what do you think i should do?

mum2b2009

mummy of two boys!
Reaction score
we have been invited to my OH uncles house for boxing day which is kind of them but the thing is they smoke like chimneys and so do a few others who are going to be there. I have nothing against smoking if that is what you want to do in your own home but i am not happy that my 5 week old will be in a smokey atmosphere breathing in the smoke as they will not smoke outside. My OH said we should pop around for an hour or 2 ...... i am not happy about it really but do not want to seem rude neither. any advice? what would you do? x

If they smoke in the house I most def would NOT go. I won't let my kids (ages 6, 4 and 2) go to their "nonnies" (my mom) home because her, her boyfriend and his mom all smoke inside, I certainly wouldn't with a newborn :(

just explain its not healthy for your lo lungs to be in a smoky atmosphere for that long, could they smoke outside for sake of lo?............i wouldnt back down if i was you.

don't back down, they should have a little more respect. my grandmother goes into the kitchen when we are down and opens the window. i've never asked her to,it's just what she does.

me and OH has had arguments about this type of thing, as I don't want LO visiting his dad as he smokes like a chimney inside. i said if he wants to see our daughter he can come visit us :shrug:

No. I once accidentally took Ruby to a house in which the people smoked, a colleague's house, I didn't know they smoked inside. I felt very bad, and wouldn't take her then again. When we want to see them, which we do, they can come to us :)

Agree to going but only on the condition there is no smoking in the house. If they don't agree then don't go. I really can not stand people who smoke around children, like they have a choice.

Me personally? I wouldnt go. Just explain to them that its not good for your LO to be in a smoky atmosphere, and say you wouldnt want to make them feel bad for smoking in their own home (that way you've turned it around and made it into you doing them a favour by not going!).

Your baby hun, you can choose to do or not do whatever you want.

Personally i wouldnt go because even if u spoke to them and asked them not to smoke when u are there the house is still going to be stinking of smoke, esp as there are 3 of them constantly smoking in there. I would be honest and tell them why and maybe invite them to yours or even u could suggest u all go out for something to eat together them that avoids even having to speak to them Kx

nope i wouldnt go, oh wouldnt want us to either...

like already mentioned even if they dont smoke tht day smoke lingers for a long time xxx

I think I'd only go if they agreed to smoke outside while LO was there. I know smoke lingers but if you only stayed an hour and they didn't smoke during that time then hopefully it'd be ok. LO is just too young to have someone smoking in the same room, you'd hope people would respect that.

I most definitely wouldn't go. I don't know if I'd have the courage to tell them why though as I'm too shy when it comes to things like that. I think a good compromise would be to go out for a meal somewhere instead.

Honestly, I would go but would ask them to smoke outside or at least in another room while you are there. I am sure this is going to be a VERY unpopular statement but I feel you can not keep a baby sheltered from things like that forever. If it is for a short time and they are not smoking right near the baby, they'll be fine. (Assuming the child is in good health and has no history of breathing issues.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->