what to buy newborn baby help me with ideas?!

chimmi

Reaction score
hi ladies, i know its nothing to do with TTC but my sister is due to have her first baby next week, this is the first baby in our family and i have NO idea what to buy her for the baby!
she doesnt know the gender which makes it more difficult, and shes a super organised mum as she already has EVERYTHING they will need for the baby.
me and hubby have ordered a "100 year diary" to give her when he/she is born so my sister can record all the little details, and photos etc , and then pass it on to the child when he/she is 18 to carry on the diary.
i also wanted to get a little baby gift for the baby from myself, but literally dont know what to get. my mum has knitted 2 blankets, 4 cardigans (2 boys and 2 girls) AND a teddy bear..
has anyone who has actually had a baby got any ideas of a nice gift or something useful to get the baby that is a bit different and not the usual soft toy or blanket.
would be greatful for any help.
thanks in advance!
:)

when my good friend had her baby, she already had everything as well and they didnt know the sex either. i got her a moses basket and put rolled up diapers with cute bows on them inside, as well as a teether, a picture frame, and a necklace for my friend to wear that was pretty AND a teether for when she was holding baby. oh and a cute gender neutral outfit.

Thanks for your reply! theres a few ideas there for me.to look into. Thanks!x

She's got loads of muslin cloths and wouldn't know what size onsie to get...

This is nothing practical, but when I had my ds one of my best friends bought me a little wooden plaque that said "your first breath took ours away" I burst into tears when I opened it, it was so beautiful. We hung it in his room and every time I look at it, it makes me smile and think of the very first time I held my beautiful boy and how blessed we are. :)

honestly when i had DD, my favourite gifts were those that were for older children
clothes mainly. you get so many clothes in the 0-6month range that its nice to have something for later. I'd buy something for 6-12 months! sorta...look at the age the baby will be then and just buy practical stuff! it means that that 1 day when she tries to put LO in his 0-6month vests and realises they dont fit, its ok! because someone thoughtful bought the next size up! :haha:

Pinterest has so many wonderful ways to roll up diapers and display it in a cute and clever way that you can attach toys into. I totally agree with that gift. My son's first few months of life were spent in diapers that we got in a diaper "cake". Diapers are a boring gift to give, but they are so wonderful to receive!!!:flower:

I have a few suggestions!

*fisher price learning dog
It sings songs and has a red light up heart, in the early days I'd press it and the songs would keep him happy while I changed him (otherwise he'd scream when I undressed him) at 9 months old its one of his favorite toys and he can now press buttons himself

https://m.fisher-price.com/en_AU/m/brands/BabyToys/Products/30871

*google "on the day you were born certificate" shows all world events, and average prices of houses, cars and a loaf of bread on day of birth!

*ewan the dream sheep (or a similar sleep aid toy, I think fp do a seahorse) ewan plays lullabies and white noise with a heartbeat sound added, and his chest glows red similar to what baby sees from the womb.in the early days whenever he'd doze off I'd put ewan on and eventually he came to know that as the cue for sleep time. Even when he stirred through the night ewan hung from the top of bassinet and I'd just click him off and he'd resettle, he has a long Velcro tail so u can attach him to cot or when we go out at night I stick him to the pram so he sleeps while we have tea out. This seriously was a LIFESAVER for me!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0040JSN7Y

Here's it in action
https://youtu.be/E-i7tvFxSYM

*baby first aid kit. I just made one of these for my friend I just got a cheap Tupperware container and printed "baby jacks first aid kit" in red and stuck it on there. Inside I put baby Panadol, infacol/ infants friend, teething gel, a teether, a nose aspirator, a medicine dropper set, thermometer, laxative drops, antibacterial gel and wipes, nail set, first toothbrush, rash cream, and some body wash etc. a very practical gift and I know alot of things like the Panadol and laxative drops I didn't know I needed it til I NEEDED IT NOW and had to send mum out to get it ASAP.

Sorry if I repeated anyone I didn't read them all

Wow thanks for the replies! Lots of fab ideas I'm REALLY grateful! I will be googling lots tomorrow to sort out baby's presents! I like the idea of first aid kit as she probably doesnt have stuff like that, as you say its the sort if stuff you don't need till you NEED it!
Thanks again girls! Excellent :) x

I know, it's not stuff we thought of til he was screaming at 2am and we couldn't figure out why, then it was desperation! I just did one for a friends baby shower, she works in a hospital and heaps if her friends from work came and no one there had thought of it!

hi ladies, i know its nothing to do with TTC but my sister is due to have her first baby next week, this is the first baby in our family and i have NO idea what to buy her for the baby!
she doesnt know the gender which makes it more difficult, and shes a super organised mum as she already has EVERYTHING they will need for the baby.
me and hubby have ordered a "100 year diary" to give her when he/she is born so my sister can record all the little details, and photos etc , and then pass it on to the child when he/she is 18 to carry on the diary.
i also wanted to get a little baby gift for the baby from myself, but literally dont know what to get. my mum has knitted 2 blankets, 4 cardigans (2 boys and 2 girls) AND a teddy bear..
has anyone who has actually had a baby got any ideas of a nice gift or something useful to get the baby that is a bit different and not the usual soft toy or blanket.
would be greatful for any help.
thanks in advance!
:)

How about a foam bath support, this was a lifesaver for me, made bath times so much easier having both hands free! Or a thermometer you never know when you will need one. Fleecy wipes to be used as flannels or re-usuable wet wipes, nice and soft on delicate skin and no chemicals, just use with warm water. Calpol, teething gel, teething rings, infacol etc, first tooth and hair curl pots, birth certificate holder or once you know babies name a personalised wooden letter for first initial of babies name to go on bedroom door :) :flower:

ETA: does she have a musical night light or cot mobile? These have always
Kept mine entertained when awake and helped them to drop off to sleep my DD has one of these since birth,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00020IPDW

My friend got what I thought was a really practical gift, it was a book on simple healthy baby foods to make, these little trays where you freeze baby sized portions of food and a little bowl and spoon set :) she loved it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->