What to do about milk at 12 months?

Oooh I've just done a search and found that Alpro soya do a junior milk alternative that is suitable for 1yrs +

https://www.alprosoya.co.uk/soya-products/juniormilk.html?gclid=CPTj6e-y_KgCFcod4QodJim5TQ

Hope that helps xx

Ooooh thank you so much! I'll take a look now! :flower:

Yeah use the Alpro soya 1 year plus. Best not to over do the soya though so you could maybe use the soya milk as the main drink and use something like coconut milk for cooking. Babies can't have regular soya milk until they are at least two as it doesn't have enough fat and alternatives like rice milk aren't recommended at all as they may contain traces of arsenic and have little protein or fat. What milk to you drink yourself? I hate dairy too and drink soya myself but have choosen to give LO cows milk.

I do not want my daughter drinking cows milk as she is not a baby cow.

The milk she's on now (Cow & Gate Infasoy) says 'from birth to 12 months) So I'm guessing I can't keep using that?

What are you all doing?

Hi love, I'm not sure if there are any follow on soy formulas. It might be worth having a word with your hv - perhaps she could go onto normal soy milk instead?

Thank you for the only sensible suggestion :thumbup:

I had thought about normal Soy milk but not sure if it's okay for babies. I'm aware other formulas are cows milk based, but like I said, she's on Soy milk. I'm not a fan of cows milk, I don't believe there's much nutritional value to it so would rather her be on something a little better iykwim :flower:

I guess when I said the same thing in the first comment I wasn't being sensible

LO is on follow on milk, will stick with that for a while then go on growing up milk.

Formula is good to be used until 2 years old as they still need an extra boost :) Some doctor's and nurse's recommend it until 2. My daughter stopped breastfeeding at 13.5 months and she is still using formula, not cows milk :) Her tummy handles it so much better than the cows milk that's for sure. If you want to keep using it, go for it, it's better anyways :)

Goat's milk. It's much closer to human milk and is usually easier on their tummies and to digest as well.

FFS! It's one thing to just want your child to be on a certain type of milk for the nutrional value, but to say you don't want her to have cows milk bc she's not a cow is RIDICULOUS! If you eat meat, are you a cow, pig, chicken, etc? Because you eat only carrots are you a rabbit?? How silly.

I'm so skeptical of soy products so I avoid them.

And I drink raw goat's milk so will probably put LO on that when the time comes (we are obviously a ways off).

FFS! It's one thing to just want your child to be on a certain type of milk for the nutrional value, but to say you don't want her to have cows milk bc she's not a cow is RIDICULOUS! If you eat meat, are you a cow, pig, chicken, etc? Because you eat only carrots are you a rabbit?? How silly.

Thank god someone else said this :thumbup: soy milk may be fab for your LO but i really do think allowing her to drink some cows milk would avoid any issues with allergies and things and tbh i don't see the logic. broccoli may be better than carrots but you'd still give LO carrots. milk is in so many products and is available in schools, restaurants, play centres etc so if your LO is used to drinking cows milk even occasionally it will make it so much easier when you are out and about.

I was going to suggest maybe coconut milk, but you have to be careful as some of them contain sweeteners - I am not sure whether they are natural sweeteners.
Is you lo going to be vegan? If so I would reccommend going to Holland & Barrett and having a chat with them as they are very vegan and vege friendly.
A friend of mine still gives her lo formula, little Jessica is almost 2 now.
xxx

Well thank you for that completely unnecessary and rude judgement on my opinions there. Not that it's ANY of your business, but we are vegetarians so we don't eat any meat anyway. Cows milk has been evolving over hundreds of thousands of years for baby COWS, my daughter is not a cow, so the milk is not designed for her. It is a rubbish source of iron and actually hinders the absorption of iron in babies as well. The soy 1 year + milk IS designed for young toddlers, which my daughter is.

I find your examples to be ridiculous to be honest. Carrots are not only here to feed rabbits.

I suggest you take your judgemental attitude elsewhere.

The milk she's on now (Cow & Gate Infasoy) says 'from birth to 12 months) So I'm guessing I can't keep using that?

What are you all doing?

Hi love, I'm not sure if there are any follow on soy formulas. It might be worth having a word with your hv - perhaps she could go onto normal soy milk instead?

Thank you for the only sensible suggestion :thumbup:

I had thought about normal Soy milk but not sure if it's okay for babies. I'm aware other formulas are cows milk based, but like I said, she's on Soy milk. I'm not a fan of cows milk, I don't believe there's much nutritional value to it so would rather her be on something a little better iykwim :flower:

I guess when I said the same thing in the first comment I wasn't being sensible

I apologise, I didn't see your comment :flower: Thank you.

I always worry that they are producing so much soya now that some of the produce are GM products

I always worry that they are producing so much soya now that some of the produce are GM products

That was one of my worries. Hence the thread I suppose. I'm not sure what's best really!

That was one of my worries. Hence the thread I suppose. I'm not sure what's best really!

Its is so difficult to know which way to go - i am a meat eater and drink cows milk, and try and buy British purely as i know that they don't pump their animals with lots of drugs, but am always worried that if i order a meat dish from a restaurant, i cant guarantee where the meat has come from :nope:

The same with veg - i buy organics so they dont have chemicals on them, but they fly a lot of organic produce from around the world, so is it better to buy British veg with pesticides and save the planet or buy organics and say sod the planet :shrug: so many things to think about

This is something I've been wondering as I don't drink cows milk either. I don't really agree with adult humans consuming another species milk as it's designed to grow their own young, and we are not even close to being similar to the physiology of a cow.

I don't know whether I'll give my child cow's milk for a few years then "wean" them off it, or just avoid it from the start... Is it given for iron and calcium?

P.S. this might get more sensible replies in the natural section?

Well thank you for that completely unnecessary and rude judgement on my opinions there. Not that it's ANY of your business, but we are vegetarians so we don't eat any meat anyway. Cows milk has been evolving over hundreds of thousands of years for baby COWS, my daughter is not a cow, so the milk is not designed for her. It is a rubbish source of iron and actually hinders the absorption of iron in babies as well. The soy 1 year + milk IS designed for young toddlers, which my daughter is.

I find your examples to be ridiculous to be honest. Carrots are not only here to feed rabbits.

I suggest you take your judgemental attitude elsewhere.

im not saying i agree with prayinforbaby, but if u start a thread like this how can u not expect people to have opinions that conflict with yours?? you put it out there for the world to see, and invited them in, so you are making it our business!

What are you all doing?

Talk to your Dr before you make any diet changes. The internet is no place to find advice to adjust a diet of a child that young, dispite your diet choices. Her body has different demands than you right now and fats for brain development is one of them.

That being said, my DD has a milk allergy and at 10 months developed a soy allergy (after 6 months on it) so we ended up having to take her off all formula and give her rice milk, then for the extra omegas and such (for brain development), give supplements. Just be careful with the soy, because as we found out, feeding them soy so young can lead to an allergy developing.

I'm sure you're not the first veggie parent to wonder this, do some research, there are prob a butt load of veggy forums out there, print the info and take it to your childs Dr and ask their advice before changing anything though and get guidance

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->