What the hell is Katie Price playing at??

appearance shouldn't be important to children.

I get my confidence from my personality and how i hold myself not from how i look

I agree that there is a difference in taking care in your appearence and teaching that appearence is everything. My LO went out with a tutu over her leggings yesterday because she was playing being a fairy and didn't want to take it off. She looked like a nutter but she was only wearing it because she was playing, not because I was dressing her up

I agree that there is a difference in taking care in your appearence and teaching that appearence is everything. My LO went out with a tutu over her leggings yesterday because she was playing being a fairy and didn't want to take it off. She looked like a nutter but she was only wearing it because she was playing, not because I was dressing her up

That is so cute! I remember when my little sister insisted on wearing a bright turqouise, sequined sparkly mermaid costume to my grandma's birthday at a very fancy restaurant. How great is it to be a kid and be able to get away with that :rofl:

I personally dont see the big deal really. So shes straightened her kids hair once in a while, so what. Princess may have seen her mum doing it to her own hair and asked if her hair can be like mummies.
Its not like its dead dead straight, looks like Katie has just ran the strightners thru it a little.
Dont see it as a major issue, there are a lot more things going on in the world to get wound up about this! Its like when there is a pici of a celeb picking their nose making front page - OMG im sure we all have a little pick now and then!

That is so cute! I remember when my little sister insisted on wearing a bright turqouise, sequined sparkly mermaid costume to my grandma's birthday at a very fancy restaurant. How great is it to be a kid and be able to get away with that :rofl:

Lol! She was wearing Peppa Pig leggings, her coat and a pink net tutu pmsl. She looked ridiculous. But she was happy. Her hair was all over the place as well because she refused to let me put a bobble in it and we were rushing so I just left it

appearance shouldn't be important to children.

I get my confidence from my personality and how i hold myself not from how i look

I totally agree, but do you dress up for special occassions etc? Some people also like to dress up alot of the time too, (I do! But I still think personality is more important!) I don't think she's teaching her little girl that appearance is EVERYTHING? Well maybe she is, but we don't know that for a fact lol, and i'm sure she allows her to play about in the mud and stuff too. This picture or whatever doesn't mean that shes not allowed to be a kid, just because she has her hair straightened this time.

why cant kids just be kids? they dont need makeup or their hair done, yea they like to play dress up but to do it so they look better? sorry but i dont get it

Oh I agree. Children don't need anything to look better. They are all gorgeous just as they are.

The way I see it is that for certain events (parties and weddings etc) you'd put a smart suit or a pretty dress on your toddler. I don't know if I'll feel the same when they reach that age but at the moment I'd see no problem making an extra effort with hair etc on that occasion. I think children gain a lot from being taught to take pride in their appearance... whilst also being taught that appearance isn;t everything. Need to strike a balance xx

But you can teach a child to take pride in their appearance without the added extra's of make up and hair straighteners. Simply having a wash, brushing your hair into a nice style and wearing fresh clean clothes would suffice surely until they're a bit older for that kind of thing? Thats what I'd do anyway. :kiss:

why cant kids just be kids? they dont need makeup or their hair done, yea they like to play dress up but to do it so they look better? sorry but i dont get it

Oh I agree. Children don't need anything to look better. They are all gorgeous just as they are.

The way I see it is that for certain events (parties and weddings etc) you'd put a smart suit or a pretty dress on your toddler. I don't know if I'll feel the same when they reach that age but at the moment I'd see no problem making an extra effort with hair etc on that occasion. I think children gain a lot from being taught to take pride in their appearance... whilst also being taught that appearance isn;t everything. Need to strike a balance xx

But you can teach a child to take pride in their appearance without the added extra's of make up and hair straighteners. Simply having a wash, brushing your hair into a nice style and wearing fresh clean clothes would suffice surely until they're a bit older for that kind of thing? Thats what I'd do anyway. :kiss:

thats it :thumbup:

I dont personally like Katie Price, but I don't think she is a shockingly bad parent....like a PP said, at least she spends time with her children unlike other celeb mums.

I've straightened Graces hair two or three times now for special occasions, she likes to sit and watch me do my hair and make up and I really don't see the problem in letting her play too...she has a little bit of eye shadow and lip gloss on sometimes, likes having her nails done...its hardly a tattoo or dying her hair or something...its something that will wash off in the bath, return to being curly etc!

x

Bella has always had curly hair, right from when she was born, and at about 9 months, my sister babysat Bella and decided to straighen her hair. It looked like she had been electrocuted :rofl:

I wasn't bothered, it was just a one off :shrug: dont really see what the big deal is.

Found this on a website, but even so, I'm still not convinced. It's still definitely not something I'd do, but each to their own and all that.

"Even though they are safe to use on a child's hair, there are many precautions that need to be taken into consideration before using it. The first one is the temperature of the straightener being used, because one with high heat can actually damage the hair. When using it on a child's hair, it should be kept on a low setting to avoid the hair from burning and breaking off. Extra attention should be paid to any fine hairs in the front, as well as the ends of the hair since they are more sensitive to heat and can burn easily."

I'd be more worried about the danger of the heat.

What if you accidentally caught their ear or fingers and burnt it? I've done it to myself so many times, and kids are lot more wiggly than I am!

I too think there's a difference between dressing up and playing at home, and dressing your kid up 'to look nicer' when going out.

Who knows whether Katy did it for herself or because Princess asked her to as the woman is a crank and not quite the full ticket. Even those who know her can't understand her.. but when it comes to normal people then I think a bit of dressing up, make up and hair is fine.

Little girls do like to play dressing up and doing make up and hair and wearing pretty dresses and shoes, it's in their genetic make up (no punn intended), just like someone else said little boys like to play at being footballers, wrestlers and racing car drivers etc.. I don't see the harm in letting little girls do these things should they ask to. Whether they ask to or not depends on what they are into, which is normally influenced by what they see and are directed towards. If a little girl has a mum who doesn't "dress up" for occasions etc she probably won't show much interest at such a young age but if she see's mummy do her hair and make up she will probably want to copy. Also if they have little friends that are allowed to dress up then they are also gonna want to do the same. It doesn't mean she is being robbed of being a child or taught that appearence is everything. It's just imaginitive play IMO, which is a good thing.

This is what I'm teaching has to be done every day as a standard practice. Not just for special occasions. :shrug:

ive done my daughters hair, she is 4. my daughter has really thick curly hair and unless i was to wash and comb it out every day (which i dont 3 times a week her hair is washed) its nightmare to maintain. the hairdresser told me a one off now and again was ok so i pressume katy price who has the best of everything would know this... im sure she doesnt do it everyday as every other picture of her daughter she has curly hair. Aria loved the thought of her hair going to be straight and not tuggy the next day.

i still dont see whats wrong with making your children look nice, even if it is every day of the week! I personally would never just brush my childrens hair into a style, it would look messy. I do their hair everyday, for example in french plaits or a bun etc & they wear nice clothes every day without fail. they still act like children, so i havent robbed them of their childhood or made them obsessed with what they look like just because i dont let them go out of the house looking scruffy.

I'm really uncomfortable with parents putting makeup on their children. The first time I wore any was on my conformation at 12 years old, my mum but a little bit of bronzer on my cheeks. Now I'm 19 and while I wear make-up when I want to I don't feel the need to, most of the girls I know feel like they can't leave the house without it and honestly I just feel like it's sad being afraid to show your natural face.
I don't buy into that if a child looks good they feel good, until they realise that they are 'meant' to look a certain way it doesn't factor in at all and the longer they can go without bothering with that rubbish, the better.
Anyway there are so many chemicals in those kind of products that they really shouldn't be going on a child's skin, ditto with the heat of a straighteners on a child's hair
I'm not talking about as a one off dress-up kind of thing, I'm talking about dressing up to impress other people

I don't think occasionally would hurt but I personally don't see the point at that age.
My little girl has beautiful curly hair just like me and I am going to teach her to love it, when she is old enough to make the descion she wants it straight then it needs to be her choice.

Tbh I have only ever straightened G's hair once in 2.5 years and that was because I wanted to see how long it was (the ends of her hair curl) and then she has had her hair curled twice, once to see if she would sit still long enough to have it done for a wedding and again for the actual wedding. I painted her nails once because she pestered me. I don't see anything wrong with the occassional thing like that if it's a special occassion or if you are just playing around in the house. I don't agree with it just to "look good" G isn't really a girly girl so she would rather be rolling about on the floor and splashing in puddles rather than playing with make up and having her hair done. But it's nice to see her looking like a little girl once every so often if we're going somewhere special. The rest of the time her hair looks like a bird's nest and she has muddy knees :lol:

This is what I'm teaching has to be done every day as a standard practice. Not just for special occasions. :shrug:

Well...yeah, thats a given but I mean without adding all the other bits

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"