What do you do if your lo doesnt want to eat their dinner?

porkypig

Reaction score
Do you cook them something else or let just just eat what youve made and if they dont then thats it? my lo usually eats well but sometimes he does not want his dinner in the evevning or will only pick at it-what do you all do? x

i leave them if they dont eat it, i cook them the same as i cook for me and hubby and nothing else x

If I know it's something she likes, I wont make something else. I just let her get down, offer it one more time, then maybe give her a piece of fruit or something before bed.

I only make one meal. I found that if I leave her long enough she will eat it. She wouldn't starve herself if she was hungry. She tantrumed tonight because she didn't want her dinner. She had quite a big lunch though. In the end she had a yoghurt and an orange and I put her dinner in the fridge for tomorrow. I wouldn't have stood making another meal :)

I let my little one take control she is 13 months. If she doesn't eat all of her tea then I just carry on as normal and give her the usual yoghurt or fruit but (touch wood!) to date she has not been a fussy eater just eats when she is hungry and the amount she wants. I try not to stress over it and have faith in she will eat what she wants (within reason) when she wants.

I don't make him anything else, unless we're having something spicy which I know he doesn't like. If he doesn't want to eat, I leave it - it may be because he's had a late lunch or something. :)

Amy's quite fussy, as is my eldest daughter, but if they dont eat whats put in front of them, they dont get anything else made, although i will let them have a bit of fruit, cheese or yoghurt before bed,so at least theyve had something. Hoping the perseverance pays off! xxxxxx

Much the same as the others, unless she was ill then I wouldn't make something else and she'll have something plain like weetabix before bed so she's had something to eat.

Tom gets funny with his food sometimes so we usually try him with a bit of apple or grapes.

If she refuses to eat her dinner, I try not to make a big fuss. I still give her yogurt and fruit as normal when I have finished my dinner, but I don't make her anything different (although I might give her a little snack with her bedtime bottle).

She usually has a big breakfast, and if she doesn't eat much lunch she will have a snack mid pm, so over the course of the day she eats plenty.

If its something he has never had before and he really didn't like it then I would offer give him some extra salad, sandwich etc but I wouldn't cook something else from scratch.

If he was just being fussy and totally refusing his food I take it away and offer it to him 30min later, usually that does the trick.

i dont ever make an alternative, i may give her a more substantion desert like fruit and a yoghurt instead of just one!
Lou
xxx

If she doesnt eat it then so be it. I dont offer anything else apart from maybe some fruit after.

Much the same as the others! He doesn't get anything else, unless its something new and I think maybe he doesn't like it. Then he'd get a sandwich or toast or something.

he tends not to want milk at bedtime, but I always try and get him to have some the nights he doesn't eat much dinner

when she was younger and jsut weaning i'd make her something else like a sandwich or toast.
now she gets nothing else, we just move on to pudding (which is always either a yogurt or fruit)

the other night she went to bed having completely refused her dinner and her pudding- she slept through so i assume she just wasnt hungry.
she ate normally the next day-
she wont let herself starve

If he refuses completely or barely touches it I take it away and let him down before offering again 40min later.

If he eats half or more & a dessert (fruit, yog, rice pud etc) was planned then that still gets offered.

I never make a different meal.

He gets supper each eve which is usually bread and butter or leftover dinner or a banana & a biscuit.

i just leave it until he does want it, sometimes he just isnt hungry! if its something new though or something he might not like then ill make something else.

I give him yoghurt & a cheese slice

i never make a fuss, normally because she eats so well, and just offer her fruit and yoghurt afterwards. it's mainly because she's had a bigger lunch, i wouldn't cook her anything else as long as i no she likes her dinner.
now she's older i find it easier because i ask her want she wants for lunch and dinner, that way she eats it :D

Much the same here, if I know she likes what I have offered, then I just give her yoghurt / fruit / a sugar free biscuit / some cereal when I have finished eating my meal. Generally though, anything more substantial like toast or cereal gets rejected if the main meal has been. I trust her to eat the amount she needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->