What makes you feel old?

Harveysmum369

Mrs Christmas
Reaction score
Things for me:

-Remembering Take That the 1st time round

-Remembering petrol being 54p a litre!

My baby sister turning 18 this year!

House hunting and preparing to get a mortgage!

Good idea for a thread :)

*My little SIL referring to the Backstreet Boys as "old school" :haha:

*Music from the 70's is on the oldies station; when I was little, they played music from the '40's-50's.

*Realizing that some of the 'grown-up' professionals that I see (doctors, lawyers, bankers) are my age- or younger!

I think see toys and cartoons that were popular when I was a child, making a big come back with this generation (Strawberry Shortcake etc)

Dancing to music from when I was in high-school. (Barbie girl anyone) Makes me smile when I hear it.

My OH been younger than me LOL

My nephew turning 12 last week!!

Talking about Ken and Barbie and my 6 year old niece asking are they like Bratz dolls

I was talking about this earlier - going into Hollister & hearing myself sounding like my mother 'Ooo its very dark in here, how am I meant to see the clothes in the dark? They should give you a torch if they're going to make clothes shops this dark!'

Going out to the pubs - I feel ancient compared to the drunk 18-20 year olds.

Being called madam or lady by shop assistants

Watching the music channels and thinking about how to put a parental lock on them so LO can't watch them as she gets older

The Vintage TV music channel! It needs to either change its name or stop playing stuff I remember being released.

When i try and stand up when i'm sitting on the floor and my knees are stiff and i cant get up :haha:

when my 15 year old cousin tells her friends im her old cousin (im 20)
the price of cigarettes i remember 10 being £1.89 now they are about £3
the size of wheatabix they've shrunk
people in shops or the street referring to me as the lady

When I struggle to get up from floor or sofa or when I get puffed out going upstairs.

Also, as soon as I get home I put the kettle on

I am turning into my mother!

my daughter turned 10 last yr.. i wondered soo much where the time went and that im gettin 2 month after her bday 30 lol therre i fel really old

Seeing that people who are adults were born in 1990-something

The man in the garage telling me my car was 'getting on a bit' - I was about to object before I realised I've had it since I was 18, which is nearly 11 years ago

My nephews having kids of their own :wacko:

My niece drinking Whisky and going to Uni!

Remembering early 90's music and some workmates don't have a clue who your on about

Filling in forms and I have to check the '35+' section :(

The ache in my back when I carry Charlie upstairs...

Loads of things really ;)

Remembering when the Nokia 32/10 etc were all so popular!:haha:
& When penny sweets would be 1p each x

- Talking to 1st year students and realising that they're still so naive and idealistic and then realising that I was like that once and now I'm jaded and cynical!

- Not being a student anymore!

- Having mothers tell their children to "mind the lady" when they're in front of me in the street/ shops.

- Having so many weddings to go to in the next few years, some of them where the bride's younger than me!

- Planning a family! I'm ready but it's still a shock sometimes to remember that I'm at a point in life when it's right for me!

- Having a group of friends that are more like family to me than my actual family and who accept me for me. Being able to piggy back off this fact and actually talk down my parents and be strong in my opinions and feelings towards them instead of hiding them away like I always used to.

- Having lifetime membership to RocSoc- and knowing that I'd be getting it anyway this year, regardless of my services to the committee!

- Realising that planning a holiday with friends will take almost as much effort as my wedding did because everyone's scattered across the country!

- Having mates who started uni after me graduating and having another friend most of the way through his PhD!

- Drinking and getting drunk most nights having lost it's appeal! It's OK going out for a couple of drinks and the odd pub crawl every so often but I usually order soft drinks when I'm out now and probably would even if I had the money! I'm in the pub at least 3 nights a week and only have a drink once every couple of weeks. I prefer drinking at home and having people round for a party!

- Finding my feet when it comes to being a hostess! I've gone from a really awkward hostess who hated throwing the party to someone who throws parties every couple of months and offers to cook for groups of 10 + people!

There's lots of things really! Mostly stemming from living in a student town and being part of societies that are predominantly aimed at students! I'm only 22 and I actually described an idealistic 18 year old as a baby last night!! :dohh:

Beca :wave:

For me:

My cousin's children are 20 and 13 and I used to babysit them and change their diapers!! :shock:

Here I am 20 years later with still no children of my own and I'm pretty sure the 20 year old will have a kid before me. :rofl:

And the realization that I graduated from high school 15 years ago! :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->