What do you think about baby leashes?

I have to have a wee giggle cause I've just read this entire thread and watched it go from civil to accusatory due to one person's posts. Honestly, if you don't agree, that's fine, but don't automatically jump to accusatory comments because let's face it, we don't know each other's situations. :flower:

Let's see: I never had them, nor did my brother, but we were taught from an early age that being out in public meant that we had to stay close to Mommy and Daddy and not wander off. It was the privilage of going out and it meant we had to behave or go home. I know DH had them and so did our niece when she was younger. I honestly don't know what I'll do with LO when he starts to walk. I suppose it just depends on the situation. I hope I can do my best to teach him that going out is a privilage and he needs to be safe and listen to Mommy and Daddy, but I can't predict the future. I have nothing against parents that use them for safety reasons, but I can't stand the ones that drag their children by them. That does anger me.

I will be using one on "special" occassions..
when we out in town and on busy roads, I will use one
when we are at a crowded mall, I will used one
Anytime my attention might be diverted , I will be using one.

My worst nightmare would be for my child to dart away from me and get hit by a car or stolen by a stranger !!

I don't care how silly it looks..

I don't think they look silly at all :shrug: Never even knew anyone was 'against' them (how weird to be against a safety object?) until BnB! :lol:

I've noticed it seems to be another of those US/UK divides because I've never known anyone personally that has used one and I have only ever seen them misused. So it does look silly to me when I see them. But tons of the UK ladies on here use them and seem to really like them. I mean I'm sure there are tons of people out there in this country that use them correctly but I haven't personally seen it. :lol:

Whats the incorrect way to use them?

People that drag their kids around and literally act like it's a dog on a leash. It's pretty much the only way I've ever seen them used. The parents aren't even trying to hold their kids hand to guide them places, they just yank on the rope part(I don't know what to call it) and drag them.

Well I cant say thats what I usually see and I live in the UK where they do seem to be more popular.

sometimes ive had to "drag" zane while hes holding my hand because hes refusing to walk.

but anyway i will be taking my "leash" to ibiza with us this weekend as i dont fancy losing my son in a different country and he wont sit in a buggy.

Emma is 22 months. She does understand that she should hold my hand. That is very clear from the way she looks at me when she lets go. However, does she understand that letting go and running on the road may result in her serious injury? No. She has no clue and tbh I wouldn't expect her to either.

We walk all over the place and until a point that she has some concept of road safety we will continue to use reins. Learning to be safe on the road/ pavement is something that takes time. You can't tell a child once and then expect them to follow the rules.

I don't think I've ever seen a kid being dragged on reins unless they're doing the sitting down thing and teh parent is furiously trying to get them to stand and walk :rofl: Usually if amelie had reins on, she'd be walking infront of me anyway so I could see her.

I use them and am very grateful of them. Caleb loves to walk then run and he seems so fast. Even if we just go over to the field its nice just to have the reins and we can walk together and I have the added safety xx

I never set out to use a safety harness. I think it depends on your child and their temperament. My oldest child is a high energy little buy. He is now 2.5 and we hardly ever use it now. I used it last while in Sydney as he has a fascination of trains and runs at them! We were managing two toddlers and two bags as we traveled from NZ and it was just a safety precaution if he let go of my hand. I don't use it as a substitute for holding a parents hand or the pram etc but I would rather know that safety chain is there so to speak. I don't think that it is lazy at all. My husband and I are very clear that our kids shouldn't run out on the road etc but a two year old isn't wired to understand actions and consequences. Their inbuilt impulsivity is a stronger instinct that their logical reasoning. Some parents in our coffee group have children that listen very attentively and stay very close to their parent. I and some others have impulsive and highly explorative children. It would be stupid to ignore that and not take the precaution.

Having a safety harness on a child is not a substitute for parenting. Just like having a dog on a lead is not a substitute for training. Anyone dragging a dog along is not training them. A well trained dog walks next to their pack leader on a lead but it takes a wee while to develop. A developing toddler can not be taught road safety rules in an instance. It takes their brain to connect the dots, them to listen and not be tempted to run over to that bus and a mother or parent that is never distracted. I find that all too much of a gamble until you develop a confidence in your child and they listen to you when you say 'stop'.

We are getting Lo a little life backpack that has reins attached to it. At 16mths he doesn't know the concept of road safety and won't hold hands as he feels he is Mr independence :lol:

I got a free set of reigns when I attended the Sure Start Home Safety talk! We got a whole load of stuff including a safety gate. They can be used to strap a child to a highchair with a 5 point harness if the chair just has a lap belt.

I am sure I will use them at some point, i live by the beach so will be handy for lo to explore, but be safe :)

My best friend has triplets and when I first heard of them I was like Whattttt but now I understand why she has them :wacko: my god without them she would be a wreck. I am for them :thumbup:

I have never used them. I prefer to teach my children how to walk safely, and not run off. To hold my hand, or the stroller. I have seen some kids in them, and they run wild in them pulling the parents along. Not my show. To each their own. My oldder two kids walked at 9mths and 10mths and I was able to hold heir hands otherwise they learned they would sit in the stroller. They learned this right away, and there was never an issue.

I prefer to teach my child to be safe, but until he's old enough to properly understand the danger and obey, I have reigns to prevent him accidentally getting himself killed.
A parent who has an uncontrolled child on reigns is clearly not bothering to use them properly.

it's all very well and good saying "id prefer to teach my child to be safe" but what about when you have a fiercely independent early walker who is utterly fearless? My daughter is like this, so most of the time when we are out and about she is in the buggy but she gets really fidgety and tries to escape or simply just starts writhing and screaming because she doesn't like being in it for long. If I try to hold her hand, she slaps me away. If I hold her hand tightly so she can't let go, she goes limp and throws herself down on the ground. At the end of the day, her safety is paramount and I have and use a little life backpack with great success. She walks beside us, the strap is usually limp so it's not like she's pulling or anything, but if she decides to dart off, she doesn't get far!

id love to see someone try to talk sence to a 1 yr old plus about road safety.
ive hardly had to use the reins recently because zanes going thru a good phase of holding my hand, still doesnt mean hes not going to act his age and make a run for it if he feels like it.

while my son was on reins he was being taughts road safety, its not like i thought oh well ile stick these on so he doesnt have to be taught

My girls are two and still dont really understand about road safety, when we leave home for nursery I tell them that they must hold hands and look before they cross but I have to be really careful with two of them one could easily run off. Its not always about people using them in a wrong way because some children are independant and dont want to wear them so they throw a tantrum in the middle of a busy supermarket.

I'm for them, I have said before I would rather my child alive and well than injured or worse still killed for running out in a road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->