• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What can I expect?

ShelbyLC

Twin girls & baby boy!
Reaction score
Well, after dealing with PTL since 18 weeks, it looks like our time is finally here at 28 weeks. I am currently in the hospital, dilated to 2.5cm and contracting semi-regularly. (Last night I was contracting every 1-2 minutes but we managed to slow them down.) It's just a matter of time before the medication options run out and I give birth to our girls. When I asked my doctor her opinion on when they would arrive, she said she wouldn't be surprised if they were here by Friday or Saturday.

At 22 weeks, we recieved a set of steroid shots, and started our second round last night. The current goal is to keep me pregnant until I get the second shot tonight. I don't plan on giving birth in the next 8 hours, but you never know. Anyway, sorry, I know this has gotten long and I haven't even gotten to my real question!

I'm wondering what I can expect with 28w preemies. I know they have a better chance than 28 weekers without the steroid shots, and honestly those steroids are the only thing keeping me sane. I'm not so much looking for "When will they come home?" as I know the general rule is around their due date. I'm looking more along the lines of what to expect during the first few days and what are common 28 weeker problems?

Thank you for reading and I would really appreciate any advice you have to offer. :flower:

Have the hospital not offered someone for you to speak to? I know when my waters went prematurely (a lot later than you though - I was 33 weeks) they got one of the doctors to pop down to the labour ward from NICU to talk me through the likely state of, treatment and prognosis for 33/34 weekers, which helped a lot.

Otherwise - try the Bliss message boards if this board's a bit quiet tonight (no doubt one of the mums of the earlier preemies on here will be along shortly anyway though) - although the charity's UK based - they really did keep me sane among the obsessive Googling I did (which is NEVER a great idea). Mumsnet also has a premature birth board on there - might be another place to ask, but again it seems a quieter one.

I did actually get to speak with a NICU doctor this afternoon. :thumbup: He definitely answered a ton of my questions but I somehow feel like I already knew most of the answers. Maybe what I'm looking for is more along the lines of "Mom Advice."

But, thank you about the Bliss message boards. I'll look into them. :flower:

Hi Shelby. My boys were 29 weekers. J cam home a day or two shy of 38 wks. He was still on an apnea monitor. Be prepared for lots of bradys and apneas. Those darn monitors kept beeping. He rarely needed stimulation and popped out on his own. I had two sets of shots. One at 24wks then again the day before I delivered. J had low first apgar but then shot right up and was on cpap right away. Never needed a vent. They lose weight the first few days and need two wks to come back up. Expect blood draws and testing. The first day or two are a honeymoon period. Usually the best that they do, then if anything is to be a concern, it then pops up. The drs want them to have a BM to show that nec is not a problem. If no bm in 24 hrs, they will use suppositories. Expect antibiotics the first week or so immediately to help catch and ward off any possible infections. Also, if there is someone with you, have them take lots of pics of babies for you. I was so drugged from the scary complicated csection I couldn't even make i t to see them that day. There wiill be lots of lines and ivs but take those pictures! And push for kangaroo holding if they are no on oscillator vent. Let me know if you have any questions pm if you like. :) best of luck and congratulations!

As a mum I'd say be prepared for how small your little girls will look, I knew the baby would be small but it didn't prepare me for how small, have they gave you an indication of their weights, I'm guessing 2lbish?

The NICU will be very dark, very quiet but with lots of alarms sounding all the time, you will find as much time looking at the monitors as you do the girls, I'd recommend as soon as your able to take in the info ask the nurses to explain each of the different alarms, there is nothing worse than hearing the alarm and not knowing what it means, as Shelby says for the first few weeks expect lots of desats and bradys.

The girls may need to be ventilated and may be a while before they are breathing on their own. We got to the stage where Daniel was on low flow nasal prongs, he'd do well so they would turn it down, he'd struggle and have to turn it back up! Very frustrating.

You will have 24 hour access so if you need to see them during the night to feel settled by all means call down and visit. Even if your not planning on BF/expressing get small blankets you can use in their incubator and wear them on your body to gather your scent this is supposed to be very calming and I found that while I was helpless in their care I knew that by having done this, he at least had a little bit of me in their with him.

Good luck, hoping even an extra day for you and your girls xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"