• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What i the point in sterlising bottles from around 4 months onwards?

susan_1981

Mummy to 2 boys :)
Reaction score
Serious question. I just don't understand it. I still sterilise all his bottles and feeding equipment and will continue to do so until he is around 1 but I don't understand the point of it when everything goes in his mouth at the moment. All of his toys, my hands, the buttons on his coat, everything he can pick up. None of this is sterlised so I just wonder what is the point in sterlising his bottles? x

I stopped that crap a long time ago probably when he was 3 months old as he got more needy and I just didnt have the time.

oh edit: and my child is perfectly fine!

We stopped at 4 months. The U.S. recommendation is only until 3 months. Theres really no point after that since everything goes in thier mouth.

The only reason I could think is if there was still some yucky milk in there that could have grown bacteria that might make him sick but if they are washed I don't see that happening.. Your right though, everything else is going in there..what's the point.

DH still does this to all of LO's bottles, cups, some toys. I tell him he doesn't need to anymore but he says he is bored and has nothing else to do.

Lingering formula breeds bacteria. In the UK it's recommended to sterilise bottles until you no longer use formula.

There's no point. I don't sterilize at all.

Thanks. I may stop then. It just seems pointless. I always wash his bottles thoroughly and if he's exposed to a few extra germs, it'll help his immune system I'd guess x

It's the holes in the nipples that are the main problem- it's practically impossible to ensure there's no milk in there that can breed bacteria.

I think its the milk issue (bacteria in the teat needs to got rid off!) Its just bottles I'll sterelise til he's one and wash toys in soapy water regularly but you're quite right - the world isn't sterile and you can only do your best.

My first I sterilized till he was 2. He had formula till 3.4 yrs tho. My new baby, I rarely sterilize anything. I bf mainly, with one bottle of formula in the eve. X xir

We dont sterilize at all, and haven't with any of my children. When my ODD was discharged from the NICU they even said that it wasn't necessary. Their bottle could grow bacterica, as well as their toys, your hands, pacifier, the side of the stoller and the like. my YDD always has something in her mouth.

I don't think there's any point at all even before that, I've never done it aside from boiling them when they're brand new out of the package. I soak them in hot water before washing and the dish soap I use is antibacterial, good enough.

I just wash in extremely hot water and baby dish soap, I stopped sterilizing last month. I also soak the bottles so there's no crust in them. The nipples I can tell are clean because they're clear silicone and I use the bottle tool to clean them.

My LO puts everything in her mouth, including people's fingers. That has to be much dirtier than her bottles. ucky

interesting thread! i planned to keep sterilizing til lo is one, which is only another 3 months. but i can see no point in it as everything goes in his mouth too. toys, clothes, fingers, the straps on the highchair, anything he can get his hands on, and we cant sterilise everything!

i wash the bottles in hot soapy water and rinse them. i squirt soapy water through the teats, and then clean water through too, so i know the holes are clean and not blocked. then i sterilise. i might give up sterilsing after reading this thread. especially seeing as so many of you dont bother anymore!

its because formula is not sterile and the illnesses that it can cause, albeit rare, are far more dangerous than anything they will get by putting things in their mouths

I stopped around 4 months (purely circumstance, the microwave broke and I couldn't afford another or an electric steriliser and didn't like the idea of using the fluid stuff). I scalded everything until about six months with boiling water then moved on to just washing them, but the change never affected him at all. I never considered a bit of rogue formula might be more dangerous than him sucking on pram wheels or having a sly lick of the soles of my shoes, but either way he was never sick (and never has been come to think of it! Poor thing is going to sh*t himself the first time he vomits :lol:)

its because formula is not sterile and the illnesses that it can cause, albeit rare, are far more dangerous than anything they will get by putting things in their mouths

That doesn't have anything to do with sterilizing clean bottles though :shrug:

Because bottles and milk can contain food born bacteria which is much more serious than general household bacteria which is what they are exposed to when they lick the floor etc. We are exposed to food born bacteria much less due to good hygiene practices so have little tolerance to it and it can make us very poorly indeed as anyone who has ever had food poisoning knows. So sterilising bottles is about removing potentially dangerous food born bacteria and has nothing to do with household bacteria on toys etc which we are all exposed to on a daily basis and have a good toleration of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->