What brand dog food do you use?

We use James Wellbeloved kibble for Holly. She has it dry but drinks loads of water!!!

When she was at dog training the trainer asked if she was on Royal Canine as apparently that has a tendency to make dogs hyper.

Are you allowed to give them bones? I"m sure i was told that you are not allowed to anymore. Also i you can give them bones what bones can they have (i.e. i have a joint of lamb in the slow cooker so can she have some of that and what size do the bones have to be?)

This is really interesting! We have two dogs (same breed), one who is four years old and one puppy who is almost 17 weeks - he's so calm and chilled, and has always been quite good since he was tiny, and she is fricking mental! He's on James Wellbeloved and has been since we switched him when we got him, she's on Royal Canin as that's what the breeder started her on and we have just stuck with it. Obviously all dogs have different personalities but I was thinking only a couple of days ago about changing her food to see if it made any difference.

Now I think we definitely will!

We use Royal Canine and our dog isn't hyper. In fact he's pretty lazy :/

I think it all depends on the dog really.

Twix has a variety of food and she is fine.

Mine are currantly on Skinners Duck and Rice. As it's a working dog food you don't pay VAT. But I am looking at changing them to Arden Grange.

I feed my girls on raw. I researched it for a couple of years on and off but finally took the plunge 5 months ago and we haven't looked back. I have tried just about every brand of food on the market over the years with very mixed results. I just got to the point where I was fed up of spending money on what is considered to be good dog foods (burns, orijen, arden grange) only to have them turn their noses up after a few weeks.

I decided to follow a more prey model diet rather than BARF which includes fruit and veg as well as other supplements. My girls get a balanced diet of various types of meat (chicken, beef, duck, rabbit, lamb and some pork). We feed a ratio of 80% muscle, 10% raw bone, 5% liver and 5% other offal. This can be balanced over the course of a month so you don't have to worry about balancing every meal.

I waste nothing now. I have a 2.5yr old Lab who believe it or not was a very fussy eater who now can't wait for meal times. I also have a 6 month old Welsh Springer and I have had her on raw since she was 9 weeks old. They are in amazing health, beautiful coats and pearly white teeth. I also find that they are a lot less hyper. I believe this is down to them having to use a bit of effort for their food, especially if they have a whole rabbit or a rack of lamb ribs.

It's not for everyone and I certainly wouldn't recommend that anyone goes in to it without researching and ensuring they can give the correct balance of nutrients as it really isn't as easy as chucking them a chicken leg and letting them get on with it. BUT the rewards far outweigh the little bit of extra effort required to feed them a raw diet.

If anyone is interested in finding out more about this way of feeding I can recommend Work Wonders by Tom Lonsdale and Give Your Dog a Bone by Ian Billinghurst.

To those of you that feed Bakers please stop, it has about as much nutritional value as a packet of smarties and contains a number of colours and preservatives known to cause cancer. There are a number of good quality commercial dog foods out there that do not cost very much more, such as Arden Grange, that are so much better.

Sorry for the essay if you got this far, I'm a bit passionate about this subject :blush: Can you tell :haha:

Mines on wainwrights kibble, mixed in with a tin of cesar.

Looked into the raw diet a while back, its really good for money and of course excellent for your dog but jessies really fussy and didnt even take to the first change over step.. oh well!

Hill's Science Plan.

I wouldnt touch the cheaper food for my dogs- full of colouring's!

I've heard some bad things about science plan as I was going to put Twix on it
Suppose every dog is different

I really like this one but they only have kibble mixed in with raw anyway and this seems to work. Its the ones like bakers that should be banned. Ick.

Twix used to have bakers :haha: I give her a mix of foods now which she seems to agree with.

I buy the home brand from Cosco. It is surprisingly good quality for the price (real meat, not too much filler). I would love to go with something higher quality, but with two large dogs, that would get too expensive.
Eventually I'd like to feed them raw food. But for now I don't have a freezer big enough to store meat.

We use whatever is on the shelves, regularly Butchers. But if there's some nice organs at the market, we prefer to get her a mixture of those with a couple of very large pieces of meat. Sometimes eggs as well, as it helps give her a nice shiny coat.

Ours have Asda dog meal biscuits and Chappie mixed with water to soften the biscuits (spoilt!) One of our dogs has some kind of allergy and this is all that he can have without coming out on hives!

I use Science Diet. Tried Nature's Choice and Wellness brands for a time but all they did was make our dogs have the runs. But on Science Diet have no issues at all.

Asda hero complete dry and has a pedigree tin once a day (morning!) haha

I use Natural Balance Potato and Duck/ he my Maltese can't have snacks or table food cause he gets very sick and goes to the bathroom a lot. He has been on Natural Balance for 5 years and it is the only food that is gentle for his stomach. :flower:

When I was preparing to bring home my siberian husky puppy, I did a ton of research on dog foods, from what I've read I ended up choosing between Taste of the Wild and Orijen. Both are grainfree which was important to me as grains are not a natural part of a canine diet. Taste of the Wild is a good food, a little less expensive, but my pup seemed to need to eat more of it to get her nutrients, where as Orijen seemed to sustain her at a healthy weight and energy level with less food in each serving. We used Orijen for the first year and tried Taste of the Wild again recently as she was no longer eating puppy food and we thought we'd give it one more try as she liked the food when she was younger. We noticed after about 2-3 months she began begging for food more and losing weight slowly, so we fed her more... It seems Orijen saves us money in the long run as she stays at a healthy weight, doesnt beg for food while being fed two servings of 1 cup, but with Taste of the Wild she eats two servings of 2 cups and struggles to keep on weight.. :shrug: Orjien is just a wonderful food and although its expensive and hard to find, imo its just one step down from raw feeding.

^^We've been feeding our Border Collie Orijen for the past week and a bit & he loves it so far and already his coat seems to feel in better condition, softer. We will have to continue ordering it online as nowhere around us sell it!! I haven't read a bad review about it & I'm really pleased with it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->