What do people think about breathing/movement monitors

KETER

Reaction score
Does anyone have one and think they are a good idea i cant decide whether to get one as the cot death society state that they dont prevent cot death !!!! Thanks

I never bothered... They really dont prevent SIDs... by the time the baby stops breathing it would be too late anyway. Unless you knew infant CPR ... I think they cause alot of extra worry IMO because they can go off with nothing to worry about.

I am a very anxious person and I was advised not to get one because of false alarms. I did not listen and got one anyway, I have the small pager type one that goes on the nappy. When there is no movement detected after 20 seconds it vibrates and tickles her tummy, if still nothing it will alarm.
I ummmed and arrred for days and in the end went for it.
To be honest I have had plenty of false alarms but it doesnt make me worse, I hear it tickle her a few times, it may be that the sensor has come away from her body or she has held her breath but I lie there and listen to the tickle and then hear her make a noise or move and I just feel relief. It has even alarmed a fair few times and again I hear her making noises or moving so i I do leap up but just as not to let it wake her more than me being scared that its gone off.
A few times it has fallen off the nappy which is why its gone off. I am not sure about the under matress ones, just telling my experience on the one I have.
I asked my mum in the end and she said knowing you I know you will get one no matter what I say but I do think you should as I know how anxious you are. I just hope and pray it never goes off for real *touches wood*
I cant advise to go for it or not, all I can say is that it does put my mind at rest and I'd rather have false alarms than not. If that makes sense. Most of the professionals say not to bother, I guess its just personal choice and how worried you may get with false alarms. All I know is it puts my mind at rest and prevents me checking on her every time I can't hear her.
Do what you feel you need to do is the advice I give.

I am planning to use one, people I have asked (IRL) that used them said thy are brilliant and just put your mind at rest. I know everyone has ther own opinions but I think for me its defo what I want to use. xxx

All I know is it puts my mind at rest and prevents me checking on her every time I can't hear her.

Ditto. I bought ours when Colton was 3.5-4 months old as I was going to put him in his crib. Although, he wasn't exclusively in there, he went in every now and then and I love it. Now he is in his crib for all naps and night time and I still use it.
Like Fossey said, it keeps me from going in there to check on him whenever I cannot hear him. :happydance: Otherwise I would be up and down all night checking on him!!

I have one but I have stopped using it as Joseph is such a wriggler that he doesn't stay on it and the alarm goes off all the time. I did find it really useful for extra reassurance when he was a newborn though, now he's a really noisy sleeper so i know he's ok! xx

We had one given to us so we used it but if we hadnt been given it we wouldnt have bothered buying one i must admit though ours has only ever gone off twice and they were both false alarms simply because this is when leeon was about 7 months old and had started sleeping on his tummy and it musnt have been picking his breething/movements up so it is totally upto you but IMo a waste of money unless your baby is born with breething difficulties x

I was a total paranoid mum when Gabbi was born and my mum brought one over for me. I have it on all the time but OH can't see the point. Well I was checking on her all the time plus OH doesn't hear anything in the night anyway, so it is for my peace of mind, I sleep soundly. I don't care if I ever get a false alarm, doesn't bother me at all. After a friend of mine almost lost her boy, it made me glad that I got one. She went out and bought one straight away and it's helped them relax more.

NO, it does not prevent cot death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->