read but my comfy books are Terry Pratchett Discworld books, Pride and Prejudice and Memoirs of a Geisha

anything by Kelley Armstrong
Karen Rose
Jodi Picoult
or Mary Burton

though i am curently re reading the harry potters x

I'm bad for romance novels, especially Nora Roberts and Kathleen Woodiwiss.

The catcher in the rye
the curious incident of the dog in the night time
animal farm
bridget jones (guilty pleasure!)
Girl, interrupted

Im sure theres more but i cant think.. Agree with a house that has no books looks bare, i cant see nyself ever owning a kindle. It feels like it has no soul. Love my books!

I love that I'm not weird for not wanting a kindle! DH offered to buy me one, but I said there is something cold about it and abnormal.

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
Camberwell Beauty by Jenny Eclair
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
I can read these again and again.

I don't like Kindles either!

I used to think like that until I got a kindle. I have books too but a kindle is easier to read whilst nursing. Xxx

I love that I'm not weird for not wanting a kindle! DH offered to buy me one, but I said there is something cold about it and abnormal.

I'm another one who doesn't want a kindle ... my DH keeps offering to buy me one (I think he's hoping it will reduce the number of books in the house - fat chance! :winkwink::haha: ) but I just can't imagine not holding an actual book :shrug:

I can see that they might be useful ... I like the idea of being able to buy a book online and instantly being able to start reading it, rather than waiting for it to be delivered, and certainly for holidays and situations where reading one handed is needed then they have an advantage, but I love the feel and smell of books - the sheer presence of them :cloud9:

I'm another one who doesn't want a kindle ... my DH keeps offering to buy me one (I think he's hoping it will reduce the number of books in the house - fat chance! :winkwink::haha: ) but I just can't imagine not holding an actual book :shrug:

I can see that they might be useful ... I like the idea of being able to buy a book online and instantly being able to start reading it, rather than waiting for it to be delivered, and certainly for holidays and situations where reading one handed is needed then they have an advantage, but I love the feel and smell of books - the sheer presence of them :cloud9:

LOL ladies after my own heart! I have thousands of books and I re read them too. I read Life expectancy Dean Koontz every couple of months I love most of his books along with Tess Gerrintson, Jodi Picult, Lisa gardner karin slaughter Anne rice too I will read anything really!:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->