What do you think about baby leashes?

I have bought some for Alfie but haven't used them yet. I didn't really like the idea of them, but I prefer the the thought of him on a leash to him getting lost in a busy crowd or a shop, especially as he is still very young and cant communicate verbally at all. I imagine getting on the tube or something and him pulling his hand out of mine and him getting left at one tube station while im on the way to the next one!!! Even though realisticly I would pick him up but you know what I mean! Also my OH pointed out that if my wobbly walker takes a tumble, you can break their fall!

I have a backpack monkey one for my 2 year old and in IMO i would rather have them on a 'leash' then under a wheel of a bus!

i don't really like them TBH. But I can see why some people may need to use them for some children.

my parents had one for my younger brother as he would just run away allllllll the time. not sure i like the idea of them but they're great for some children.

are leashes what we would call reign's in the UK?

I don't see a problem in them, as long as they are used properly. My eldest sis used one for her son as he was a little tear away and would try to run off but he didn't like being pushed in his buggy!

I have seen some people really pull on them though and the little kid goes flying :( not nice! x

I've never liked the idea of them and never used them... both my children are now way beyond the age for it now, but I never had any need for the things :flower:

I bought and used one for Landon once. It was when my dad passed away and I had to fly out with Landon, then 4, Casen almost 3 and Hayden just 4mo...it was just me and all 3 boys going through the Denver International Airport to the DFW airport, 2 of the busiest. I had Hayden in a carrier, Casen in a stroller and then Landon with the backpack leash and all of our carry ons. To me it was a safety thing, I didn't have an extra hand to hold his and that way no one could come between us because it would have only taken a 2nd and someone could have been gone with him and I wouldn't ave been able to do anything. Other than that time through the airports it's never been used again with any of the boys, other than circumstances like that I don't like to see them used and have never had a need for them and Hayden is one stubborn independent toddler lol. I just don't really like them but felt I really needed to use it at that time

I bought and used one for Landon once. It was when my dad passed away and I had to fly out with Landon, then 4, Casen almost 3 and Hayden just 4mo...it was just me and all 3 boys going through the Denver International Airport to the DFW airport, 2 of the busiest. I had Hayden in a carrier, Casen in a stroller and then Landon with the backpack leash and all of our carry ons. To me it was a safety thing, I didn't have an extra hand to hold his and that way no one could come between us because it would have only taken a 2nd and someone could have been gone with him and I wouldn't ave been able to do anything. Other than that time through the airports it's never been used again with any of the boys, other than circumstances like that I don't like to see them used and have never had a need for them and Hayden is one stubborn independent toddler lol. I just don't really like them but felt I really needed to use it at that time

OMG supermama!
I can't imagine that!!! You are soo brave, I would've been shitting myself I'm sure! haha

I don't like them. I don't like the look of a kid on a "leash." IMO.

We have 2 kinds, the old school ones and a wee dog backpack. Emma does not hold your hand for more than about 10 seconds at a time but she wants to walk,not use the buggy. If we didn't use them then she would be off and onto the road/ crashing into people/ etc. Have no problems with them. The alternative would be to put her in the buggy everytime we are out which would be ridiculous as she is a capable walker and would also scream blue murder at being contained. If you have the type of child who will walk alongside you then that is great, if not then I can't see the problem with using them.

I remember having them as a toddler and I can remember so many times my Dad managed to stop me falling flat on my face because of them and it is reassuring to know your parents are not going to be far away. But the reason I will be getting some is that kids sometimes run off and I feel they are a much safer option. It is all well and good saying about road safty but that is hard for a toddler to grasp and even if they do you never know if one day they will think it is funny to just test it out (I know for a fact this sort of thing happens as I knew not to open a door of a moving car but did it anyway when I was a toddler!). Plus, (and I know that I sound like a worrier and I guess I am) but it makes it a lot harder for people to kidnap a kid attached to their parent. DH wants one of the bee backpack ones I am happy to go for the sort I had. I will not be dragging him by them, he will be able to go at his own pace and we can always use the pushchair until he grows out of it too.

I have actually never seen them misused personally (not saying it does not happen), I see far more people dragging kids by their arm or walking too fast while holing hands. I think some people should use them though as I hate seeing kids whose parents are not watching them one bit. All kids have the odd tantrum so it would be silly to judge someone if their kid is acting up but some parents actually do not care. I have being in shops before and had kids hitting me and other people there with stuff they found in the shop and their (admittedly chavy) Mum could not care less. I have also seen kids running into the road so many times too. So I find it odd that someone would have an issue with a parent using reigns. :shrug:

I fully support the use of these things. I had one when I was a kid and it never done me any harm.....if anything is kept me out of harms way :) ......only my Gran used it though.

I'd defo use them on my kids in the future if I feel its necessary. It's a safety precaution that is all. It only takes a split second for you to take your eyes off a kid and they'll run off....I know, i've done it :haha:

I use reins on Katie otherwise she will end up under a bus.

The kid is like a whippet, fast as hell.

They keep her safe and TBH i recommend them to people.
V xx

We have just got Daisy a set of reins and its already a reassurance that she can be independant like she wants to be and know shes safe at the same time. Although sometimes she does wait and put her hand up to hold mine which I love :cloud9: x

reins equal safety...i watch isabel like a hawk and never allow her out my vision when out, yet she still manages it and i have to have eyes everywhere and move swiftly to maintain sight of her a lot of the time! reins mean i can look away to hand over money at a till or read a label without her slipping off

toddlers are very quick and clever at disappearing and think its a fantastic game...which perhaps it is...until something awful happens as a result

also she is my everything so i am far more aware of her safety than a friend or family member IMO so if someone else had care of her i would not be able to relax unless they had reins on her to ensure she could not come to harm

I HATE them! IMO it doesn't teach a chid independance it does the oposite, how can you say it teaches a child when they wont learn anything, you're just pulling the child out of the way of this and that and stopping them from falling ect ect, they wont learn! Children need to learn to be safe, they need to learn to cross the road, they need to learn to take responsibility, IMO if they aren't old enough or smart enough to know that they have to hold hands/hold the buggy/ stay close to mummy, then they should still be in a buggy! Not on a LEASH! It's a child, not a dog.

we have some for kyle and there great he can walk slightly further away from me, but if i see him entering a dangerous situation i can stop it and he is a child who would run and run.

I disagree with above because even on his rains when we come to a road i get him to stop hold mummys hand and look both ways. So i am teaching him and giving him independance at the same time. Id rather have my child on a "leash" and teach him safety while letting him walk without having to hold hands than my child be killed by walking into a road because i could not catch up with him.

But why wouldn't you be able to catch up with him? I don't think that you can effectively teach a child road safety on a leash when it doesn't matter if he stops because he's on a leash? That 'safety net' is IMO not just being safe but being lazy.

But why wouldn't you be able to catch up with him? I don't think that you can effectively teach a child road safety on a leash when it doesn't matter if he stops because he's on a leash? That 'safety net' is IMO not just being safe but being lazy.

the not catching up was what could happen to some people i was not directing that one at myself. So i guess you would say stairgates/baby monitors/ plug covers/draw locks ect are all just parents being lazy rather than wanting to protect their child?

I mean lets face it when roads come into play even teenagers dont seem to have any road sence so how the hell can we expect 1year+ children to understand straight away? Ive even seen adults walk straight into the road infront of a car without looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->